Managing techies

Frank

Certified not a majority
Veteran
There is often a big difference between political goals and making things work, especially at large companies. Very often, the political goals don't actually "work", in a technical sense, but they do in a political one. And vice versa.

While the big deals are made among managers, at the personal end it's the engineers you trust. They don't try to get you to buy your stuff, no matter if you need it, but want to make things work better and have an interesting time making it so.

For our software department, we have more work than we can manage, literally and figuratively. All our software engineers are "self-managing", and our customers (from small to very large) react much more positive to one of us having a chat, than the managers and salesmen from other companies. And we don't even try to sell them stuff!

We are only managed by our managers (who are mostly engineers as well, but someone has to do the paperwork) if we ask for it. And it seems to work out well: we have to say "no" about half the time, because we haven't got the manpower to do it. Even while we grow steadily. Although finding people who fit in is not easy.

That stands in stark contrast to the general wisdom, that engineers should be kept on a tight leash, and that you cannot have them talk to customers. Because they don't communicate your goals, like how much more of their budget you want, or how you want to handle that project to become (one of) their preffered supplier(s). And you cannot run a business without all that, can you?

An interesting point is large projects. In my experience, the people involved tend to gravitate towards the tasks they like best, and all the nesscesary work is eventually done, even without actual management. Although you need to motivate them and give them a goal they think they can reach, depending on their background and interests. But that's something you should ask an engineer to do in the first place. Leadership by example versus management. And the projects get finished, without much fuss, budget overruns or meetings.

So, wouldn't it be better not to manage your techies? A bit like the RPSC forum? I think so. Just let them do whatever they like, as long as they bring in enough money. Which doesn't seem to be any problem, if they're allowed to go to customers as often as they feel like.

:D

It depends. I manage a fair sized group of techies and depending on the task its hit or miss. Motivation levels individually and throughout the group have to be maintained so your absolutely correct about getting the folks that "fit in."

Managers only like "cool" technical things when it meets the business need and achieves the business need faster, for less money, with less people than it would otherwise. Technical wizardry and cool widgets leave a bitter taste in manager's mouths if the business need is not met or the product is not produced as expected... techies tend to dream alot and spend a lot of time on cool minutia...No project is ever really finished. Thats fine at the beginning of a project but as we near the end, it can kill the momentum of a group and cause major heartache at the corporate levels.

I do agree that the best, happiest techies of all are all self managing... the key is do you have whiz"kids" working for you or techies who are adults first. ;)

oh and as a manager they better like your ass... or else.

Yes, I agree hard deadlines are very important. At that date, or not at all. And that everyone has to stick to that. Together with the paperwork and making sure everyone is doing something they like and/or are capable of, that is definitely a good task for a manager to do. Oh, and going to all the meetings, of course. ;)

I think this says it best: if the manager doesn't try to tell them what they have to do in detail, most techies are perfectly happy to have him do whatever he thinks is important.

Last edited by a moderator:
Btw:

I do agree that the best, happiest techies of all are all self managing... the key is do you have whiz"kids" working for you or techies who are adults first. ;)

I think that has more to do with their general outlook and the culture of the company than actual age. But I agree with your sentiment.

Back