Microsoft Shows off XBOX 360 HD

demonic

Regular
Dont move this to console, as focusing on PC....

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=3722

Didnt do a search. So at that price point of $199. Although it could come out at $149 if they want (Xbox + HDDVD) it significantly less than PS3 launch price.

Does this constitute as a win for M$?

Finally, its USB. Does that mean we could see a driver for the PC, for the drive? Coupled with some PC gfx cards capable of doing HD-DVD playback. Another source of revenue stream for M$?

Could we see PCs just being upgraded and no need to buy a player which retails at $500?

Dont move this to console, as focusing on PC....

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=3722

Didnt do a search. So at that price point of $199. Although it could come out at $149 if they want (Xbox + HDDVD) it significantly less than PS3 launch price.

I don't get it ... 299 + 199 = 498. PS3 is 499 ... $1 is significantly less? If they do it at 149 (which I highly doubt), then it would be $51. Is that significantly less? I doubt it, and that's without taking into account that the PS3 has a 20gb HDD and wireless motion sensing controllers as well as free online at 499, games that will also use the blurary format, a built in browser, and what not.

The only people for whom the $199 is a good deal, imho, is the people who already have a 360 (or want one rather than or next to a PS3) and want a cheap HD-DVD player. For all the others, the PS3 is as good a deal as ever, and you also have the option to get a HDMI ready PS3 at 599 with the bigger harddrive and built in wifi.

But maybe I'm missing the point?

If it would work with a PC, that would make it a very cheap HD-DVD player, though then again, I expect internal HD-DVD ROM drives to be pretty cheap on the PC also.

xbox0226_550x413.jpg

xbox231_550x413.jpg

I still think that the Add-on is way too big.

Looks like a standard 3.5" drive stuffed into a fancy case.
I wonder if the DVD drive in the Xbox 360 can be taken out and replaced with this HDDVD drive...
I wonder if this HDDVD drive can be taken out of its USB enclosure and put in a PC...

Looks like a standard 3.5" drive stuffed into a fancy case.
I wonder if the DVD drive in the Xbox 360 can be taken out and replaced with this HDDVD drive...
I wonder if this HDDVD drive can be taken out of its USB enclosure and put in a PC...
I think having a USB port is best. If you want to move your console to another room you probably won't take the HD-DVD player. Hope they make it work with PC.

Back