MGS4 the first next gen game ?!!

Will MGS4 be the first Real next gen game ?

• 1/ YES

Votes: 25 22.3%
  • 2/ NO

Votes: 68 60.7%
  • 3/ I dont know

Votes: 19 17.0%

• Total voters
I voted no, but I feel I must explain myself.

On the PC, the most recent "next-gen" game I can think of is Far Cry. It wasn't perfect as a game, but I think many will agree that it was the first to give a glimpse of what next-gen was all about. It was a defining moment when the door was opened, as were our eyes. In the same vein, I thinkthere will be other games before MGS4 that will show what next-gen can offer. I do, however, think there is a very good possibility that MGS4 will be a full-on "wow!!!" moment where we may realize games just left the old arena and entered a new one.

Sadly, on the PC side, I don't think there has been any real progress since Far Cry. The balls-to-the-wall visual experience has not yet been released. However, I do think that the full next-gen experience on consoles, and the PC, will be about a lot more than just graphics. It will be non-graphical aspects that will set MGS4 apart.

So, I guess I am saying that since the true next-gen experience was stalled sometime ago, we will simply get a re-run with better graphics and call that next-gen first....then MGS4 will be released and it will be graphics++. (not as in more graphics, but as in graphics and much more beyond that)

Can this guy get banned please? he's been spamming the forums with stupid topics for the past few days. people wouldn't need to reply if something was done about this guy. The rating system is cool and all, but it doesnt say, "hey i think he should be banned".

Last edited by a moderator:
Eleazar said:
I go for actually playing the game, what I played of MGS3 was underwhelming. I was much more impressed with MGS1 and MGS2. I feel the reviews for that game are rather inflated. Many reviewers went as far as to give it 100%, which MGS3 was by no means a flawless game, nor worthy of a 100%. It is really just my opinion. I think everyone knows MGS3 was rated well, but was it actually the game everyone was expecting and hoping for. For me it wasn't and I don't see how it got the extremely high reviews it got. Although I would say 90% is acceptable if you are a hardcore fan of the series.
Thats because by the time MGS3 was released PS2 was obsolete

Eleazar said:
I go for actually playing the game, what I played of MGS3 was underwhelming. I was much more impressed with MGS1 and MGS2. I feel the reviews for that game are rather inflated. Many reviewers went as far as to give it 100%, which MGS3 was by no means a flawless game, nor worthy of a 100%. It is really just my opinion. I think everyone knows MGS3 was rated well, but was it actually the game everyone was expecting and hoping for. For me it wasn't and I don't see how it got the extremely high reviews it got. Although I would say 90% is acceptable if you are a hardcore fan of the series.

I actually thought it was the best in the series. The story and gameplay were great, the only gripe i had with the game was the camera, and it looks like Kojima is addressing that issue with MGS3:S and MGS4.

Anyway, anyone read this from IGN.

MGS4 Gets XXXX System
New system makes game more next generationy.

Kojima also makes reference to Metal Gear Solid 4 in his latest entry. He states that's a new system, which he refers to under the code name of "XXXX," has been implemented in the game's development environment. Apparently, upon seeing this new system, the Kojima Production staffers exclaimed "Aah, now this is next generation!". This new system, if implemented correctly, will give the game a different flavor from Metal Gear Solid, and will "likely be an industry first," Kojima adds.

kojima-produces-for-psp-20051121042.jpg

Above is, we think, an image of the MGS4 development environment. With this image and someone good with Japanese/Chinese characters (it's presumed that each of the X's in the game system's name stands for a kanji character or a Japanese alphabetic character) you may be able to figure out the name of this new system and earn world fame.
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/668/668449p1.html

So anyone got any thoughts into what this 'XXXX' system could be? I was thinking Endorphin but what do i know :LOL:

Stillmatic said:
I actually thought it was the best in the series. The story and gameplay were great, the only gripe i had with the game was the camera, and it looks like Kojima is addressing that issue with MGS3:S and MGS4.

Anyway, anyone read this from IGN.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/668/668449p1.html

So anyone got any thoughts into what this 'XXXX' system could be? I was thinking Endorphin but what do i know :LOL:
Read this at IGN.But I dont know whats in that picture anyone can understand.The only think visible is the back of Solid Snake :p

So the first next gen game in some people's minds(diehard sony fans) won't come out until the end of 2007(when MGS4 will probably be released)??

Wow i really feel sorry for people who are thinking like that but ....have fun waiting i guess.

fulcizombie said:
So the first next gen game in some people's minds(diehard sony fans) won't come out until the end of 2007(when MGS4 will probably be released)??

Wow i really feel sorry for people who are thinking like that but ....have fun waiting i guess.

Who said ppl have to wait for MSG4 for next-gen games? Let me ask you, if a game comes out on the X360/PS3/Rev does it automatically mean it deserves to be rate better than existing games even if its graphically poor?

When I think of next-gen games, it will at least include such factors as things that definitely can NOT be done on existing consoles and/or todays PCs.

Jov said:
When I think of next-gen games, it will at least include such factors as things that definitely can NOT be done on existing consoles and/or todays PCs.

Seen how the GPUs are heavily based on their PC sisters, and seen how the sisters will keep getting better every 6 months, why are you expecting that?

If there is anything these consoles can do that a PC can't, it would have to come from their CPUs, and by the time those are fully exploited, PCs will have more powerful CPUs at their disposal.

Gamers don't buy console games because they have "features that can't be done on PCs". They buy console games because console gaming is easier to set up, run exactly the same from console to console, usually seen as more fun, or because they don't have a PC that's pwerful enough to run the latest games at full detail.

It's a commodity and taste thing, not a power trip.

Cell might give us some very impressive physics simulations, and Xenon will too probably, but give PCs not even that long and they'll do the same. And display at a higher resolution.

london-boy said:
Seen how the GPUs are heavily based on their PC sisters, and seen how the sisters will keep getting better every 6 months, why are you expecting that?

If there is anything these consoles can do that a PC can't, it would have to come from their CPUs, and by the time those are fully exploited, PCs will have more powerful CPUs at their disposal.

Gamers don't buy console games because they have "features that can't be done on PCs". They buy console games because console gaming is easier to set up, run exactly the same from console to console, usually seen as more fun, or because they don't have a PC that's pwerful enough to run the latest games at full detail.

Cell might give us some very impressive physics simulations, and Xenon will too probably, but give PCs not even that long and they'll do the same. And display at a higher resolution.

The main reason why people prefer Console games, is that

CONSOLE GAMES ARE FAR BETTER AND MORE INTERESTING, ENTERTAINING, INNOVATIVE THAN PC GAMES. PERIOD

The best developers and creators of video games work exclusively on consoles ( yu susuki, myamoto, hideo kojima...)

mario bros 1, 2, and 3 on NES
zelda on Nes
MG1 and MG2 on MSX
Super Mario on SNES
Metroid Prime on SNES
Sonic on Mega Drive
MARIO64 on N64
MGS1 on PS1
ZELDA OOT on N64
SHENMUE on DREAMCAST MGS2, and MGS3 on PS2
Gran turismo on ps1
GT3 and GT4 on ps2
golden eye on N64
perfect dark on N64
Halo and Halo2 on XBOX
final fantasy 7, 8 and vagrant story on PS1

........................etc etc etc

Platform games created by myamoto
RPG genre was created by ( i think his name is akira ) enix dragon quest
action Rpg was created by myamoto on NES ( zelda )
stealth by hideo kojima
simulation by yu susuki

...etc etc etc

london-boy said:

Blah blah.. no one said the next-gen consoles will be out doing the PC for its lifetime. Nor am I having an argument regarding PC vs Console gaming.

Let me repeat:
When I think of next-gen games, it will at least include such factors as things that definitely can NOT be done on existing consoles and/or *todays* PCs.

If tomorrows PCs can produce the goods like next-gen consoles, then bring it on and that can also be considered next-gen gaming as well.. no issue.

london-boy said:
Actually, though this is going off topic, that isn't necessarily true. A PC CPU has to run a clunky OS and a wide variety of applications. It needs legacy support and a very developer-friendly design that'll run all the apps coming from a widely varying pool of programming talent. A console CPU is only going to run optimized code that's passed by the hardware companies and so the can forgo the niceties and legacy support and go for outright targetted parformance. As long as a PC CPU has to run old and flakey code (the sort I write!) hardware is going to be constricted from super-turbo performance.

As a comparison, how long did it take for PCs to catch up with NES 2D capabilities? And how's about SNES 2D abilities? AFAIK generally the consoles were better at games because the hardware was targetted at games. There's no reason for this to change. The only real difference with modern PC's versus consoles is PC's by their nature spearheaded 3D graphics, and a large industry of 3D accelerators has cropped up. But consoles can still aim to be custom gaming-monsters in the CPU department whereas PC CPU's will always have the ball-and-chain of legacy support holding back their key performance. If the high vector-streaming capabilities of XeCPU and Cell really do make a big difference, a standard PC isn't going to have a similar CPU functionality for a long time. Unless a standard in vector-processor addons can be developed, there's certainly potential for the consoles to remain ahead in the processing department.

Shifty Geezer said:
Actually, though this is going off topic, that isn't necessarily true. A PC CPU has to run a clunky OS and a wide variety of applications. It needs legacy support and a very developer-friendly design that'll run all the apps coming from a widely varying pool of programming talent. A console CPU is only going to run optimized code that's passed by the hardware companies and so the can forgo the niceties and legacy support and go for outright targetted parformance. As long as a PC CPU has to run old and flakey code (the sort I write!) hardware is going to be constricted from super-turbo performance.

As a comparison, how long did it take for PCs to catch up with NES 2D capabilities? And how's about SNES 2D abilities? AFAIK generally the consoles were better at games because the hardware was targetted at games. There's no reason for this to change. The only real difference with modern PC's versus consoles is PC's by their nature spearheaded 3D graphics, and a large industry of 3D accelerators has cropped up. But consoles can still aim to be custom gaming-monsters in the CPU department whereas PC CPU's will always have the ball-and-chain of legacy support holding back their key performance. If the high vector-streaming capabilities of XeCPU and Cell really do make a big difference, a standard PC isn't going to have a similar CPU functionality for a long time. Unless a standard in vector-processor addons can be developed, there's certainly potential for the consoles to remain ahead in the processing department.

Consoles will always have games that are made specifically for them so that's a big advantage.
I think a double core A64 4800 can already give Xenon a run for its money, even though we'll probably never know. And that A64 X2 4800 (i think that's the top one at the moment, not sure cause things move so fast these days) will keep getting bigger and better.
One thing to acknowledge is that an A64 X2 4800 probably costs a couple of times as much as the whole X360 so comparisons are kinda useless, like they always are.
About Cell, we don't know yet.

fouad said:
The main reason why people prefer Console games, is that

CONSOLE GAMES ARE FAR BETTER AND MORE INTERESTING, ENTERTAINING, INNOVATIVE THAN PC GAMES. PERIOD

In general yes, but there are some games on the PC you just can't get into on a console even if its release on one. e.g MMORPG and RTS games.

Anyway back on topic: Is MGS4 the first next-gen game?

This is debate like all things, but if all X360/PS3/Rev games before MGS4 brings nothing new to the table but slightly better graphics (which is not really the case as most high-end PC can pretty much match if not out do what is currently *released*), then I for one will agrue 'Yes'!

For example, if say GoW comes out before MGS4 and blows everything away and can not be reproduced on a PC for a while, then 'No'.

O'cause this is my opinion only, thus we'll see what will be out between now and the release of MGS4.

And here i thought that the first game on a next gen machine was already a next gen game...
Why, of all games, would MGS4 be the "first next gen game"? Just because we saw a pretty realtime demo?
There will be hundreds of other games that will look that good and play just as well, we just haven't seen them, and seen how Kojima likes to take it easy and "get it right", many will be released before MGS4.

london-boy said:
And here i thought that the first game on a next gen machine was already a next gen game...

In that case, if Tetris was released on the X360, then its an instant 'next-gen' game.

Why bother improving the standards and come up with new ideas??

Back