Microsoft: HD-DVD might be "next Betamax," switch to Blu-ray still possible

• Thread starter Deleted member 7537
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 7537

Microsoft: HD-DVD might be "next Betamax," switch to Blu-ray still possible
Posted Jan 5th 2007 3:55PM by James Ransom-Wiley
Filed under: Sony PlayStation 3, Microsoft Xbox 360, Business

Speaking with Ars Technica, Microsoft Director of Platform Strategy Scott Henson explained that the Xbox 360 HD-DVD drive would likely never be internalized into a future version of the console because "[we] don't want to charge customers $200 extra for something that may be the next Betamax." While Henson's frank remark is definitely a PR no-no (though it could easily be interpreted as a shot at Sony), it simply echoes the current state of uncertainty: No one knows which format, HD-DVD or Blu-ray, will prevail. Microsoft has clearly aligned itself and the Xbox 360 with HD-DVD, but it's left open the possibility of a Blu-ray switcheroo -- Peter Moore openly acknowledged as much during CES last year.

Early HD-DVD add-on adopters might eventually get burned (if the format fails), but this certainly won't affect all, if even a majority, of Xbox 360 owners. On the flip side, if Blu-ray flops, 100% of PlayStation 3 owners will feel the burn. Sony is still the bigger risk taker.

Source

Last edited by a moderator:
Why isn't this thread title "100% of Playstation 3 owners at risk"? :LOL: I mean, really. Of course MS can switch --that's what having an external can do for you. So far as that goes, Sony could switch too. . . to a combo drive.

Why isn't this thread title "100% of Playstation 3 owners at risk"? :LOL: I mean, really. Of course MS can switch --that's what having an external can do for you. So far as that goes, Sony could switch too. . . to a combo drive.

I thought this thread title captured the spirit of Microsoft's original comments rather well, actually. Both are equally valid interpretations of the same thing.

I thought this thread title captured the spirit of Microsoft's original comments rather well, actually. Both are equally valid interpretations of the same thing.

Both are equally valid extreme interpretations of the same thing, was my point. Ah well, just me griping. :LOL:

Both are equally valid extreme interpretations of the same thing, was my point. Ah well, just me griping. :LOL:

Well, but that was my point - Microsoft's extreme interpretation was nicely balanced by its counterpoint in the topic title. I just tried to answer your question. ;)

The only idea that i get from this notice, is that microsoft doens't support HD-DVD as it should. Is just in toshiba's side beacouse sony and his playstation are in the other one. Right now, HD-DVD is surviving just because universal and microsoft are supporting the format.

Microsoft's extreme interpretation

How is it an extreme interpretation?

Does BR have a realistic chance of becoming the next BetaMax? Yes.

Is Sony forcing every user to pay $200 for BR? Yes.

Therefore, Sony is charging every user $200 for what could become the next betamax. It's not an extreme statement at all.

Right now, HD-DVD is surviving just because universal and microsoft are supporting the format.

And on the flip side, the only reason BR is still breathing is because of PS3. Without PS3 there would be 250,000 HD-DVD players and only 25,000 BR players.

For sake of argument, ignore the 360's add-on, and look just at standalone players, HD-DVD would still be outnumbering BR by 6:1.

So consumers have certainly sided with HD-DVD for now, which is sortof important! After all, it's the consumer who decides in the end right?

And on the flip side, the only reason BR is still breathing is because of PS3. Without PS3 there would be 250,000 HD-DVD players and only 25,000 BR players.

For sake of argument, ignore the 360's add-on, and look just at standalone players, HD-DVD would still be outnumbering BR by 6:1.

So consumers have certainly sided with HD-DVD for now, which is sortof important! After all, it's the consumer who decides in the end right?

and every ps3 is a surplus to blu-ray. how many of them do watch more than free blu-ray movie they got for free on ps3 launch??? just wondering... because that free blu-ray movie shouldnt count as a purchase.

thats ridiculous. If the ps3 could only play HD movies and use DVD's as game format , then yes, sony would FORCE you to pay EXTRA for only bluray playback

The ps3 uses BLURAY as gamemedium and can ontop of that ALSO play the BLURAY movies..

thats ridiculous. If the ps3 could only play HD movies and use DVD's as game format , then yes, sony would FORCE you to pay EXTRA for only bluray playback

The ps3 uses BLURAY as gamemedium and can ontop of that ALSO play the BLURAY movies..

BR offers a marginal advantage for games at best. Certainly not worth $200.

Take 1/4 of that money and add another 256mb of RAM if they are really concerned about improving gaming.

BR offers a marginal advantage for games at best. Certainly not worth $200.

First of all, if you think that the difference makes $200, then the 360 is $100 euro too expensive. Second, we'll see. This discussion about whether or not BluRay is needed is now so old, it's growing a beard and turning grey. The onus of proof that it's not necessary lies firmly with the 360, as so far throughout history the platforms have found ample use for the additional space available. Sure, it is possible this generation is going to be different, but it would be a first.

Take 1/4 of that money and add another 256mb of RAM if they are really concerned about improving gaming.

Maybe, but then what use is all that extra room for textures if you don't have the space to store them? ;) (and don't start with the procedural stuff again - I'm willing to bet that procedural stuff is going to be used more for creating content statically than dynamically, a luxury that the PS3 can also afford itself).

I'm still also looking forward to hearing performance data from dual layer DVDs, by the way, compared to single layer DVDs and DL BluRay.

Maybe, but then what use is all that extra room for textures if you don't have the space to store them? ;)

Use multiple discs like 90% of game genres allow?

I agree the argument is getting old, with games like GOW and Blue Dragon, thinking that BD is going to have a signifigant impact on the length or quality of games seems a little ridiculous to me.

Back