Microsoft to unveil "playtable"

rabidrabbit said:
I was reminded by something from a couple of years back...
Actually I remember seeing a video a few years back that had most of playtable functionality - there wasn't any multi-touch that I can remember, but recognition of and transfers/communication between multiple devices on the desk was all present and working very much the same.

I can't quite remember who or where presented it though :cry:

I'm more worried about the durability of such a device, especially it's resistance to scratches and smudges on the tabletop.

The images are projected onto the surface, and the input is all captured via cameras.

The tabletop itself is an entirely passive piece of acrylic, so there's no reason to assume it isn't pretty durable. (Durability is also probably a good reason they don't use an active touch sensing surface.)

Also, at current stage it's too big and clumsy for home use. It needs a lot of space on the base of the table because of the projection system and all. Until they are able to make it "flat" and more portable, I don't see it becoming massmarket, certainly not something of a successor to xbox360.

The actual "hardware" itself isn't as interesting as the software and the design of the UI IMHO. There's no reason you couldn't have a vertical "Surface" that uses an LCD and a multi-touchscreen. The software behind it would all be the same.

The other thing to note that as is typical Microsoft fashion, there will be probably be dev tools, APIs, and an entire "platform" built, ready for 3rd parties to start writing applications that plug into "Surfaces" quickly and easily.

It will be quite interesting if, as a spin-off from Surface, you will see multi-touch APIs built into the next Windows, for example, and you start seeing other form-factor "Surface" machines using other methods of multi-touch recognition, perhaps even 3rd party machines.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually I remember seeing a video a few years back that had most of playtable functionality - there wasn't any multi-touch that I can remember, but recognition of and transfers/communication between multiple devices on the desk was all present and working very much the same.

No doubt people have been throwing around concepts and demos like this for decades, even MS said the ideas weren't new.

But going from a demo to a product isn't exactly trivial either.

I think reason people find it hard to see it working for applications other than image manipulation and DTP are because the well defined constructs of how a mouse and window work are now embedded in our culture.
On the whole I can agree with that on principle, but I'm usually pretty good at exploring potential. AFAICS the input options will primarily be the same as keyboard and mouse, only less tactile - you can press 'buttons' and move items. Controlling a bounding box with two fingers is definitely something new, but it's gameplay merits are limited in most genres. You could use it as a sort of 2D-motion control, tracing pathways. Well, in drawing control DS already shows what's possible. The other unique input it offers is area (I think. Or does it only register centre of contact?), so you could add a second analogue input to position of a contact. You could draw hard or softly, and affect the response that way. Perhaps draw a pathway gently and your FPS squad sneak, or draw it heavily and they rush?

On the whole though, I can't clearly see advantages to mainstream genres*. It'd be great for
Puzzles
Bowling
Cards
Strategies
and other simpler games.
I can't see it being a controller of choice for
FPS
Racers
Footy
Sports (though tactical sports games would work)
I think if the game moves towards tactical rather than arcade, it'll work well. eg. In a flight sim you wouldn't fly the plane directly. The best solutions for that would be sticks or motion control I think. But you could use the interface to select waypoints, targets, issue instructions to wingmen, etc. Likewise in American football it'd be great, selecting players and drawing paths, in a tactical game. Or in Soccer, managing your team as they play. For direct character control, more physical controls would probably be the people's choice, or looking forwards there'll be better interfaces like motion controls or image-recognition, that'll work more comfortably with the normal 'sat-on-couch-watching-TV' comfort position. The next Elder Scrolls game might work well on the PlayTable, drawing sword-swipes and easily managing inventory, but I think a Wii-type interface would be a better experience.

* Caveat : in 5 years time perhaps Wii will have redefined what's mainstream, and FPS, racers and sports are viewed as tidly little niches!

AFAICS the input options will primarily be the same as keyboard and mouse

Except with 10 buttons, more degrees of motion and more organic expression of movement. I can see it as a fantastic control method for FPS, and don't get me started on my beloved flight sims :)

OMG I'm an interface fanboi!!!!! I'm off to shoot myself now.

Back