Low cost computers killing PC gaming

This is why I can't understand why everyone is so down on the Vista performance rating system. This is exactly the kind of problem that it can help to solve, if PC's are sold with this rating advertised and people have already looked at the games they want to play and know what the reccomended rating is then it can help n00bs be more tech saavy in their purchase.

Sure that $2000 PC have a top of the line CPU and a 500GB HDD in it. But its memory and game score are only 2 and 1 respectively so its no good for that game which needs a 3 and 4.

Thats the scenario im hoping to see.

EDIT: In fact even better would be if the score is a gaming performance score rather than an overall system performance and thus is heavily weighted towards the GPU. That would make it even easier for the n00bs. Shops can continue quoting meaningless Ghz and GB figures but also include the gaming performance rating. Afterall, like has already been mentioned, you don't really need a high end PC for anything other than gaming or proffesional apps, and if your using those kind of apps on a PC, your probably tech saavy enough already. My Girlfriends brother is a hardcore CS player in a clan. he bought a "gaming PC" from Currys a few weeks back with a 6200TC inside! I nearly cried!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back