Live Anywhere

one

Unruly Member
Veteran
http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2006/may06/05-09G4WE3LineupPR.mspx
Windows Vista Key to Live Anywhere Vision

Under Microsoft’s Live Anywhere vision, announced by Chairman and Chief Software Architect Bill Gates on stage today, the power of the Xbox Live games and entertainment network will storm onto the Windows platform. This vision will first arrive on Windows Vista this winter with the release of “Shadowrun.†Published by Microsoft Game Studios, “Shadowrun†will be shipped simultaneously on Windows Vista and Xbox 360, enabling cross-platform gameplay and continuing to bridge the gap between consoles and computers.

The new online network will provide Windows Vista and Xbox 360 gamers with a consistent experience, with one gamertag, one set of achievements, one friends list and voice communications between all Xbox Live members. Bringing the Live Anywhere vision to Windows means that millions of gamers worldwide can access all the best elements of Xbox Live whether they’re playing on an Xbox 360 system, a Windows-based PC or their mobile phone.

“We’re incredibly excited to combine the best online innovations from Xbox Live with the platform innovations for which Windows is known,†said Peter Moore, corporate vice president of the Interactive Entertainment Business in the Entertainment and Devices Division at Microsoft. “Windows gamers have a lot to look forward to: Xbox Live experiences, revolutionary DirectX 10 technologies in Windows Vista and some of the best games in the world — all on Windows.â€

So in games such as “Halo® 2 for Windows Vista†and "Shadowrun", Windows Vista and Xbox 360 share Xbox Live. Traditionally PC multiplayer gaming has been free except for MMO but this may change it. Will it encourage more PC ports to Xbox 360 or vice versa?

I have to say the demo's they've showed were pretty cool.

I'm not sure how balanced things will be when you're playing Shadowrun on your 360 against a Vista guy though...

But still, the demo was cool.

I think one of the major ideas is to encourage more devs while porting (or in pre-planning) to incorporate the controller into their configs. For FPS, I'm sure that most users will stick to KM, but for some other genres it possible that the controller is better.

While XNA is not just some magic button you press and voila you have your game on two platforms, it is what it wants to be.

This will be the first time in gaming history console players will be able to play against/with PC gamers. I wonder what they are going to do about PC hacking. Or maybe xboxers will see how good PC users are with the KM and they will be accused of hacking. Of course I have had PC gamers accuse me of hacking and we were playing on a VAC server. This will bring up a lot of interesting debates I am sure. This feature of Xbox Live has been spoken about since Xbox Live first came out. Now it comes into fruition.

Eleazar said:
This will be the first time in gaming history console players will be able to play against/with PC gamers. I wonder what they are going to do about PC hacking. Or maybe xboxers will see how good PC users are with the KM and they will be accused of hacking. Of course I have had PC gamers accuse me of hacking and we were playing on a VAC server. This will bring up a lot of interesting debates I am sure. This feature of Xbox Live has been spoken about since Xbox Live first came out. Now it comes into fruition.

I thought FF11 did it?

Back