Microsoft Project xCloud (Game Streaming), now offering Fortnite free without GPU membership

absolutely. The strategy seems to be laying out itself. F2P moves onto Xcloud. Get people to play F2P titles that may not be on mobile, gets very popular for those that can't afford PC/consoles and only have their mobile phones. And now they are just 1 click away from a game pass subscription..

Perhaps not so much for über popular titles for Fortnite or other games where people play those games almost exclusively and nothing else. Allowing those folks to plug into xCloud for no cost and play those games at a quality way beyond what their mobile hardware is capable of, is just a net loss. Harking back to the Epic - Apple trial, a chunk of Fortnite money comes from mobile. If Microsoft offer to just host Fortnite and other F2P games at better quality for, what is basically free, that is only a benefit to the game host and the user but zero for Microsoft.

The benefit is - as you said - is if it results in a conversion to a subscription or other payment model. But when you look at all these F2P games, they have epically massive user bases which mostly has little revenue. They exist on a relatively small number of 'whales'. Microsoft will want to avoid subsiding the low-revenue masses whilst missing the juicy whales.

The people who spend are where the profits are.

This was pretty much what Apple was telling everyone to do to begin with.

Exactly this. The original iPhone launched predicated that HTML (and HTML-driven apps) were the future of mobile app technology. It was - naturally - just bullshit while Apple developed their own mobile ecosystem and SDK. Apple are now in a web-tech race with Google who leveraged the tech that Apple themselves leveraged. The evolution of KDE/webkit technologies.

Apple can't backtrack on fundamental HTML technology, but what is different now is that back in 2007 - with the exception of right-click context - HTML UI was way closer to common desktop and mobile UI interactivity than exists now. In 2007, HTML mobile apps could be difficult to tell apart from native apps but now today there are massive gulfs in the way you interact with your device and the HTML app can accommodate because the lack of those features in HTML itself. The majority of touch and gesture stuff isn't supported in HTML.

Whether that's an issue or not for smarter HTML apps, like I assume Microsfot's xCloud app to be, I don't know. It could very possible be a benefit. That said, HTML does not stand still.

Are you trying to make me feel sorry for Microsoft, an international conglomerate making literally billions in revenue every year excuse one particular business unit is not bleeding consumers dry in every possible way? Because you lost me there.

If Microsoft want to charge more for console hardware and significantly less for software (upto 30% less) they can do that tomorrow. They can create a new business model based on pricier hardware and cheaper software, rather than the existing 1970s model as pioneered by Atari.

I don't see a problem. Only Microsoft is holding Microsoft back. I wish them well with that.

Which then puts them at a serious disadvantage versus their only competition in the console space, Sony. I'm not sure what you're trying to get at?

Microsoft and Sony make little to no profit on their hardware, thus the whole business model is around profits generated from their software stores.

Apple makes a large profit on their hardware and on top of that charges what some feel are excessive fees to sell software on the only storefront on the platform.

On the one hand, it's easy for developers to see that without those fees both the Sony and Microsoft platforms wouldn't exist. On the other hand, that's not the case with the iOS platform.

You could certainly argue that both Sony and Microsoft could and should raise the price of their consoles, but then would the console gaming market even exist if they were to do so?

I'm not sure why it's so difficult for some to see that? It's not about making anyone feel sorry for X company, it's just stating the reality of the situation.

Regards,
SB

Which then puts them at a serious disadvantage versus their only competition in the console space, Sony. I'm not sure what you're trying to get at?

You were comparing Microsoft to Apple (naming Apple's hardware profits from iPhones and iPads), not Sony. What are you getting at?

I'm sure if MS were making a large profit on every console sold as Apple does with their iPhones and iPads, they might be more inclined to reduce their cut.

Are you mixing posts up? I am genuinely confused. :???:

absolutely. The strategy seems to be laying out itself. F2P moves onto Xcloud. Get people to play F2P titles that may not be on mobile, gets very popular for those that can't afford PC/consoles and only have their mobile phones. And now they are just 1 click away from a game pass subscription. Or if MS would allow it, individual title purchases to play on xcloud. And then you've finally bridged the mobile market into AAA gaming.
I would assume the in game purchases would all just be exactly like they would on Xbox, so why wouldn't Microsoft want a game like Fortnite to partner with for streaming. They just effectively converted all the iOS-exclusive Fortnite customers into Xbox customers. And, they've created a functional proof of concept (assuming it all works) that removes the need for any developer making higher end games to make and support a specific mobile version.

In all honestly, I'd totally for forgot that Fortnite wasn't on iOS anymore. Makes sense to go the xCloud route in that context.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/202...le-fortnite-is-officially-back-on-the-iphone/

I did have a brief nosey last night. I'd not use the web based streaming on a phone (on Android). It worked as well as a game via the Gamepass app, including the same touch overlay options. Impressive really.

On the other hand, the Fortnite menu experience is an amazing piece of garbage for such a popular game.

In all honestly, I'd totally for forgot that Fortnite wasn't on iOS anymore. Makes sense to go the xCloud route in that context.
Same. Then I saw a headline somewhere else and a tiny bell rung.

This is a good move by Microsoft and Epic.

I assume it can be streamed using an actusl xbox too?
Do you mean streaming a higher quality XSX version on an XBoxOne or something? I'm not sure why you would otherwise, doesn't make sense.

I assume it can be streamed using an actusl xbox too?
Should work via the browser at the url specified xbox.com/play . I think the Xbox Edge browser works for that.

I have not looked at the Fortnite gamecard when the game is not installed. That's where the functionality is usually at. It would offer two choices, Install Game or Play via Cloud.

Would be a nice option for some, you could either stream or play it on the console hw itself. Eitherway MS is golden with this, Fortnite is hugely popular, and many mobile users couldnt access it anymore due to Apple-epic legal battle. Might get ppl into MS ecosystem too.

Should work via the browser at the url specified xbox.com/play . I think the Xbox Edge browser works for that.

According to Microsoft's support page, xCloud through the browser only works on Edge and Chrome in Windows and Safari on iOS but some sleuthing has bene done and it apparently works on any platforms running a Chromium-based browser.

Having briefly testied it, it also seems to work on Safari on macOS when Safari identifies as iOS which makes you wonder if it's about browser capabilities or if Microsoft are limiting access according to the browser ident string for other reasons. I can't think why they would but I've long since given up trying to determine the motives of big companies. It could simply be to keep the stress test to mobile to measure other things, like network quality and lag.

Plus you can still pay Fortnite on macOS so this may just be an initiative to target iOS where Fortnite isn't accessible.

I tried Series Edge browser, it warned about using a supported browser version, then warned about no controller detected. I told it launch anyways. It errored out saying could not connect to server.

I uninstalled Fortnite locally, restarted the console, brought up Fortnite GameCard but only option presented was "Install All" with No Option for "Cloud Play".

Back