Matrox codename Parhelia again and Matrox G450 x4 MMS PCB de

I'm just thinking out loud here....

If we had some graphics card with 32 megs of DRDRAM, it would have 4 modules. Each module could be connected with it's own channel. So that would come to a 32 bit bus. =)

Now, DRDRAM currently reaches 800 MHz, but due to heat and the fact that it's inserted into a slot rather than soldered it doesn't really go beyond 533MHz (most Samsung memory makes it this high so I'm using that number and it's already sampling to mobo manufacturers). Now I'm going to make an assumption and it's not necessarily sound, seeing as I'm comparing a parallel architecture vs a serial packetized one, but here goes... DDR can reach 166MHz on motherboards while one can get units that run at +300MHz, so lets assume that DRDRAM can get a frequency doubling as well. The 4 extra layers of PCB and the fact that it's soldered on and the specifications are tighter might be able to reach this. So the only concern is cooling which I will conveniently forget about. ;)

So, 4 channels at PC800 will reach a 6.4 GB/s and PC1600 12.8 GB/s while PC1066 will reach 8.4 Gb/s and PC 2133 16.8 GB/s. So any where from 6.4 GB/s to 16.8 GB/s, not bad considering the fine granuality and the number of open pages per channel. Even with high latency I think most if not all graphics operations are very prefetching friendly.

Wouldn't be bad, except I wouldn't be suprised if heat and lisencing costs are prohibitive.

Back