Considering an upgrade...

... and yes, I think the chances are good you'll want a new PSU. I could be wrong though, it depends on how many amps that antec puts out on the +12V. Lately, Antec seems to have had a line of actual Antec quality PSUs and a line of crap.

25 Amps on the +12V line.

As for all the other debates about Socket AM2/939 and DDR/DDR2/DDR3, you guys are confusing the hell out of me. :D

25 Amps on the +12V line.

As for all the other debates about Socket AM2/939 and DDR/DDR2/DDR3, you guys are confusing the hell out of me. :D

Sorry about that.

Are you going to use any thing form your old system? Your first post would point tht way.
A good PSU is always a good thing with newer systems now because they pull more power now. The +12V rail is were the newer system pull the added power now so the +12V rail needs to be 25 amps combined. When I say combined I mean that the newer PSU can have more then on +12V rail and the spec sticker on the PSU will show this.

I'm of the opinion that DDR3 is not a thing we should care that much about.

So you read the DDR3 will infact work in AM2 boards, dont suppose you have a link, would like to confirm.

I wasnt' cut clear. we're supposed to know that AM3 CPUs will work on AM2 socket (you'll need AM3 CPU and AM3 motherboard to run DDR3).

I wasnt' cut clear. we're supposed to know that AM3 CPUs will work on AM2 socket (you'll need AM3 CPU and AM3 motherboard to run DDR3).

well according to this rumor its going to be K8L cpus operating off AM2 boards.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=34

However, there is a catch. AM3 CPUs fitted onto AM2 motherboards will only support DDR2 and won't be able to take advantage of HT-3, but I don't see this being a huge problem since neither are likely to offer much in the way of benefits for desktop users.

Seems kinda confusing unless the MC can work with both types or they're making two seperate versions of chips (most likely). Still though you have to wonder about older chipset compatability, like those few that didnt work with the first AMD dual core. Its a chance i personally wouldnt want to take.

Last edited by a moderator:
well according to this rumor its going to be K8L cpus operating off AM2 boards.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=34

Seems kinda confusing unless the MC can work with both types or they're making two seperate versions of chips (most likely). Still though you have to wonder about older chipset compatability, like those few that didnt work with the first AMD dual core. Its a chance i personally wouldnt want to take.
The only chipset I can think of that had problems with Athlon X2s was VIA. The other problems was a BIOS problem but was fix with a updated BIOS. This type of problems will alway happen with newer CPUs on mobos that was released before the CPU. Intel had this problem with Conroe with X975. You had to update the BIOS or the system would not post. This is going to happen with new CPUs.

Back