Looking for a cheapy case deal.

digitalwanderer

wandering
Legend
I got all the bits to throw together a PC, but no case. I don't want to spend much, just enough to put an ATX system in.

Anyone seen any deals lately?

I've had a server in a cardboard box for a while, with a screwdriver for the on-off button.

It's for a 13 year old boy who's family can't afford him a gaming computer. A mid-ATX is what I'm basically looking for, for under $30 shipped.

Right now I'm leaning towards this one at $35 shipped, but I'd really like to go cheaper. (Yeah, I know I'm being stupidly picky. :rolleyes: )

The Antec 900 is incredible for the price, but I think it's still a little more than what you're looking to spend.

coolermaster cases have a great reputation, they may be the best deal. the cheap series don't have complicated names like "Raznor HFXX 232", they're called "elite" :).

they cost about 30 euros over here, which translates to $40 on the amazon site.

I've seen crappy black cases firsthand, very slim metal sheets, flimsy mounted ultra low quality plastic on the 5"1/4 bays (you don't dare touch it), and ugly in the end even though they looked like a good idea. totally not worth it, you'd better build the PC into an old junk beige tower, it's better built, has thicker plastic and metal and the cost is $0.

Yeah, do you have a mom n pop shop around? Its been awhile but when I lived in the states I had a dingy pc shop and a second hand pc parts shop both within walking distance... or driving distance if you live in honkytown ;)

You could try calling a smallish pc repair service in the yellow pages. When I worked for one I accumulated a formidable supply of miscellaneous atx parts...

Pshaw ... as long as you don't fuss about cable aesthetics swapping the components from one case to another is a negligible amount of work.

Actually you'd be surprised how quiet 120mm fans can be. My case has 6 of them and if you throttle the CPU fan it's near silent. Unfortunately for me the motherboard doesn't allow me to adjust the thermal levels where it kicks up so it gets too hot for me in that mode.

Back