Laptop hdd having a cry - MBR/ Partition table bad?

Sobek

Locally Operating
Veteran
Hey guys...

A while back (probably almost 2 years now) a friend of mine was given a laptop that someone didn't want anymore, which had a 40gb 5400rpm Travelstar in it. The laptop was working fine, but this 'friend' went and tried to reinstall Windows XP at one stage and really borked it... From what I can recall he ended up in the recovery console at one stage, ran some command, and fubar'd the drive. He mailed it to me shortly after since he couldn't repair what he'd done, though I never really did even try it out.

After doing some cleaning the other day I found it again and decided to hook it up and see how it went. Upon plugging it in (via a 2.5" USB caddy) it's detected and installed along with the caddy, and everything appears fine. However, the drive doesn't show up in My Computer (naturally) and attempting to fire up PartitionMagic with it plugged in spews out the error "Init error 100 : Partition table bad". With it unplugged, PM fires up fine. I also tried running PM's Ptedit.exe (think that's the correct name) to try and manually edit the partition table and enter the correct Cyl's, Bytes and so on..but as soon as PTedit loads, it says something like 'Boot table bad' (sorry not at home, hard to get the exact message, but that should be it). I can still see the drive in Ptedit, and the size is correct (37,868mb), but everything I try and do fails. If I select it in the list, I get the boot table error. If I try and enter in the cyls and so on, boot table error. If I end up entering them all and trying to apply it, I get a neverending stream of "X number must be above/below X amount" even when the numbers are totally correct.

So what do you guys think? There has to be SOME way of fixing this fricken thing...a 40gb 5400rpm laptop drive would be pretty damn nice to have (replace my old 20gb 4200rpm). The drive itself appears fine, it's in perfect condition and makes no erroneous noises or clicks.

I'm going to try (for the sake of it) installing it into a spare laptop at home and seeing if I can do anything from the Recovery Console (if it'll even let me get that far, what with always wanting to log into a partition or such). But can anyone think of anything else I could try? :???:

Thanks!

Awesome, will do (fast reply :p ). Considering this drive is hooked up via a USB caddy, will this program still be able to access it? Or should I just do this once i've installed the drive into a laptop?

Also, it shouldn't have any problems detecting/manipulating the drive? (considering nothing else so far has been able to). Looks promising, see how it goes :smile:

Good question. I'm not sure whether it works over USB (probably not). I have used it to restore IBM/Hitachi disks, showing similar FUBARed symptoms to yours, back to working order, though.

No guarantees, but from your description of the error and how the fault occurred, I believe you have a good chance of getting it back. Unless, of course, the fault was caused by extensive physical damage in the first place. But even so, the DFT can reallocate a certain amount of sectors (around 3% i believe) using redundancy without loosing nominal disk space (although I probably wouldn't trust a drive with lots of such errors for anything but temporary storage).

I even had a IBM 75GXP 'Deathstar' that worked fine for years until it was thrown out after the first 'fatal' click-click-crash (couldn't be bothered sending it back). Another success was with a 40GB Travelstar that had been subjected to a round of ill-advised tinkering with some third party partitioning software by a friend of mine (wipe needed to be able to repartition it properly).

Ah...sigh. Looks like it's a locked hdd.

I installed it into the laptop, and straight after the POST screen I get a lovely lock symbol at the upper left corner of the screen, and the query "Please enter hdd master password". It gives me 3 tries and locks everything up.

Pathetic...why must people protect data :rolleyes: I'm guessing there's no cheap way around such protection? Guess i've got myself a 40gb, 5400rpm drink coaster. :devilish:

*edit* Ugh...trying to find any information on unlocking these particular drives in any laptop is beyond impossible even for Google. I can't accept that this pretty darn good (compared to every other laptop drive i've got) hdd is just going to waste and can't be fixed. Thing is there's no way i'm sending it to a data recovery center in the event it's got anything on it that shouldn't be there...then I cop the sh*t. Argh! :mad:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah...sigh. Looks like it's a locked hdd.

I installed it into the laptop, and straight after the POST screen I get a lovely lock symbol at the upper left corner of the screen, and the query "Please enter hdd master password". It gives me 3 tries and locks everything up.

Pathetic...why must people protect data :rolleyes: I'm guessing there's no cheap way around such protection? Guess i've got myself a 40gb, 5400rpm drink coaster. :devilish:

*edit* Ugh...trying to find any information on unlocking these particular drives in any laptop is beyond impossible even for Google. I can't accept that this pretty darn good (compared to every other laptop drive i've got) hdd is just going to waste and can't be fixed. Thing is there's no way i'm sending it to a data recovery center in the event it's got anything on it that shouldn't be there...then I cop the sh*t. Argh! :mad:

Some drives come with the master password set to one space. You can give that a try.

Also, if you enter the BIOS before you hook up the drive and set the notebook to boot first from CD; you might be able to wipe the drive regardless.

Some drives come with the master password set to one space. You can give that a try.

Ahaha, I tried every pass under the sun that I could find, including 32 spaces, but I didn't even consider just one space. I'll try that when I return home later.

Also, if you enter the BIOS before you hook up the drive and set the notebook to boot first from CD; you might be able to wipe the drive regardless.

Hmm, not sure exactly what you're suggesting. I can enter the BIOS happily with the drive hooked up as it is, and I can set the system to boot from the CD, that's no problem. Or do you suggest leaving the drive unplugged, booting off the XP CD, and then plugging the drive in while the system is running, after setup has initiated but before it does the hdd detection? Yeah I know, that's not exactly the best idea what with voltages going 'round, but I have actually done that once before on a system that refused to launch setup while the hdd was plugged in, and it worked :p

:???:

Are you suggesting a low-level format? I don't see how...the drive is installed but inaccessible if I use a USB caddy, and with the master password in place I doubt even the official toolset is going to be able to bypass that. Though if what I think Zaphod is suggest is what he's suggesting, then perhaps I can get access to the utilities off that boot disk via the recovery console or such.

*edit* Ahh, also just noticed the official tools explicitly state they wont function with drives in removable caddies. Guess that leaves me with somehow forcing my way into Recovery Console / Windows Setup in an attempt to gain some sort of access.

I can enter the BIOS happily with the drive hooked up as it is, and I can set the system to boot from the CD, that's no problem.
No, I was suggesting that setting CD first in the boot order (and removing the HD from it) might allow you to boot a CD and wipe the drive without triggering whatever (boot sector?) protection is on the HD. From your post, though, apparently not. Hotswapping IDE drives isn't likely to work and might damage the notebook (I wouldn't).

Last edited by a moderator:
Hahah, sadly I allready tried disabling the hdd in the boot order before, but no go. The most I can do is adjust it's priority in the load order, but there's just no option to disable it. This is also unfortunately the only laptop I have spare that still works, so i'm bummed out there.

You're not going to do ANYTHING with the drive without unlocking it. The drive will only respond to the ATA commands to unlock the drive, and after 3 tries, the drive just goes silent. Until you unlock the drive, it will just ignore any commands to read or write to the drive.

Earlier googling suggested the same, can't hurt to hope though :p

What do you think about Atapwd? I know it wasn't intended for IBM drives, but it was suggested as a possible fix for some.

Earlier googling suggested the same, can't hurt to hope though :p

What do you think about Atapwd? I know it wasn't intended for IBM drives, but it was suggested as a possible fix for some.

Anything's worth trying now! You could probably have a working laptop with a new drive too.

Have you tried to put on a Raid card and run low level format from in the raid cards BIOS?

The ATA controller on the drive is what's locked. There is no way to read from or write to the drive without hacking the firmware on the controller board.

It's possible, but by the time you get done doing that, you can probably buy a whole stack of replacement drives.

Back