Microsoft HoloLens [Virtual Reality, Augmented Reality, Holograms]

Twitter sucks for embedding. They (twitter) dont support it all. The only way is using a screenshot of the tweet.

I use forums that support embedded tweets. I assume they're supporting the official method detailed here. Screenshots still seem quite popular though and persist even when tweets are removed.

Yeah, I suspect that's the prime reason, as I looked at embedding tweets and twitter feeds only a few weeks ago, and that seemed fine.

I have the sensation that microsoft has the budget to make them cry and sell all theri patens after 2 years

I have the sensation that microsoft has the budget to make them cry and sell all theri patens after 2 years

To be honest, another platform that's similar is good for Hololens. It means more people will look into making AR apps, and you get cross-platform developers.

It's not about money. When Microsoft entered the MP3 market they had the money to crush Apple and iPod and despite the fact that Zune's had a ton more features, it made no difference. At the end of the day, experience and software will likely be the biggest contributor to success. And Microsoft's history in this (Kinect, Kinect 2) is not good. They need to launch with a diverse set of software for this hardware and not trust developers to find interesting things to do.

It's not about money. When Microsoft entered the MP3 market they had the money to crush Apple and iPod and despite the fact that Zune's had a ton more features, it made no difference. At the end of the day, experience and software will likely be the biggest contributor to success. And Microsoft's history in this (Kinect, Kinect 2) is not good. They need to launch with a diverse set of software for this hardware and not trust developers to find interesting things to do.
Your mixing up your history.

MS wasn't allowed to enter the MP3 market with their own player and software due to the antitrust law so they entered through plays for sure. The zune didn't release until 2006 , 5 years after the ipod because of the antitrust law suits.. That is a major reason why Apple was able to take over that market. They had a 5 year head start. By the time the zune launched apple already had people locked in with their DRM practices. ITunes and the music lock in helped them grab mobile phone market also. The iPhone was a failure until the $200 price drop and app store launched which was directly tied to iTunes.

Comparing the Kinect 1/2 to this also doesn't make a lot of sense. Both units required another system in the xbox. So you would need a Kinect with xbox 360 or Kinect 2 with xbox one and both were only really pushed in the gaming market and even then the original kinect sold extremely well with 25m + units sold that means it sold as well as the first xbox system. I would hardly call this a failure.

Hololens will have a use outside of gaming and since the most accurate rumors from those who used it says it consists of a cherrytrail apu and MS said it also contains a HPU. Couple that with the fact that it runs windows 10 and there shouldn't be a shortage support for the device. They are also showing off in demos one of the best selling games in years Minecraft which has sold over 60m copies

I think the key for the hardware is to make it operate outside of the xbox eco system and be its own thing that can also connect and enhance the xbox experience.

Your mixing up your history.

MS wasn't allowed to enter the MP3 market with their own player and software due to the antitrust law so they entered through plays for sure. The zune didn't release until 2006 , 5 years after the ipod because of the antitrust law suits..

Can you point to some coverage of this? I don't remember this, googling produces nothing and there is no mention of anti-trust issues in several "history of Zune" articles, nor in the Wikipedia page.

Comparing the Kinect 1/2 to this also doesn't make a lot of sense.
It makes perfect sense because in the case of both Kinect devices Microsoft created interesting hardware but failed to use it in intersting ways becuase they didn't support it in software. HoloLens is interesting hardware for sure. We had a Microsoft Surface (the table) which was also let down by rudimentary software.

Hololens will have a use outside of gaming and since the most accurate rumors from those who used it says it consists of a cherrytrail apu and MS said it also contains a HPU. Couple that with the fact that it runs windows 10 and there shouldn't be a shortage support for the device.
Kinect has use outside of gaming. So did the Surface. Microsoft barely supported either. I can't see HoloLens getting a lot of support becuase it requires a compeltely different interface paradigm. It's not like people will be easily converting software that makes use of controllers or a mouse and keyboard. There are a thousand details that need to be addressed.

Can you point to some coverage of this? I don't remember this, googling produces nothing and there is no mention of anti-trust issues in several "history of Zune" articles, nor in the Wikipedia page.

Its hard to find any information http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_PlaysForSure play for sure was introduced in 2004

It makes perfect sense because in the case of both Kinect devices Microsoft created interesting hardware but failed to use it in intersting ways becuase they didn't support it in software. HoloLens is interesting hardware for sure. We had a Microsoft Surface (the table) which was also let down by rudimentary software.

THe original Kinect was used in a lot of different area's from games to surgery . The Kinect 2 was short lived because of the backlash that came with the original reveal of the hardware and the lack of games for it.

Kinect has use outside of gaming. So did the Surface. Microsoft barely supported either. I can't see HoloLens getting a lot of support becuase it requires a compeltely different interface paradigm. It's not like people will be easily converting software that makes use of controllers or a mouse and keyboard. There are a thousand details that need to be addressed.
Kinect had limited use and like I said was tied to hardware. You could have bought a pc Kinect but you'd still need a pc. The Halolens is self contained you don't need anything but it.

The original surface still exists and hardware and software has been improved and now we have surface tvs and portable surfaces.

It seems like they are already have the fundamental software up and ready.

hololens.png

Since it runs windows skype , Netflix , IE and other programs will work just fine in it with your eyes and hand replacing the mouse.

Games would be a bit harder , but windows 10 already supports controllers so a Bluetooth controller will let you play any of the games with the hololens acting as a giant screen .

hololens.png

Then of course you can have something that you interact with more
hololens-minecraft.jpg

But of course the beauty is a lot of the lifting has been done by Kinect. So a lot of the tools and librarys from the Kinect should map directly to this.

microsoft_hololens.jpg

It appears to have 2 sets of Kinect camera's one on each side. Which can easily map your hands and fingers to the virtual world your touching and provided movements and actions to the software

MS licensed to MP3 manufacturers because it was out of the same playbook as Windows licensing which had been lucrative for them. They focused on the platform and codecs, not device design and manufacturing.

Nothing prevented them from making their own products at any time.

When they did get in, Apple introduced the Nanos with flash storage, making for smaller devices, while MS was caught with an HDD Zune. Then the second year, MS tried to play catch up but Apple bought up a lot of the flash storage capacity available for that year.

The other mistake is that MS didn't go all-in with their devices, making sure there were tens of millions available to challenge Apple's share. To do so would have meant investing a lot more in the supply chain but the risk was if the product didn't sell, they'd be stuck with a lot od unsold inventory, requiring write downs and losses, the problem that always hurt hardware companies which didn't manage the supply and demand mix correctly.

MS also didn't try to compete against Apple's iPad market share when it released the Surface. They still had to write off the original Surface that year but it could have been worse if they made tens of millions of units that year.

Its hard to find any information http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_PlaysForSure play for sure was introduced in 2004

With respect, you can't accuse me of rewriting history with a bold claim about Microsoft being unable to enter a market which isn't supported by any evidence.

The original surface still exists and hardware and software has been improved and now we have surface tvs and portable surfaces.

The original Surface, much like Kinect, was abandonware. It was a half baked effort. Hardware with potential but lacking software to realise that potential.

Since it runs windows skype , Netflix , IE and other programs will work just fine in it with your eyes and hand replacing the mouse.

When I look at the presentation and note how they chose to pick examples that predominantly are about looking at something, rather than having something with complicated interaction, I worry that things won't just work because it runs Windows. The original tablets ran Windows and the experience was crap. The interface paradigm is entirely different again and Microsoft have not shown anything that makes me believe they have solved the thousands of issues resulting from this interface paradigm shift.

Is there any evidence that hololens is operating in environments it's never seen before? I was assuming that the environments are pre-scanned such that it only needs to calculate its location and then map the augmented geometry appropriately to the geometry it already knows. Doing live, per-frame environment scanning and AR rendering, especially outdoors where your reference points for positional tracking are at arbitrary distances is a very different animal. I somehow doubt that getting sub-mm absolute positioning from distant outdoor reference points is going to be that easy.

I don't really see the need for that kind of precision, the angular movement of the head between frames will limit how accurate you can match stuff any way. Unless you do 1000 fps or something. A little bit of jerkiness and mismatch are going to be par for the course.

And then inside a car you'd have multiple conflicting sources of information (IMU/acceleration forces, motion relative to the interior of the car, relative to exterior buildings, relative to other cars passing by, etc.) I think usable on-the-go AR with the Hololens-promo's features is a *long* ways off yet.

The car thing makes no sense at all, much easier to just put a HUD on the windscreen ... which has been possible for years but never really took off.

MS licensed to MP3 manufacturers because it was out of the same playbook as Windows licensing which had been lucrative for them. They focused on the platform and codecs, not device design and manufacturing.

Nothing prevented them from making their own products at any time.

MS faced ongoing sanctions from the us and uk courts. It changed how they operated completely and prevented them from bundling their products together. That is why we saw them fail to intergrate a virus program into their os as early as apple did and its why they didn't enter the mp3 market with their own device. Its not a coincidence that as the sanctions from the anti trust cases finished ms released their own tablets and bought nokia to launc their own phone lines.

When they did get in, Apple introduced the Nanos with flash storage, making for smaller devices, while MS was caught with an HDD Zune. Then the second year, MS tried to play catch up but Apple bought up a lot of the flash storage capacity available for that year.
The ipod classic was in competition with the zune . The zune had the better screen plus dac. The ipod nano came out the year before but was limited to 1,2,4 gigs of storage and was a replacement for the ipod mini . it was also plagued with problems and required a recall

The other mistake is that MS didn't go all-in with their devices, making sure there were tens of millions available to challenge Apple's share. To do so would have meant investing a lot more in the supply chain but the risk was if the product didn't sell, they'd be stuck with a lot od unsold inventory, requiring write downs and losses, the problem that always hurt hardware companies which didn't manage the supply and demand mix correctly.
the problem was that people who were in on the apple eco system already spent tons of money on their music through iTunes. So why would they change ? Apple even saw to it you couldn't use third party stores to put music on the ipod to take advantage of this.

MS also didn't try to compete against Apple's iPad market share when it released the Surface. They still had to write off the original Surface that year but it could have been worse if they made tens of millions of units that year.
MS was in the tablet game for years before Apple but once the sanctions from the anti trust cases started to end they released their own hardware done right. The surface rt was a failure because they tried to use arm. However the pro line was a success from the start and with the surface pro 3 its been a money make for them and the business has grown each year.

guess lack of information has made us batty
Dude, there is no information because none of this actually happened. You probably ate some cheese and had a weird dream. All of the EU and FTC rulings are public.

Back