Mac OS/X Lion (Out Now)

I think you can pause downloads in the App Store, as you can on iOS devices.

OK thanks mate, though I cant see it. mac OS is lacking polish on that and many other things (*) eg Ideally I should be able to right click on that icon and select pause or show some other info eg percentage downloaded estimated time to completion, or whatever, all I see is a tiny progress bar (when an app is taking a few hours to download the bar aint moving)

(*)eg I make the cursors larger (cause theyre so tiny) looks good but about 10% of the time its very blocky (so its not being smoother when its upscaled), i.e. programming bug. OK a minor thing but its not polished

#1 I still cant find a solution to this, it is a deal breaker, right now Im on windows with the internet, since without this browsing the internet is painful.

#1 I still cant find a solution to this, it is a deal breaker, right now Im on windows with the internet, since without this browsing the internet is painful.

I'd have to have a look ... I already stopped using a mouse on OS/X but switched to touchpad (Wacom Bamboo Touch) and just use two finger scrolling.

cheers its like going back to using 1 screen instead of 2 or going back to 800x600 resolution or something, Whilst its possible to do these (hell we all used to years ago) it physically pains you to do so once youve been spoilt.
Im gonna have to look at objective C now, it cant be any worse than the language that Ive been using for the last 6 months (javascript)
From some searching it might be possible to use c++ for IOS programming, anyone had any experiences with this? Or shall I just bite the bullet and learn objective C (it looks ugly from a cursory look)

So how is a touchpad? Is it anything like a laptops trackpad (Which I hate compared to a mouse) or is it a lot better?

cheers for the info about the trackpad, Ive done a search & found this
XH5321_0_med_v1_m56577569835169617.JPG

now I know what apple was trying to say when I booted the minimac up for the first time without a keyboard plugged in, it displayed a stylised image like above with somegreen light on it and a switch (so I assumed Ive gotta turn on some switch I lifted up the mac looked all around couldnt see it) :)
note to the apple team, next time write onscreen 'no keyboard attached, OK language issues and also that goes against the minimalist principles) OK how about this show a picture of a keyboard with a cross through it.
Thats the major problem with the apple mantra, is they choose ascetics above utilitarianism, eg my mac mouse is a perfect example (it looks good, but its a uncomfortable PITA to use, hell a $5 chinese piece of junk, plastic mouse is more usable)

FWIW must have app, fixes the maximize window button (zoom button)
This will be in an upcoming mac os release (just like border expand has changed from just the corner to anywhere on the border)
http://www.blazingtools.com/downloads.html#RightZoom

Last edited by a moderator:
There are two different styles you can use in Objective C, one of which looks like regular C and thus JavaScript But a lotof Apple's examples use the weirder alternative version that takes a lot of getting used to.

From some searching it might be possible to use c++ for IOS programming, anyone had any experiences with this? Or shall I just bite the bullet and learn objective C (it looks ugly from a cursory look)

Since iOS uses only Cocoa, Objective C is mandatory. As Arwin said, now Objective C supports alternative syntax which looks more similar to C++, but the underlying principle is still very different (C++ is a static OOP, while Objective C is dynamic).

Personally I prefer the bracket syntax because it avoids any possible confusion over Objective C classes and C++ classes (you can still use C++ with Objective C), although many samples from Apple now seems to be using the C++ like syntax more.

When you two speak of a new "C-like alternative syntax", do you just mean the dot-notation for accessing properties?

cheers its like going back to using 1 screen instead of 2 or going back to 800x600 resolution or something, Whilst its possible to do these (hell we all used to years ago) it physically pains you to do so once youve been spoilt.
Im gonna have to look at objective C now, it cant be any worse than the language that Ive been using for the last 6 months (javascript)
From some searching it might be possible to use c++ for IOS programming, anyone had any experiences with this? Or shall I just bite the bullet and learn objective C (it looks ugly from a cursory look)...

I've had success with Marmalade, it's pretty sweet. I haven't yet bought a license, but only because I haven't produced anything commercial.

although many samples from Apple now seems to be using the C++ like syntax more.
OK thanks looks like I'll have to look into objective c and I might as well try out the newer syntax , cause I assume its gonna just grow.
I see most/all? programs are staticly linked, which is a smart move, Ive been saying this for more than 10 years with windows, yes the final app can be bigger (but often not since you often have to include the dll anyways) but its a much better result for the end user, no dll hell. Actually the whole way that apple handles software installation with packages is much better than windows. though many other things are worse, eg their file explorer is a pile of dung :) whats a good replacement?

also before I buy a $51 cable to hook up a second monitor, can I start up Xcode and resize it so it takes up both screens i.e. treat both monitors as one big monitor? i.e. I can drag a window from one screen to the next one.
the reason I ask is because in win/linux earlier you were restricted to just the one program in one screen, even today you cant have a video playing across both screens its either one or the other.

Cheers Otto, Im not too sure about using a library I'll keep it in mind though, I'll research this a bit more before I start work on anything. Ill get a book out of the library tomorrow

FWIW first 3d program I tried was one of my games, html5&webgl for the win. Pity about javascript though but the ability to write once & view on windows or linux or mac and for it to just work is sweet

Back