Matrox codename Parhelia again and Matrox G450 x4 MMS PCB de

See the GF4 capacitors in action (one pic):
Got an EPoX 8KHA(+)? Thinking of Getting a Visiontek Ti4600? Dont!

Reports from around the net are that the Visiontek Ti4600 has a capacitor on it that could break when the card is inserted into the AGP slot on the EPoX board. This is caused by another capacitor under the AGP slot on the EPoX board being in the way. EPoX's statement to this was that it only happens with Visiontek cards. Heres a pic of whats happening.
http://www.nvmax.com/cgi-bin/nvmax.pl?action=news&num=1015042352

mu.com is just a waste of spam space. "Super Fast!!!" "faster than the fastest!!!"
doesn't really tell me this guy (kid) knows what he's talking about. The people on the forums there don't seem too bright either :/ (almost as bad as madonion)

On 2002-03-07 18:59, Nebuchadnezzar wrote:
This is nice:

A guy posted an Article about the Parhelia

http://www.matroxusers.com

:eek: :eek: :eek:
And that in two months!

"3. It is fast. It will have a new memory design, different from all current video cards. Memory speed will be faster than the current fastest (a GeForce4). Faster by a huge margin of victory."

eDRAM? - say 2Mb maybe for the Z buffer.

On 2002-03-07 19:27, Don't Ask wrote:
mu.com is just a waste of spam space. "Super Fast!!!" "faster than the fastest!!!"
doesn't really tell me this guy (kid) knows what he's talking about. The people on the forums there don't seem too bright either :/ (almost as bad as madonion)
I think VigilAnt knows very well what he is talking about, I think he said things the way he did because he didn't want to reveal too much detail. Well, we'll just have to see, right?

As for the people on the forums, we are currently a little out of our minds because of joy. You would be too if you had waited three years for another high end part :rollseyes:
Not all of us are geniuses of course, and not all know their 3D terminology inside out. But we know what we like, and we have been brought together by our love for the quality of Matrox hardware :smile:

BTW. I agree that http://www.mu.com/ is a waste of space.

Looks as though it will be a 192-bit memory interface - the text says "It will not be 256 bit and will not be 128 bit". What else does that leave! (Apart from embedded, of course)

Well, the the different ways marketers "claim" bandwidth depth, it wouldn't surprise me much at all if it was actually 128 or 256 bit.

It might be a 256 bit wide DDR interface, and the inference is that "it's effectively a 512 bit interface, therefore not 128 or 256."

Who knows. ;)

I my calculations are right (or close!) 400Mhz memory with a 192-bit interface would yield bandwidth of around 18Gbps (19.2 if you do the old Gigabyte "equals" 1000000000 bytes calculation).

This would tie in with the bandwidth figures floating around. I've seen several people who have a bit of knowledge say that a 192-bit interface might be viable.

If the chip does, indeed, exist and is 192-bit, it will be interesting to see what form of Occlusion culling it might do also.

On 2002-03-08 11:04, Mariner wrote:
Looks as though it will be a 192-bit memory interface - the text says "It will not be 256 bit and will not be 128 bit". What else does that leave! (Apart from embedded, of course)

Joe De Furia: well in that MURC news thingy they are talking about chip bus. Not memory bus. So, if you have 256Bit DDR memory interface, would that mean that your chip must have 512Bit data bus inside, because with 256Bits inside the chip isn't enough for handling all data coming from that memory bus.

am I right? :smile: if yes, then that easily explains it being 512Bit chip. :smile:

Well, nothing prevents you from using a DDR bus internally either. DDR tech is not exclusive to memory interfaces.

On 2002-03-08 23:19, Humus wrote:
Well, nothing prevents you from using a DDR bus internally either. DDR tech is not exclusive to memory interfaces.

yes, But has anyone done it yet?
no, I don't think so... or am I wrong?

I'm certain it has been done in lots of hardware. The P4 has a DDR ALU for instance, but I'd think it's more common for DDR tech to be used for buses of various kinds. AGP2x is a DDR btw, AGP4x is QDR. If I'm not mistaken I think ethernet in fullduplex mode is some sort of DDR too (like read on falling edge, write on rising).

Companies might use an internal DDR bus and not release that information, because it doesn't affect the function of the chip so developers don't need to know it. One thing I've heard that might make DDR buses less useful for internal wiring is that it is more difficult to use a DDR bus when the bus isn't point to point.

On 2002-03-10 03:06, Humus wrote:
If I'm not mistaken I think ethernet in fullduplex mode is some sort of DDR too (like read on falling edge, write on rising).

Actually (UTP) ethernet has separate wires for RX and TX, so nothing DDR-like has to be done. (And BNC can't be fullduplex.)

On 2002-03-08 21:20, Nappe1 wrote:

am I right? :smile: if yes, then that easily explains it being 512Bit chip. :smile:

I don't know, but I guess you are. Remember the G400 was already 256bit. :smile:

On 2002-03-10 10:45, Hyp-X wrote:
On 2002-03-08 21:20, Nappe1 wrote:

I don't know, but I guess you are. Remember the G400 was already 256bit. :smile:

well yes, but it was a Dual Channel 128Bit, was it? so if I am not mistaken, it couldn't handle 128Bit DDR memory, because both channels could not be operated same direction at the same time. IN/IN or OUT/OUT wasn't possible, but it was very powerful for 128Bit SDR memories because it was capable doing IN/OUT or OUT/IN. (Both Channels worked separately. so while data from/to memories was using first channel, 2nd channel could have been used for chip's internal transfers.)

I am an loysy explainer as you can see, but hopefully someone got the idea. :smile:

Using both rising and falling edges of a clock cycle is used in more than just RAM. AGP, the P4's FSB, the Athlon's FSB, Caches for various MPUs and the list goes on, basically wherever one cannot implement a faster or wider bus, double pump it.

As for the G400 has dual internal 128 bit buses that do NOT extend outside of the chip in anyway, they are used to access the on chip frame buffer tile cache or texture cache (can't remember) so that it could be read from and written to in the same clock. And before anyone goes nuts, the G400 isn't a deffered tile render, it simply tiled the frame buffer.

Nappe1, it kinda sounds like you're implying that these busses extended outside the chip, when they are purely internal. I think they did something simillar with the G200, except with dual 64bit buses.

Saem: yes, actually ment Internal Data Bus on G400. But did that Bus reach to memory controller?? so was the on board memory bus accessible using this internal data bus? Or How on earth G400 did on board memory accesses? :)

Multichannel RAMBUS would fit the description of memory tech that hasn't been used in video cards before, and 8 channels of 1200Mhz Rdram would give 19GB/s. It also seems to have come down in price somewhat.

ronaldo said:
Multichannel RAMBUS would fit the description of memory tech that hasn't been used in video cards before, and 8 channels of 1200Mhz Rdram would give 19GB/s. It also seems to have come down in price somewhat.
I don`t think that would be possible if this chip is already in its alpha stage.I could be wrong though because Matrox is also known for introducing exotic memory types & it might be possible.

Back