looking for a dvd rw drive

jvd

Banned
Well my birthday was saturday and my rents told me they'd buy me one as long as it was around 150. I've found these choices

nec ND-1300A/GEN its a 4x drive and it writes both formats .

Optorite DVD+-RW Dual Retail Drive Model DD0203

Teac DVD -/+ RW Dual Drive, Model DVW50DP012

I was wondering if anyone owns these and if they are good. Or if u guys know of better ones around my price range. Thanks for the help.

I have the NEC drive (NEC branded, the same drive is also sold as OEM by lots of other companies, TDK and Iomega for example), no complains. Easy to make region free if needed.

i have the Nec 1100A (same as 1300, but can only write DVD+R(W)s)

it works fine, no complaints.
But i've read somewhere that the 1300A has/had some Problems with some DVD Rs (dont know if its true/still there/allready fixed)

btw: happy birthday!

Have you read the article on anandtech about the plextor? That drive looks truly awesome it is $230 though on pricewatch.

Have a look at the Sony DRU-510A, Pioneer A06, & new Liteon LDW-411S. All are 4x DVD±RW units (DVD-R 2x). I don't know much about the Liteon LDW-411S except for its high CD-R/RW speeds. I heard that the 8X Liteon LDW-801S will be out Q403. The Optowrite/MSI, etc are Sanyo OEM. The NEC ND-1300 series is particularly inexpensive & IIRC is about to be replaced by new 8x DVD+RW (ND-2100) & DVD±RW (ND-2300) drives. The Plextor PX-708A offers 8x for DVD+R & is still somewhat expensive.

As usual, broad DVD media compatibility is a problem...

Got the nec 1300A, no probs whatsoever although the pinnacle SW that came with it is about as effective as a 5200 in HL2

Back