Low Profile socket 939 heatsink suggestions?

Sxotty

Legend
I need some suggestions. I have an antec aria case with a nf2 in it now. I just received my winfast mobo that was RMA'ed for my s939 athlon 64. I want to get a decent heatsink that is quiet and will fit in the space available. This means it can be a max of 62mm high basically, and the shorter the better. It seems most heatsinks are huge so I am having trouble finding a decent one.

The default cooler for opterons on 939 are awesome, heatpipe and all still very small (yes a rhyme)... Anyway any suggestions appreciated thanks.

I havent seen a single low profile heatsink for Socket 939. They are a rare beast.
If someone finds one I too will be hugely interested.

The Zalman is a well-regarded and high quality cooler. If you're worried about the Al/Cu combination (although reviews show there is no reason you should be), simply buy the all copper version. This is a little more expensive but does perform very slightly better.

Unless you are interested in 'bling' I'd also recommend you avoid the LED versions. The transparent plastic used in the fans is more brittle than opaque fans which creates more resonance and makes them a little noisier. The non-LED versions are also probably cheaper!

Regarding the AlCu - I have a 7000 AlCu running a X2 3800+@2,5Ghz with the fan at about medium speed and it hasnt broken the 60°C barrier yet (usually ~57-58° under load)...my case is open ATM though.

Coolermaster make some low-profile S939 heatsinks aimed at 1U and 2U servers. Problem is ... they'll be a challenge to use because they're designed to fit in airflow-optimised server cases.

http://ecd.coolermaster.com/english/index.php

I've used the Zalman 7000AlCu in an HTPC project of mine, it's an awesome cooler. It's quiet (though far from silent) and cools well. It's hardly "low-profile" though.

Well the Zalman is short enough at 62mm, but that will be hitting the power supply in the antex case. I am worried that it is too wide though. The power supply in the Aria has a L shaped indention for the heatsink so if it was wide it would hit where the power supply comes down farther. I am afraid to pay $44.00 for a paper weight, the missus would be upset about that :)... I may just go ahead and try it, but it is not my first choice. I had a zalman fower one before for NF7-S mobo and it was a sweet heatsink so I like the brand, I was just thinking that a heatpipe one would work better due to having some more laws of physics on its side :)

Back