Microsoft Project xCloud (Game Streaming), now offering Fortnite free without GPU membership

Sorry to be nitpick but it's what I do ;-). How will steaming change "gaming as know it"? […]

I'm not keen on eating more promises of "change gaming as we know it", I really want somebody to show something tangible.
Healthier gamers live longer and stay subscribed longer!

Materializing said steaming services will be the real game changer. Drones, maybe? Because household steamers seem antithetical to the whole cloud steaming philosophy. Sure, there’s always the problem of steamed-to-mouth latency. The games will likely be cold. (That’s a feature in the summertime.) Stadia performs better in latency tests because Google knows what you want before you order it.

Samsung announced 2019 that they'd be closely working together with Microsoft for Windows and gaming integration. I think were starting to see results now. Its a very good cooperation imo, Samsung is the largest player in TV's and mobile phones market.

Here's the problem with that, however. Over a 24 hour period, it may average out to that. However, it won't be uncommon that during prime time 5 out of 10 or more of the subscribers are likely to want to game depending on whether there was a highly anticipated game release. On release day or a few days after that it might jump up to 8, 9, or 10 out of 10 people hitting the servers at prime time.

We see this happen with Steam with highly anticipated releases where the servers will struggle to service all the download request. Steam attempts to mitigate this by having pre-loads for big releases. And obviously once the game is download you are no longer subject to whether or not Steam has enough servers as long as the system hasn't crashed. You can't do that with an on demand gaming service. You either service the request to play a game or you refuse service to that customer.

So, you either risk losing gamers if you refuse service to 60-80% (using your 20% number) of the subscriber base in that situation, greatly degrade their gaming experience by having servers over 1000 miles away servicing some of the requests (again risking losing subscribers), or you have the ability to service say 80% or more of the subscriber base during prime time (which means you need to figure out what to do with that hardware on off-prime time hours).

I'm going to assume that MS aren't incompetent and that their accountants are not OK with them burning cash on server hardware going unused, so MS obviously have an idea of what they might want to do with the XBS-X blades when they aren't servicing gaming requests. The question is, what services would be conducive to potentially being evicted from those blades on a moments notice if greater than expected demand (depending on the time of day) for those blades happens?

Regards,
SB

Don't worry. Microsoft mines crypto with its spare xbox cloud capacity.

Anybody know which Samsung TV models support Game Pass?

Tommy McClain

Evidently only 2022 Samsung models are supported. 😕

I want to put a TV & Xbox in my son's room but wanted to spend as little money as possible. Unfortunately the 2022 Samsung TV's are not exactly budget friendly. So I've about decided to buy a cheap Google/Android TV & just sideload the Android Game Pass app. Looks like there has been good success going this route.

Tommy McClain

I believe the stream can now go as high as 1440p as soon as the next xcloud patch is released.

I believe the stream can now go as high as 1440p as soon as the next xcloud patch is released.
I remember hearing that it's a goal, not any indication when api will support it, but can be wrong.

In their own video they say 720p is for phone, 1080p for ipads, pc's. So to me that's indication that they know its not really good enough for TV yet
Even 1080p doesn't tell the whole story, its about bitrate etc also.

Edit found video
Video has some interesting details in it. Only 10 days old, so pretty up to date with current state of api and so forth. Not had chance to scrub through it to see if right about goals

Last edited:
They focused too much on xcloud. Xbox remote play is in languish.

Its better audio and visual to play via xcloud than via remote play. The butrate is waaaay too low on remote play

I would expect the TV xCloud Apps to have Clarity Boost feature too.

In their own video they say 720p is for phone, 1080p for ipads, pc's. So to me that's indication that they know its not really good enough for TV yet
Even 1080p doesn't tell the whole story, its about bitrate etc also.
Except now they have Game Pass support on the new Samsung TVs. Sounds like it's good enough for TVs now. 🤷

Tommy McClain

Reactions: Jay
Back