Knack [PS4]

• Thread starter Deleted member 7537
  • Start date
There is quite a bit of extra gameplay in the conference show compared to the trailer alone. It may give a better impression of what to expect in gameplay and out.

Most of it is on the remote play on the Vita screen though, so it isn't the greatest quality.

I was so happy that Cerny mentioned that he wants to bring back games from the first PlayStation in his speech... That made me so impressed, I won't lie I have a huge bias and desire to return to that kind of simple and open landscape plat former a large Spyro...

Never mind! I am beaten, TEEDA has already posted said gameplay and in HD no less :)

Now that Bungie is multiplatform maybe Sony will stop throwing its money at Halo killers and put some money into quirky Japanese platformers. I remember when Sony used to feature exclusives like Klonoa 2 back in the PS2 era.

Oh absolutely...

I really felt like cheering when Cerny said he misses the games on original PlayStation...

Klonoa is a series I just introduced myself to this month actually... It does things Mario hasn't ever with 2D side scrolling! I can't believe a series like to that must be so spurned by gamers like Ray man was too at the time.

I hope the makers of Klonoa see the success of Ray man Origins and bring Klonoa back.

So Killzone Shadow Fall replaces Resistance as the launch day FPS, and now Sony is making another Ratchet and Clank. Where does that leave Insomniac?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-02-20-playstation-4-action-platformer-knack-revealed

Using Unreal Engine 4, Knack will star a little robot orc-looking thing that can sometimes turn into a hulking giant that looks a bit like Zelda antagonist Ganondorf if he were made out of building blocks.

This seems a bit weird, a Sony first party not using their own engine. What could be the reasoning behind this? Are they helping Epic optimise the Unreal Engine 4 for PS4?

So Killzone Shadow Fall replaces Resistance as the launch day FPS, and now Sony is making another Ratchet and Clank. Where does that leave Insomniac?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-02-20-playstation-4-action-platformer-knack-revealed

This seems a bit weird, a Sony first party not using their own engine. What could be the reasoning behind this? Are they helping Epic optimise the Unreal Engine 4 for PS4?

My take is that it seems they may agree with me, that having a first party launch title with the Unreal Engine is going to make sure the engine that is likely to be used for many games on your platform will perform well on your hardware. I have always felt that having Epic do Gears of War for them has helped Microsoft by getting and/or keeping Unreal Engine 3 running better on Microsoft's platform.

Insomniac has become increasingly shite over the latest years. Compare the latest Rachet&Clang against "A Crack in Time" for proof.

Insomniac has become increasingly shite over the latest years. Compare the latest Rachet&Clang against "A Crack in Time" for proof.

That's why I'm wondering if Sony still wants Insomniac to make exclusive games for them. There aren't going to be any new Resistance games, I think we have quite enough good Ratchet and Clank games, and Knack may be good substitute. I wouldn't surprise me if Sony won't have Insomniac make exclusive games for them anymore.

Maybe after Insomniac's publishing deals with EA are relieved, Sony and Insomniac may get back to working together.

I would like to see that. I feel like Insomniac is a little lost right now though...

At least they are giving the job to the proven developer who was heavily involved in the creation of some of the most beloved platforming/action games in gaming history [Sonic 2, Crash Bandicoot, Spyro, Ratchet&Clank, Jax and Daxter].

It'd be nice if knack can be a revitalization of that old character driven action/adventure/platformer type games that used to be common in 90s gaming. It has that charm about it, but without more gameplay it's hard to say if it'll play/feel that way.

Also, regarding insomniac, personally, I would rather see them move on to something new. I wouldn't mind seeing them revive monster knight for the vita, that feels like a good fit to me. The two touch pads could allow for a lot of unique puzzles and use of monsters.

It'd be nice if knack can be a revitalization of that old character driven action/adventure/platformer type games that used to be common in 90s gaming. It has that charm about it, but without more gameplay it's hard to say if it'll play/feel that way.

Also, regarding insomniac, personally, I would rather see them move on to something new. I wouldn't mind seeing them revive monster knight for the vita, that feels like a good fit to me. The two touch pads could allow for a lot of unique puzzles and use of monsters.

Cerny said that's exactly what he wants to bring back to gaming. I also really hope he achieves that with Knack. Other than on Nintendo consoles, we've really been missing that sort of silly and rambunctious flair only a cartoon character can pull off. So yea, I really hope that not only is the intention, but they achieve it as well. Something about the character design and animation tells me they are on the right track with developing an engaging storybook/Pixar movie setting also which is really fitting for this type of game.

I don't know about you guys...but I love Insomniac games...pretty much all of them have a certain good feel to them. My favorite is easily Resistance 3...which was exceptionally well made imo. I hope that they still have a chance to work/focus on exclusive titles...either for ps or xbox.

Knack sometimes looked cool, some things remember me of Kameo which is good as well. The art style was not my cup of tea yet.

Yap, I love R1 and 3. Also like R&C. Kinda miss the Insomniac folks a little since a few used to join our R1 clan games.

I hope Knack also demonstrates new mechanics in the social gaming realm for gamers at large. It would give nextgen gaming more depth. It seems that Mark Cerny believe SP games will be gone in 3 years. I'd love to see the exact online mechanics that displace SP experience.

Crash of the Clans have clan castle to help in attack and defense, Demon's Souls have anonymous friends, foes and human boss. They added more fun to gaming than just compute and rendering. A simple game like Draw Something is interesting too.

Back