Microsoft Project xCloud (Game Streaming), now offering Fortnite free without GPU membership

I’m not quite sure how streaming will ever catch up with playing locally…surely there always has to be a compromise somewhere?

Depends on the country and whether or not console gaming is a significant presence in the country or not. For example, I believe that in South Korea, there are more people playing Xbox games through Xbox Cloud Gaming than on Xbox consoles. Pretty sure the same is true in Japan. The main reason is that mobile gaming is dominant in those countries and people would prefer to play games on their phones rather than on a console in their living room.

Xbox Cloud Gaming may never truly take off in Western countries where console gaming has a large presence, but it has the potential to take off in countries where most games are played on mobiles devices along with PC to a lesser extent.

In those regions since Xbox Cloud Gaming is also part of Game Pass, it provides huge value to people who have Zero interest in console hardware.

Regards,
SB

I have seen some people saying xCloud is running 2 instances with 1 SoC (with series s profiles). I know about the series s profile, but there's any confirmation about 2 instances with 1 SoC? For the GPU it would be easy, but what about the CPU side? I know they can, perhaps, increase the CPU clock because of the datacenter environment, but I don't know if it is the case.

Anyone knows something concrete about it?

A Series X SoC couldn't run two Series S games, even if overclocked. The Series S only has a slightly underclocked version of the X's CPU. In one of DF's articles they confirmed that the XSX can run 4 XBone instances though.

I wonder how it copes if all four Xbox One instances demand heavy ESRAM (240Gb/sec bandwidth) usage?
192*4 ~ 768.

I guess a simple method is that the server blades support higher frequency memory. That should be enough to take 560 up to 700+.

192*4 ~ 768.

I guess a simple method is that the server blades support higher frequency memory. That should be enough to take 560 up to 700+.
I thought they were using standard Xbox APUs? Isn't the memory controller on-die? If so, that would mean that the Xbox memory controller can use much, much faster memory as well.

I thought they were using standard Xbox APUs? Isn't the memory controller on-die? If so, that would mean that the Xbox memory controller can use much, much faster memory as well.
good point. It's likely as Jay says. It just makes it up elsewhere.

That wouldn't be all that surprising actually if the plan from the start was to use them in server blades. A bit of flexibility WRT home console versus server useage may have been worth the increased transistor count in order to support that flexibility.

I also expect that the server blades will include larger and faster storage options, although that doesn't likely require any difference in the SOC compared to home console useage.

Regards,
SB

That wouldn't be all that surprising actually if the plan from the start was to use them in server blades. A bit of flexibility WRT home console versus server useage may have been worth the increased transistor count in order to support that flexibility.
That does indeed make sense. Which means, with the right equipment, you could replace the memory in the Series S and X. That could be interesting..

live it appears now for all consoles to stream any game on game pass. Those XBO just came back to life, wow.
space savings time, finally. Time to nuke my hard drive.

When you said "all consoles" for a second I was like, "Holy snot, it's coming to PlayStation consoles also?" Then I looked at the video. :)

Regards,
SB

When you said "all consoles" for a second I was like, "Holy snot, it's coming to PlayStation consoles also?" Then I looked at the video. :)

Regards,
SB
ahh =P lol Sony would never allow it.

Sorry all last and current xbox consoles.

Xbox article saying Clarity Boost will be available in Edge browser. I expect it to find its way into the Xbox consoles as well as standalone cloud applications.

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2021/11/29/clarity-boost-with-xbox-cloud-gaming-on-edge-browser/

Today, we are excited to invite you to experience Clarity Boost, one of the latest cloud gaming optimizations available on Microsoft Edge Canary. This feature uses a set of client-side scaling improvements to improve the visual quality of the video stream. Download Microsoft Edge Canary today to try out these features! Clarity Boost will be available to all Microsoft Edge users by next year.

Xbox article saying Clarity Boost will be available in Edge browser. I expect it to find its way into the Xbox consoles as well as standalone cloud applications.

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2021/11/29/clarity-boost-with-xbox-cloud-gaming-on-edge-browser/

Today, we are excited to invite you to experience Clarity Boost, one of the latest cloud gaming optimizations available on Microsoft Edge Canary. This feature uses a set of client-side scaling improvements to improve the visual quality of the video stream. Download Microsoft Edge Canary today to try out these features! Clarity Boost will be available to all Microsoft Edge users by next year.

who could have guessed such a thing was possible and was coming ?

Back