Major Nelson tweet 960,000 360's sold over Black Friday

tcrews

Newcomer
Saw a tweet from Major Nelson.....followed the link...

NOVEMBER 29TH 2011 12:25 PM PT
Xbox 360 records the biggest week in Xbox history

I just got in some great news about Xbox sales over the Holiday weekend that I wanted to share with you.

Here are the details directly from a notice we just sent to press:

Entering the seventh year of its lifecycle, Xbox 360 just closed the biggest sales week in the history of Xbox, selling more than 960,000 consoles in the U.S. during the week of Black Friday.

Microsoft’s retail partners are equally excited about our sales performance this holiday.

“We have seen tremendous excitement from customers for our hot holiday gaming offers,” said Chris Homeister, senior vice president and general manager of Home Entertainment at Best Buy. “Xbox 360 was among the best-sellers at Best Buy this Black Friday, and is a testament to the continued popularity of the gaming category this holiday.”

Sales highlights in the U.S. during the week of Black Friday include:

Xbox 360 sold more than 960,000 consoles in the U.S. alone, of which more than 800,000 were sold within a period of 24 hours – the biggest week of sales in Xbox history. (Source: Internal data)
More than 750,000 Kinect for Xbox 360 sensors were sold in the U.S. – standalone and bundled. (Source: Internal data)

Pretty impressive week of sales...

Not wholly unpredictable though ... ! Seasonal sales haven't peaked yet. I think there's still some room for improvement even next year, when prices are even lower and Kinect bundles may reach $199.

Even more impressed with the Kinect sales than with the standalone sales.

With their "biggest week in Xbox history" of sales.....it definitely doesn't seem like they would be interested in introducing the next Xbox anytime soon.

With their "biggest week in Xbox history" of sales.....it definitely doesn't seem like they would be interested in introducing the next Xbox anytime soon.

Probably about as much interest as Sony would have had for launching PS3 in 2005 when PS2 was having the time of its life back in 2004 whilst MS had all the reason to launch the following year... sort of not unlike how Nintendo wants to launch next year. Role switcheroo.

Oh what am I saying, that's just crazy talk.

This implies about 60% greater sales than Wii this month (Nintendo PR stated 500k Wii's sold on BF day, versus 800k 360).

Just checked Nov 10 and it was ~1.4m 360 ~1.3m Wii for the month. So, relative improvement to Wii there.

I think Kinect boosts Xbox mostly in the holidays. Much like you can see the Wii being strongest in the holidays. I also think the vast amount of deals and gift cards for 360 stood in well for a price cut. $100 off/gift card various SKU's was almost always available at major retailers on BF.

I dont know why Sony or retailers didn't push $149 PS3 deals, it's the only thing imo that would have got PS3 to stand out. As it was they mostly did 50 off, =$200 PS3, which wasn't exciting amidst the clutter.

Just curious, does the PS3 have strong offers in Black Fridays?
I remember the 360 had crazy discounts last year too!

Just curious, does the PS3 have strong offers in Black Fridays?
I remember the 360 had crazy discounts last year too!

I definitely think the PS3 will eclipse last years sales for the month and by a lot. The deals got you to $200 but I don't recall anything akin to a Kinect like bundle with Move for $200 just the two-game bundles.

I don't know - I think I agree with Rangers on this one. The 360 is now top dog in the US. Sony will probably end up much closer to Wii than last time, but 360 will win the holidays in the US with a healthy margin.

I don't know - I think I agree with Rangers on this one. The 360 is now top dog in the US. Sony will probably end up much closer to Wii than last time, but 360 will win the holidays in the US with a healthy margin.

The PS3 only did 530k last year for reference if Sony doesn't outperform that they have a serious issue. You are referencing the 360, I am not, I am comparing the PS3 to itself YoY.

Not wholly unpredictable though ... ! Seasonal sales haven't peaked yet. I think there's still some room for improvement even next year, when prices are even lower and Kinect bundles may reach $199.

FYI, Black Friday deals this year had 4gb xb360 w/ Kinect for $150 ($200 + $50 giftcard)

Kinect has added a whole new dimension to 360 including an entire market segment previously who had purchased wii's or may have intended to purchase a Wii-like product. (my opinion) It was a brillliant product at a perfect time when Wii had started to run its course.

No way IMO, MS releases Xbox loop-de-loop (Infinity ;)) before 2013.

Kinect has added a whole new dimension to 360 including an entire market segment previously who had purchased wii's or may have intended to purchase a Wii-like product. (my opinion) It was a brillliant product at a perfect time when Wii had started to run its course.

No way IMO, MS releases Xbox loop-de-loop (Infinity ;)) before 2013.

Well, at least the increasing support for 360 as a medium for TV and movies should be enough of a hint of their near term plans. *ahem*

Meanwhile, in the UK, the price of the Kinect sensor on Amazon went up from £99 to £107, and Kinect packages stayed at £225 and £270.

God damn you MS, I need to co-win the sales thread.

Edit: GOD DAMN! Kinect Sensor is now £108.66 on Amazon!

FYI, Black Friday deals this year had 4gb xb360 w/ Kinect for $150 ($200 + $50 giftcard)

This was the Amazon lightning deal and it was really hard to get (sold out in seconds type deal)

More plentiful at various retailers was straight $100 off 4gb w/kinect, or 250gb no kinect SKU's. The extra $50 credit Amazon kicked in made it the best deal, didn't see that one getting matched, whereas $100 off was the norm.

This was the Amazon lightning deal and it was really hard to get (sold out in seconds type deal)

More plentiful at various retailers was straight $100 off 4gb w/kinect, or 250gb no kinect SKU's. The extra $50 credit Amazon kicked in made it the best deal, didn't see that one getting matched, whereas $100 off was the norm.

No, Wal-mart was $199 + $50 bonus gift card for the 4GB Kinect bundle.

EDIT: GAF deals thread

I saw a lot of $199 4GB Kinect Bundles and a couple $199 250GB kits w/o Kinect. $199 seemed to get people excited.

Tap In, please step forward and get your prize! It took a bazillion years but the first console to have a premium version hit $199 coincided with crazy sales. The $199 price point isn't dead I guess!

Probably about as much interest as Sony would have had for launching PS3 in 2005 when PS2 was having the time of its life back in 2004 whilst MS had all the reason to launch the following year... sort of not unlike how Nintendo wants to launch next year. Role switcheroo.

Oh what am I saying, that's just crazy talk.

I have mentioned this before, and I am crazy, but every company should learn from what Sony did. They tried to ride the PS2 too long. They very well could have allowed it to do exactly what it did anyhow--decline gracefully while supporting the PS3--but they held on too long and let the competition get first dibs at their lunch.

Getting those early adopters (which, btw, even with Sony improving their install base and all those repeat sale Xbox units MS still does exceptionally at moving software because IMO early adopters consume a lot of material) is important to get the ball rolling. If MS had come out of the gate in 2006 and hit the RRoD they would be last place in NA imo.

Getting those early adopters (which, btw, even with Sony improving their install base and all those repeat sale Xbox units MS still does exceptionally at moving software because IMO early adopters consume a lot of material) is important to get the ball rolling. If MS had come out of the gate in 2006 and hit the RRoD they would be last place in NA imo.

I couldn't agree more.

BTW, what award do I get? :p

You have to share it with Tap In who, btw, is a hot chick! She is shy in chat though, she never says much. You would know this if you ever joined the B3D gaming parties!

After all this time I still don't know if the Tap In is a chick comments are true or some long running inside joke! In any case...the sales numbers mentioned in the above article should at least put to rest any thought that the Xbox 720 would be coming out in 2012.

Back