Votes: 1 2.3%
  • XB1: No

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Wii U: No

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Have not purchased yet. Still waiting for more/better games/offers

Votes: 8 18.2%

• Total voters
I basically wanted a slicker version of the PS3, and the PS4 pretty much delivered exactly that. As I haven't been particularly enamored with either company's exclusive titles (save for the odd 3rd party exclusive like Dead Rising or MGS4), the lack of system specific games doesn't really bother me either.

I just added the Wii U in the title as well as I am very curious about the post mortem of that console's launch as well.

I am also a bit curious now what are people thinking about the Wii U, 2 years after release. It's like its dead. It gets almost zero mention in the console forum

When I read other forums it seems like there's enough people suggesting Wii U has provided the best gaming experience over the last short while because of Smash Bros, Mario Kart, Bayonetta and a few other titles.

I am also a bit curious now what are people thinking about the Wii U, 2 years after release. It's like its dead.
Which is what it should be for a post mortem! It makes sense to have a project post mortem when the project is finished (come to an end, deceased, shuffled off this mortal coil), but a year 1 / year 2 review probably shouldn't be called as much unless the product is dead.

No, I don't have any of the consoles, and no, I don't have anything meaningful to add to this thread...

When I read other forums it seems like there's enough people suggesting Wii U has provided the best gaming experience over the last short while because of Smash Bros, Mario Kart, Bayonetta and a few other titles.

I'd tend to agree with this. It's been the first thing to pull me away from PC gaming in a long time. I've 100% completed Zelda:WWHD, Super Mario 3D World, New Super Mario Bros U, DKC-Tropical Freeze, NES Remix1/2, and more, most console gaming I've done since 2005 probably. Between PC and WiiU I have no interest in getting a PS4/XBO.

I don’t think you can ever go into a new generation expecting an immediate revolution of games, only now we’re a year into it I can’t help but feel like the generational change has been muted when compared to previous transitions. I’m still a little disappointed that neither Microsoft nor Sony went for some really powerful hardware, I suppose they’re both trying to expand their audience with the additional non-gaming functions. I feel that it’s pretty much a known quantity now that games sell consoles and I expect the next change will bring a greater advances in exactly that - gaming.

It seems to me that these consoles are like a filler generation while we wait for some truly revolutionary change. I wonder whether Sony (and probably Microsoft) will now continue to develop their VR experiences in anticipation of the next-gen. Especially now that we’re already a year into this one. Best not to fracture the market and provide a sub-par experience.

It would be great if these systems don’t last too long and have a max duration of maybe 5 years. PC hardware is already exponentially more powerful, so a five year length can bring about some huge advances in what the hardware will then be capable of.

Having said all of the above, I don’t dislike what we’ve got, there have been plenty of fun games to play. It’s just that the difference between the PS360 and what we have now seems to be purely based around higher resolutions and framerates of what came before. I don’t feel that the CPUs are really capable of providing much else. Prettier graphics, that’s about it.

I love my X1. I feel like it has the potential to become one of the best consoles ever.

I dont like the "VCR" box design, but the controller just takes the imo best in class 360 controller and refines it even more. The OS is, all things considered, kinda great. The ability to minimize the game to a window while it runs and go do other stuff, like change a setting, is awesome. When you get a message and it snaps on the side, and you dash out a quick reply all in game, it's great. For a console UI that must work without a mouse or keyboard, they are doing wonders imo. They're changing it from game as something you are locked into once you start it, to game as just part of a social UI, that you are not locked into. Things like the greatly improved voice chat, the headset is great and the controls genius (the big ol mute button). I think it was a really great move for them to include a real quality headset in every box. People sound great and everybody having a headset, I think both things really foster community.

Oh I say all this having never unboxed my Kinect yet...

I wish it had a little more punch flopwise. But I basically love it. And on the other side of things, the 8GB of RAM is above and beyond what should have been expected, and is a very healthy amount, equaling or above an average desktop. Heck I remember in 2011-12 the prevailing opinion here was next gen would be limited to 2GB due to technical barriers.

In some ways though it's hard for me to separate how much I like Destiny vs how much I like the X1. Because that's already one of my favorite games ever and it's mostly the only thing I've played on X1

Last edited:
I've been pretty content with my PS4. I must admit that I've been happy enough with the mutliplatform games on PS4 so far.

KZ:SF was a bit of a dissappointment for me (was hoping for some of dat KZ2 magic, but its appears that ship has sailed). But I enjoyed AC:BF, InFamous:SS, BF4, Destiny and Shadows of Mordor. I even bought and enjoyed Knack.

I've still got Diablo III, COD:AW and the upcoming games this year to play. I think this pervasive mentality of the PS4 having no games only really applies to the summer, wherein there's always a dearth of content, whether a new games console has just launched or not. The only issue being that due ti it being the first year, the summers usually consist of gamers catching up with the previous falls AAA blockbuster release clusterfcuk. So despite a sparse release schedule for sumemr releases, gamer usually stil have enough to buy and play over those warm, moist summer months. That's not been the case for either console this year, so it's exaggerated the impression that there's "no gaems" available for PS4 (or XB1).

The reality for me, is that Destiny, SOM, COD:AW and Dragon Age:I alone have justified my PS4 purchase. And so I've not missed my PS3 once since trading up to the newer box.

I too disagree with the mentality that XB1 and PS4 dont have games. Both consoles offer a variety of good games and genres to play even though not flawless.

The game selection packs enough to keep people interested and entertained (edit: although not enough to impress as much as previous gen consoles did yet. The next generational leap has not had an impact yet. If someone is looking for that impact he is disappointed. To a degree I am also disappointed).

If you check metacritic they have a lot of games to pick. Of course not all are big games or hits. The list ranges from digital indie games to full fledged game from big publishers. Even some of the remasters if missed are worth visiting (or even revisiting).

There is also some kind of impression being spread that the Wii U is worthwhile now due to a far better selection of games. I consider this an exaggeration. I saw this recent gamespot article that I question: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/wii-u-the-year-two-review/1100-6423304/

Checking the library closer, I fear that this is more of a myth. Signs show a worrying situation for Nintendo.

At Metacritic the PS4 has more games scored 80 and above than the Wii U which is 2 years old. (approx 50 vs 44).

In terms of exclusives this is the image so far (games scoring 80 and above only)

Wii U has 7 exclusive games:
Super Mario World 3D (93)
Legend of Zelda Wind Waker (90)
Bayonetta 2 (91)
Mario Kart (88)
Pikmin 3 (87)
New Super Mario Bros U (84)
Donkey Kong (83)

The PS4 so far has 4 exclusive games:
Last of Us Remastered (95)
Final Fantasy 14 Online (86)
Resogun: Heroes (86)
Infamous: SS (80)
(list increases if we also pick games released on other Playstation platforms that arent necessarily remastered editions)

The XB1 so far has 4 exclusive games:
Halo Master Chief Collection (87)
Forza Horizon 2 (86)
Titanfall (86)
Sunset Overdrive (82)

Now if we extend the list to multiplatform games both the XB1 and the PS4 continue to present a more interesting list of newly released games that are unreleased on the Wii U.

The recent addition of GTA V scoring as high as 96 even though a remaster, is still one hell of an experience that the Wii U is missing badly. It is a masterpiece.

The PS4 and XB1 are more likely to cover the wider needs of most gamers that want to upgrade.

I can admit that some of the Wii U exclusive games are very fun especially Super Mario Bros but the selection of experiences and genres available is still too limited and not up to everyone's tastes to reach out many. 3 of them are platform games, 1 is a GC remaster, Pikmin is a niche, 1 is a kart game, and Bayonetta 2 is the only game that breaks the mold of typical Nintendo style and expands the experience.

It is perfectly understandable to be a superb value for people that consider Nintendo's games must haves in their collection. They are great games. But not so much for the majority that want a bigger variety. Looking at consoles as a long term investment, most people are more likely to consider the PS4 and XB1 as it stands now, as both of these consoles are more likely to cover the wider needs of gamers (more franchises and genres).

The Wii U list is even weaker than the Dreamcast's first 2 years which came with a wider selection of AAA titles that were fun and impressive at the same time. The Wii U's library (to me at least) is probably shaping up to be weaker than the Gamecube's. The PS4 and XB1 dont fare any better compared to the DC's first year either but the healthy sales mean that both of these consoles will eventually see a lot of great titles in the future.

In comparison the DC had these games that defined the console and made it a legend. Most of them were exclusives and released during the first year. DC's launch was one of the most complete and impressive. These are just some of the defining DC games I could think of at the top of my head but there are more:
Soul Calibur
Ecco the Dolphin
Ready to Rumble
Marvel vs Capcom 2
Seaman
Grandia 2
Resident Evil Code Veronica
Phantasy Star Online
Sonic Adventure 1 and 2
Dead or Alive 2
Virtua Fighter 3
Sega Rally 2
Shenmue 1 and 2
Street Fighter 3
Metropolis Street Racer
Jet Grid Radio
Daytona

Apart from the limited Wii U exclusives, there is limited incentive for a current PS3/360/Wii owner to upgrade to a Wii U. I doesnt pack the performance upgrade, the third party support or the simplicity that made the Wii such a success. For an average joe that wants to buy a cheap console for the first time the PS3 and 360 pack a similar performance, a far bigger and better library, at a cheaper price than the Wii U.

Nintendo's library may appear better but the picture would have been better if the current game library represented the first year not the second.

I doubt it will ever become as valuable as the Dreamast years after it was abandoned. Neither the Wii nor the GC became as collectable and yet relied on the same Nintendo franchises that still define the Wii U.

The upcoming Zelda game though is extremely promising artistically, visually and in terms of scope

Last edited:
How can you miss Power Stone?! The first game was amazing.

I have added also a poll now. Multiple votes enabled as some people may own more than 1 console
edit: Oopsy wrote WiiI instead of Wii U on one of the polls but cant edit it

Nintendo's issues with selling Wii U's is definitely not tied to the software available on the console. I have well over a 1000 hours of gaming on my Wii U. Nearly 400 hours of that is actually from COD BO, COD Ghost, and Need For Speed Most Wanted. Surprisingly enough, there is a niche group of gamers within the Wii U usebase that does actually buy games that aren't Nintendo exclusive. We have a strong following over at TNE that have played COD and NFS MW extensively together online. To the point where the small online community for Ghost is irrelevant, we can do private matches. Where the Wii U really excels is with their exclusives, they are good......really good. Not just my opinion, they have multiple games that have a metacritic score above 90.

Mario 3D World does an amazing job of recreating the 2D Mario experience in a 3D world. Mario had been in 3D for a long time, but the 3D Mario games always felt far different than the 2D Mario experience; Mario 3D World meshes them together flawlessly. Pikmin 3 is my biggest surprise so far, I never played Pikmin games before, and for me, its a game like no other, and Nintendo crafted a game that really doesn't have a substitute. There are platformers on other platforms, Kart racing games, but I have never seen another game quite like Pikmin. Bayonetta 1+2 is ridiculous, in a good way of course. It definitely seems out of place when you look at the other exclusives on the console, but if your an adult Nintendo gamer who isn't easily offended, then Bayonetta deserves your attention. Even though Zombi U didn't received high review scores, its one of the few games that truly utilize the gamepad in a way that makes the game better because of it. If your into "real" survivor horror games, then Zombi U is a delight.

So for me, my Wii U has been incredible so far. As a working adult, I don't have countless hours to play games, so for me, even being a Wii U only guy, there is more content that I want to play than I can manage. Generally speaking, once someone actually makes the purchase, the response has been overwhelmingly positive. The majority of people who criticize the console likely haven't played it or given it a fair chance. The list of great games is impressive.

Even when you look at third party games, although going forward multi plat third party games will be skipping the Wii U, but there are already a plethora of third party games on the a platform. You can buy games like COD BO2 and Ghost, Assassins Creed 3 and 4, Batman AC and Origins, Mass Effect 3 (a phenomenal port), and Need For Speed MW for $10-20 brand new on Amazon. If you haven't played those games before, then buying Nintendo's hardware for the exclusive content comes with a huge bonus of having the last few years worth of AAA 360/PS3 titles on the platform for very cheap.

If I were to buy another console, it would probably be Wii U, because it has games that provide a vastly different experience than what I have on Xbox One. I feel like between Xbox One and PS4, most of the best games are multiplatform that are available for both, and what I'd get buying a PS4 would be limited. The same would be true if I had a PS4 and I was buying Xbox One. Wii U is kind of a different experience that could complement one of the other consoles better. I think all three have a lot to offer, depending on what you're looking for.

Nintendo's issues with selling Wii U's is definitely not tied to the software available on the console. I have well over a 1000 hours of gaming on my Wii U.
You're probably the only person in the entire universe making that claim, my friend. :) Everybody else is quite decidedly observing that Nintendo's problems are very much connected to a severe dearth of software, and Nintendo apologizes for the fact in every quarterly report and also even in their Nintendo Directs. The drought affects both in-house, and even more so, third-party releases - majority of sales on any other console platform is not first-party titles but third party; such severe lack of third-party games on Wuu makes Nintendo's own extremely slow release schedule even more crippling.

You're probably the only person in the entire universe making that claim, my friend. :) Everybody else is quite decidedly observing that Nintendo's problems are very much connected to a severe dearth of software, and Nintendo apologizes for the fact in every quarterly report and also even in their Nintendo Directs. The drought affects both in-house, and even more so, third-party releases - majority of sales on any other console platform is not first-party titles but third party; such severe lack of third-party games on Wuu makes Nintendo's own extremely slow release schedule even more crippling.

I didnt make myself clear, their problems selling Wii U's does not stem from the console not having great games on it. When you look at the number of quality titles on the platform, its pretty extensive. Im of the opinion that if Wii U were $149 it would be selling a lot better. And before you say "no shit", then remember that the price didnt change the software in the slightest. The same droughts and lack of third party support would still exist, so if sales were to drastically increase with a price drop, then price of hardware is the bigger issue. Wii U and Dreamcast share a lot in common with their software lineups, really strong exclusives, but a lack of support from some of the bigger third party publishers.

I'm somewhat interested in the Wii U, but I need to see the premium model + 1 good game for €199 before I'm willing to get it. I think Mario Kart alone would be pretty sweet to have.

Im of the opinion that if Wii U were $149 it would be selling a lot better. And before you say "no shit", then remember that the price didnt change the software in the slightest.
What would happen to PS4 and XB1 if the software stayed the same and the price dropped to $150?

What would happen to PS4 and XB1 if the software stayed the same and the price dropped to $150?

Sales would go up. Cost of entry is the biggest hurdle. Now that threshold is different for every product. For PS4, the $399 price point was deemed acceptable to a large group of consumers. Apparently the $299 price is still to high for the majority of consumers.

I own two consoles. PS4 and WiiU.

With the PS4, I'm pretty satisfied. It's my Netflix and BF4 box. I hadn't bought a PS4 game between BF4 last year and COD this year, but I've had plenty fun with it. I'm messed around with the PS+ games, but most of the are "meh" or I've already played them on PC. I'm really looking forward to next years lineup, however, there really hasn't been anything that makes glad I bought it over an X1. If I had kept the X1 pre-order instead, I'd probably be just as happy with it. Back to the PS4, the only things I don't like about it are that it's noisy and the build quality of the controller.

The WiiU has been pretty disappointing, IMO. I bought a refurb for $200. I've picked up SMW3D and Zelda. Both good games, but I find the hardware and gamepad awful. I'm left thinking that I wish I could play my Nintendo games on my PS4 and not have an additional box. Lack of software for the WiiU is pretty disappointing. I'm only waiting for Zelda at this point (maybe X).

Back