Looking for 16x9 LCD monitor/TV

Scott_Arm

Legend
I'm starting to seriously look at getting a new screen for my computer.

HDTV capability is a must
16x9 is a must
DVI input is a must
reasonable response for gaming is a must
prefer black border around screen, rather than silver or grey.
smaller size between 21-27" (it has to fit on my desk, 27" may be too large)
Something between $1000-2000 CAD is a must. If there's something lower, that would be even better!

The last thing is, with all this talk about Blu-Ray and HD-DVD copy protection schemes using HDMI, should I list HDMI as a must, or should I be safe with DVI/HDCP? It would be very nice if I could find a monitor with both, because then I could use it for my PC and hook up an Xbox360 or PS3 if I ever got one.

If anyone has some good suggestions, please let me know.

DVI + HDCP is just the same as HDMI, so you can happily pick such a monitor and still be good for some BR or HDDVD luvin'. Well, the same except for the connector plug of course, and for the integrated sound signals in the HDMI cable. :)

And the Dell 2405FPW is awesome, but awesome as it is, it does not support HDCP over DVI. :( Also, it has no built-in TV tuner, so if you need that your easiest option is probably to get a PC add-in board... Or maybe an external HDTV decoder box, if your country is in the process of migrating to that standard.

Guden Oden said:
DVI + HDCP is just the same as HDMI, so you can happily pick such a monitor and still be good for some BR or HDDVD luvin'. Well, the same except for the connector plug of course, and for the integrated sound signals in the HDMI cable. :)

And the Dell 2405FPW is awesome, but awesome as it is, it does not support HDCP over DVI. :( Also, it has no built-in TV tuner, so if you need that your easiest option is probably to get a PC add-in board... Or maybe an external HDTV decoder box, if your country is in the process of migrating to that standard.

No. HDMI is a completely different connection than DVI. You can transmit HDCP encrypted signals over DVI and HDMI. HDMI has a different connector and carries both audio and video signals over the same cable.

I'm using Acer AL2671W LCD/TV. It was just over $1000 CDN. The only thing dumb about it is that the VGA, DVI, audio in/out (mini-jack) connectors are vertical and underneath the center of the back of the display. It's just hard to connect initially.

The other connectors are enclosed in a back panel, which include 2xComponent video, 2x S-Video, 2x composite, 1xCoaxial (tv tuner), 4xL/R RCA Audio in (total of 19 connections in there).

Edit: almost forgot, there is a "front" set of inputs/outputs (it's a strange one... look in the manual) for composite and 1x L/R RCA audio connectors + 1x minijack for headphones. They're actually vertical and underneath the left/front of the display. Can't even see it :LOL:

Otherwise, it's been great for me. One thing that is neat is that it will smartly cycle through inputs when you turn it on. If there is nothing attached, it'll just cycle through everything. With my PC on, it'll go straight to that input. Unfortunately, I have nothing to test HDCP... It does support 720P for a fact (had to try it out with one of the Xbox games)...

Edit: Correction: I'm playing Syberia on Xbox in 1080i. Not sure what's happening, but it defaults to 720p even if I have 1080i set in the Xbox dashboard. Maybe because 720p is native?

Here's the manual. :) (Note: I know it's the aussie manual, but the only difference is that the picture for the power connector is different)

I haven't tried out the TV Tuner, but as it is not an HD signal I imagine it looks "crap". I do have HD content on my PC (Smallville), and it looks great.

Size/Type: 26" LCD TV
Native Resolution: 1280 x 768
Contrast Ratio: 600:1
HD Ready: Yes
Color System: NTSC
Displayable Colors: 16.7 million
Brightness (typical): 450 nits
Response Time (typical): 16ms (gray to gray)
Horizontal Viewing Angle: 170°
Vertical Viewing Angle: 170°
Swivel Angle: +/-20°
Integrated Speakers: 2 X 5W
Audio Technology: SRS WOW®
Connectivity: PC D-sub, PC audio in, RCA for CVBS, audio R/L, DVI-D (HDCP), headphone
AC Input: 100V - 240V
Maximum Power Consumption: 150W
Power Saving: 5W
Dimensions/Weight: 31.1" (789.0mm) W x 10.2" (260.0mm) D x 22.1" (562.5mm ) H / 41.9 lb. (19.0kg)
Included Accessory: Remote
Chassis Color: Silver and black

Last edited by a moderator:
AlphaWolf said:
You are going to get a lot of Dell 2405fpw recommendations.
But even beyond the lack of HDCP, it is a 16:10 display and from what I understand it doesn't let you letterbox 16:9 content from component video either. Can anyone confirm that?

Kaotik said:
Aren't all widescreen PC displays 16:10, not 16:9?

Widescreen TV displays are typically 16x9; computer displays are usually 16x10, I don't know about all but I can't think of any exceptions off hand.

pakotlar said:
No. HDMI is a completely different connection than DVI.
It's not "completely different". The video bit is the exact same thing in both cases(TDMS standard), plus there's the separate audio link in HDMI, all packaged with different connectors. Just like I said. Fucks sake, you can convert between DVI and HDMI using a simple plug without any electronics in it whatsoever.

Now, are we done with this nonsense? :D

Himself said:
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pr...angid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10069431&catid=22335

21", 16:10, usb ports, component in, dvi/hdcp in, vga in, svideo in, composite in, 1680x1050, intimidating portrait mode. $800 CDN there, might save a hundred buying from the US.

Works well with my starchoice receiver, lg 531 upconverting dvd player using hdmi to dvi cable, very sharp image.

Nice blacks, no ghosting in games.

That looks like an awesome deal. Going to try to find some reviews.

Edit: Can't find any reviews. Any idea what panel this thing is using? Is it an 8bit panel or one of those fast 6bit? How are the viewing angles?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back