Metal Gear Solid V & Ground Zeroes on Steam

I folded and bought this. It's fun, BUT:

-After the recent nVidia/game update, optimization fucking sucks. It was fine when I bought it, now my frame rate is all over the place, dipping into the 40's at some points. Which is inexcusable for two Titan X's. And graphically, I don't think it's "next gen" quality. So whatever these people writing reviews are smoking is beyond me.

- I haven't played an MGS game since two. So....what....the....hell is happening? I don't understand ANY of the story. I've tried reading about the story, and even then it's all over the place.

I enjoy the format, however. It's a breath of fresh air and a nice departure from the old MGS formula. Stealth games, however, have a tendency to drive me insane. The pacing is far too slow for me and I usually run out of patience and just gun my way through objectives, completely ignoring the "element of surprise."

- I haven't played an MGS game since two. So....what....the....hell is happening? I don't understand ANY of the story. I've tried reading about the story, and even then it's all over the place.
You and me both. I'm liking the fundamental gameplay but the story is nuts. If you've not already done so, listen to all the briefing tapes but will at least explain what has happened during your absence but not anything about the enemies you encounter in the prologue.

From what I understand this game is chronologically before the other games are, which is sort of weird. My son understands it, but I really get confused/a headache when he tries to explain it to me. I'll get him to later and just post up what he says verbatim.

I bought it too. I'm enjoying much more than I thought I would.

I'm another one of those that hasn't played MGS since 2. The story is definitely bonkers to begin with. I suspect a lot of it is Metaphor rather than supposed to be literal.

I'm another one of those that hasn't played MGS since 2. The story is definitely bonkers to begin with. I suspect a lot of it is Metaphor rather than supposed to be literal.
I did wonder if the weird stuff was hallucinations brought on from 9 years of kipping and shrapnel. And Ocelot says something about this in one of the briefing tapes.

But the Skulls appeared later and it was back into WTF territory.

This game is awesome.

The into was insane. Then you make it to Afghanistan and it kind of plateaus for a while. For me, I'm inherently bad at stealth games, so it took me a while to get the hang of of how to successfully be sneaky. One thing I don't like is the game punishes you for going in with guns blazing. It makes your approach pretty linear, but once you master sneaking up on people, hold ups, silent kills and interrogations it's pretty rewarding.

I really like how your resupply drop can actually land on you and knock out you and your horse. They game, however, needs a keyboard map. There literally isn't one. There's only a controller button map.

This game is awesome.

The into was insane. Then you make it to Afghanistan and it kind of plateaus for a while. For me, I'm inherently bad at stealth games, so it took me a while to get the hang of of how to successfully be sneaky. One thing I don't like is the game punishes you for going in with guns blazing. It makes your approach pretty linear, but once you master sneaking up on people, hold ups, silent kills and interrogations it's pretty rewarding.

I really like how your resupply drop can actually land on you and knock out you and your horse. They game, however, needs a keyboard map. There literally isn't one. There's only a controller button map.
So you can't walk into a base and EXPLOSIONS!?

Wai.....What?
2015-09-10_00001.jpg

So, I'm now thinking about giving up on this game. Evidently if you build a FOB, you can get griefed by cheaters. Stop playing the game for a day or two and you could come back with most of your resources gone and most of your personnel killed or abducted. WTF? Did Konami and/or Kojima even think this stupid thing through?

There are now cheats available that as soon as an attacker enters your FOB, all of your defenders are perma stunned. Cheats that allow them to teleport to the exit. And, of course, the one that has existed since launch of god mode (can't be killed in FOB), but you used to be able to CQC them and fulton them out of your base. Nope, there are cheats to prevent that now as well. And if they exit get random personnel from your SINGLE PLAYER motherbase.

And it isn't as if they need the resources or personnel since cheats allow you to have whatever you want. It's purely to grief players that are only interested in the single player game. So that when those poor SOBs come back from a day or two (or god forbid they go on a vacation) their MB is basically in shambles and they have to spend hours if not days to rebuild their MB personnel.

Yeah, good going Konami. And you can't opt out of it once it's enabled. I could firewall the game, but seriously? As far as I'm concerned after this. Good riddance Konami. I'm glad you aren't going to be making AAA games anymore.

One case where the console version is far superior to the PC version as I'm assuming that cheating isn't so bad on consoles.

Regards,
SB

Isn't there an offline mode? If not I'll be adding Konami's servers to my routers block list.

Isn't there an offline mode? If not I'll be adding Konami's servers to my routers block list.

Nope, the first thing the game does when you start it is to go online. Which syncs your FOB with online automatically. AFTER that you can put the game into offline mode. Until the next time you start it and it goes online.

The only other way to have the game stay in offline mode (other than firewalling it) is to decline the EULA when you first install the game. Then you aren't allowed to participate in the [sarcasm]glory[/sarcasm] that is online mode.

Regards,
SB

I started the game yesterday and I declined so I am offline. I have no idea how this impacts me except I can't upload records or something.

I started the game yesterday and I declined so I am offline. I have no idea how this impacts me except I can't upload records or something.

Other than the online FOB stuff, you lose out on daily login rewards. Online FOB can accelerate base development, research, and resource gathering if you are active a lot. However, if you get targeted by an online griefer using cheats, you'll be constantly set back and have to spend the majority of your single player time just trying to keep everything at the same level, much less getting it to progress. Even without being targeted by a cheater, if you don't play the game for a few days or a week or two, expect your single player experience to get set back significantly as people steal your resources and your personnel every day.

Regards,
SB

Back