Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024 [XBSX|S, PC]

Available today! Explore newly enhanced French cities in Microsoft Flight Simulator City Update II: France. Tour above some of the most beautiful metropolitan areas in the world in this free update featuring five stunning cities: Amiens, Angers, Nantes, Nîmes, and Reims. In celebration of the Paris Air Show, the team has also included the Paris–Le Bourget Airport in both standard and festival configurations.

btw will they make FS2024 update mechanism on PC on par with xbox? currently with FS2020, on Xbox, the update is handled thru the windows store, while on PC the update is handled together by the game client itself and windows store.

btw will they make FS2024 update mechanism on PC on par with xbox? currently with FS2020, on Xbox, the update is handled thru the windows store, while on PC the update is handled together by the game client itself and windows store.

You're confused. The updates for FS on consoles is a combination of normal game updates by the dashboard and by the game client itself.

You're confused. The updates for FS on consoles is a combination of normal game updates by the dashboard and by the game client itself.
i just installed FS2020 a few days ago on XSS and it starts without being stuck in the game update screen. While on PC, it stuck on the game update screen.

Is there an automatic upgrade from MSFS to MSFS24?
It's a different game, although MS has been pretty good with just upgrading.

They could easily support MSFS with DLC and general legacy support. But MSFS24 with the campaign type DLC's and wider support.

It's a pretty grey thing with GASS and a new versioned title.
I suspect they'll just migrate everyone to MSFS24 for free. Even if they could charge $10-20 upgrade fee.

I suspect they'll just migrate everyone to MSFS24 for free. Even if they could charge $10-20 upgrade fee.
I really doubt it. One of the reasonings behind doing a new entry was likely the added revenue of a new release.

MSFS used to get new releases every two years. I know many understandably expected MSFS '20 to be a long-term live service game, but a new one after four years isn't that bad. For people who enjoy these sorts of games, it's really well worth it, especially when they're saying that all add-on content from '20 will carry over, so you're not starting from scratch.

But yes, that does mean they probably could have kept this as some giant update and migrated everybody over. Still, I'm a fan of new entries over GaaS in general, so I have no problem with this at all.

EDIT: It should be clarified that Asobo are really only a 2nd party developer. They aren't owned by MS and so still need to worry about financial security a bit more than a 1st party dev would.

MSFS used to get new releases every two years. I know many understandably expected MSFS '20 to be a long-term live service game, but a new one after four years isn't that bad.
I'm possibly misremembering, but I thought it was mentioned that it was a 10 year game?
That's why it will be interesting to see exactly what will happen.
FS has been so well supported, people may not see it as a second distinct game.
I remember overwatch 2 had similar issues where people thought should just be upgrade to 1.

If it is sold as a new game, hope they have a cheap upgrade plan also.

Is there an automatic upgrade from MSFS to MSFS24?
It's a different game, although MS has been pretty good with just upgrading.

They could easily support MSFS with DLC and general legacy support. But MSFS24 with the campaign type DLC's and wider support.

It's a pretty grey thing with GASS and a new versioned title.

If it's anything like most successful modern GAAS titles, it'll have all of the tech and engine and base game improvements but the DLC with the new content will be paid.

So, for sure the DUNE content will be paid. Then the question becomes whether or not the new job based gameplay ends up being considered part of the base game or whether it's DLC on top of FS2024. If it's considered part of the base game, there's a chance it'll be included for free for existing owners. If it's DLC it won't.

Regards,
SB

If it's anything like most successful modern GAAS titles, it'll have all of the tech and engine and base game improvements but the DLC with the new content will be paid.

So, for sure the DUNE content will be paid. Then the question becomes whether or not the new job based gameplay ends up being considered part of the base game or whether it's DLC on top of FS2024. If it's considered part of the base game, there's a chance it'll be included for free for existing owners. If it's DLC it won't.

Regards,
SB

Yea Dune will cost money since its an IP they don't own. There are other IP's like that on the way FYI. I hope the job based stuff is just part of FS24

Regards,
SB
I dont think there's any chance they include all the unique gameplay of FS2024 for free to people on MS2020. It would defeat much of the purpose of releasing a new entry instead of just continuing with MS2020.

I dont think there's any chance they include all the unique gameplay of FS2024 for free to people on MS2020. It would defeat much of the purpose of releasing a new entry instead of just continuing with MS2020.

But that's not the main focus for MS right now. Expanding Game Pass is a major focus and having it be included makes a lot of sense to keep people subscribed and gain new subscribers. It's still increasing revenue and potentially profits, but with the added benefit of either expanding or maintaining subscriber count.

Regards,
SB

But that's not the main focus for MS right now. Expanding Game Pass is a major focus and having it be included makes a lot of sense to keep people subscribed and gain new subscribers. It's still increasing revenue and potentially profits, but with the added benefit of either expanding or maintaining subscriber count.

Regards,
SB
I'm not sure I understand. If you have Gamepass, you'll get this game and all its content(minus future DLC) anyways. It doesn't change anything in this regard.

This game is an amazing technological achievement.
This is Microsoft actually delivering on their 2013 "power of the cloud messaging". They were a bit ahead of themselves in 2013, but Flight Simulator really does mesh a bunch of technologies together really well. I have never seen anybody not be impressed by it. It kind of reminds me of when I first used Google Earth.

ps: the earlier edition
Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Steam Edition
is £3.99 (-80%) until 13 july

Back