Microsoft HoloLens [Virtual Reality, Augmented Reality, Holograms]

Maybe they have really small hands and you have really gigantic hands.

UCLA demos GeForce-powered Augmented Reality sandbox

Thanks to a research team at UCLA it is now possible to do these 'godly' activities in an 'Augmented Reality Sandbox'. You won't need particularly heavenly hardware budget for your terraforming hand waving; the key components used in the video demo you see below are an Nvidia GeForce GTX 750 Ti graphics card, an Xbox Kinect sensor and a projector.

http://hexus.net/tech/news/graphics/85388-ucla-demos-geforce-powered-augmented-reality-sandbox/

$3000 for the Developer kit and license.

The same way console dev kits are $15K to $100K.

**ModEdit: Clarified what was edited in to prevent price being mistaken for consumer pricing

Last edited by a moderator:
Will you get a 2nd job to pay for this?

The price being posted is not for consumers. People seem to be using it to twist their own agenda.

The $3k is for developer kits and license.

Thats the same way console dev kits are $15k to $100k.

He clearly called it Mixed Reality in this video. (now can people stop acting like I'm crazy when I post on this forum?)

I have.

But what about the MR stuff that a camera would add to the VR headset?

Imagine a mixed reality Resident Evil like game where the PS4 wouldn't have to render the full environment only rendering the monsters coming into your real room through a door or window that's superimposed onto you real room, or making it appear that they are breaking through your walls as you try to keep them out by killing them and patching up the holes?

They are Mixed Reality games they feature AR because AR is a part of Mixed Reality. The other part of Mixed Reality is AV (Augmented Virtuality ) which is the part where you're interacting with the virtual world. When you have both it's Mixed Reality.

The virtual world being overlaid on the real world is AR but when I can manipulate the virtual world that's being overlaid on the real world it's Mixed Reality.
Microsoft is doing Mixed Reality with their headset I like that a little more than just VR. Still hoping for a camera to the outside world in the final Project Morpheus retail product.

Last edited:
$3000 for the Developer kit and license.

The same way console dev kits are $15K to $100K.
I don't know where you're getting your info
ps4 initial dev kit price = $2500 (though avail free to some)
xbox one initial dev kit price = $500
no I'm not missing a zero off the end of these numbers

The reason for the price? I'm sure MS don't want to lose too much cash on this venture, they certainly don't want to be releasing them under cost at this stage, I'm sure its right choice

I don't know where you're getting your info

I'm not getting that info anywhere because I didn't post that.
I'm pretty sure that all I wrote in that post was "$3000" and nothing else.
Then I guess a mod edited my post with the rest.

I must confess I'm not very fond of this ninja editing. Since it's a copy/paste of BRiT's post, I just hope it was a fluke.

PS3 Dev Kits used to be over $20K. [ http://www.informationweek.com/sony-halves-price-of-playstation-3-development-kit/d/d-id/1061692 ]

Sony Halves Price Of PlayStation 3 Development Kit

In the latest move, Sony Computer Entertainment, the unit responsible for the PlayStation, reduced the price of the SDK, which SCE calls the Reference Tool, to $10,250 in North America, $8,600 in Japan, and $11,250 in Europe.

PS3 dev kits varied by feature: [ http://ps4daily.com/2013/07/playstation-4-dev-kits-cost-2500/ ]

Sony had several different PS3 dev kits, which ranged in prices from $1,500 to over $10,000, depending on features. The PlayStation 4 is a much simpler machine with PC components, meaning that not only is the console cheaper, but so are the dev kits.

I'm trying to track down the wider price range for the xbox 360 dev kits.

You're correct that current-gen console dev kits are significantly cheaper, but the previous console dev kits were much more expensive.

Also, sorry for not making the edits clear enough, they should have been in a different color.

Last edited:
So, looks like Volvo will be working to bring Hololens into their showrooms. I wonder how many other companies will eventually start to announce real world projects involving it?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9804/...-hololens-to-automotive-design-and-showcasing

This makes at least NASA and Volvo that will be using it in practical applications.

Regards,
SB

I think more and more companies will come around as the tech matures. I really hope they are focusing on expanding the FOV as that seems to be the biggest criticism right now. That and getting it even smaller and less geeky looking would go far at pushing adoption of the tech.

Microsoft is showcasing some Hololens stuff on twitter. Some of the pet projects are pretty cute.
https://twitter.com/hashtag/MadeWithHoloLens?src=hash

From what i understand what we are seeing here (in these videos) the hololens is recording and displaying the AR at the same time. I'm unsure if this is representative of what the viewer sees still. But it's definitely real.

Back