Kinect price confirmed 150USD plus arcade model priced

short version: when my kid comes in the FOV of Kinect I want parental controls to kick in automatically and only for when he is in frame.

Yeah, I can see that being a nice feature. Right now we haven't heard one thing from Microsoft detailing how it handles multiple users playing the same game & the same time. Will it require each participant to setup their profile beforehand so that when they do jump into the game they're automatically recognized? What happens if somebody jumps into the game that doesn't have a profile or has never played on the Xbox? How does it handle achievements for those users? Are they unlocked for the master profiled that's logged in? Or do they even unlock at all? I can see those same questions doubling when you start to think about child profiles. Could kids get around the parental controls by not being logged in at all? Does raise all kind of questions. Hopefully Microsoft has a good system in place that makes it easy & seamless.

Tommy McClain

Ok, so after looking at gamestop and amazon for a couple days now. I think Kinect Sports is going to surprise a lot of people come December (November NPD) assuming a number is leaked. I may have been extremely bullish on Dance Central (or maybe not) but putting numbers aside it looks like Sports may actually do equal to or better than Dance Central which actually would be a HUGE win for MSFT and something I don't think many would have expected. As for me...I spend probably the first five minutes in Sports just amping up the crowd :oops:

Ok, so after looking at gamestop and amazon for a couple days now. I think Kinect Sports is going to surprise a lot of people come December (November NPD) assuming a number is leaked. I may have been extremely bullish on Dance Central (or maybe not) but putting numbers aside it looks like Sports may actually do equal to or better than Dance Central which actually would be a HUGE win for MSFT and something I don't think many would have expected. As for me...I spend probably the first five minutes in Sports just amping up the crowd :oops:

Shouldn't be a surprise though - Sports (mini)games have a much wider appeal than Dancing games will ever have. And with Wii Sports and now for Move Sports Champions being the biggest motion titles, 360 owners who don't own either or like this enough to want a Kinect variation of it, are going to see this and want it.

Shouldn't be a surprise though - Sports (mini)games have a much wider appeal than Dancing games will ever have. And with Wii Sports and now for Move Sports Champions being the biggest motion titles, 360 owners who don't own either or like this enough to want a Kinect variation of it, are going to see this and want it.

In the US, however, this was a separate purchase whereas Wii Sports and Sports Champions were the pack-ins.

After looking at the NPD numbers and seeing how well the Wii did and how its numbers seem to be stable from last year, now I'm thinking they still have a very good holiday regardless of price movement. I think if somehow Microsoft can market or co-market Dance Central and Xbox Live DLC as a reason to pay more for the 360 Kinect Bundle vs the Wii and Just Dance 1 / 2, I think they could match Wii holiday numbers.

Wii is down 50k YoY for the week of black friday previously they did 600k but this points to them still having an excellent holiday sales season.
Kinect has sold-through over 2.5M in 25 days.

I still think the 360 and Wii are going to be pretty close.

If not for Kinect, I would still expect the Wii to handily outsell the X360 during the Holiday season. With Kinect seeming to be having incredible word of mouth (even 250 gig bundles are selling out at markup prices over 500 USD), I'm not so sure of that anymore.

Regards,
SB

well kinect moved 2.5m in 25 days. So it seems to be having a large impact on things. Also for black friday the wii had alot of bundles. Some people got free games and $50 gift cards and some people got it free with a new hd tv

Gotta love that. :LOL:

"in the market for a new HDTV? How about we throw in a standard def cable package, vhs player and a Wii" :p

Considering that both HD consoles ship with SD cables I'm not sure it is all that funny. Not to mention that MSFT had to slap a big sticker on their HD cable and make a video about selecting HDTV on said cable.

Considering that both HD consoles ship with SD cables I'm not sure it is all that funny. Not to mention that MSFT had to slap a big sticker on their HD cable and make a video about selecting HDTV on said cable.

Cables is a bit of a stretch from the entire device ecosystem being sdtv.

Granted, your point is mostly directed at the incompetence of the typical consumer, but still I think it's funny packing a non-hd device with a hdtv at this point. Especially considering the cost. Such a "pack in" would have to be rather expensive and thus a HDTV of decent size. All the more reason to avoid non-hd content. Especially the pixelated mess that is the Wii at this point (sans stellar 2d triumphs such as Donkey Kong and Kirby).

Cables is a bit of a stretch from the entire device ecosystem being sdtv.

Granted, your point is mostly directed at the incompetence of the typical consumer, but still I think it's funny packing a non-hd device with a hdtv at this point. Especially considering the cost. Such a "pack in" would have to be rather expensive and thus a HDTV of decent size. All the more reason to avoid non-hd content. Especially the pixelated mess that is the Wii at this point (sans stellar 2d triumphs such as Donkey Kong and Kirby).

The thing is though, aside from just ignorance, a large number of people have shown they simply don't care. It's still selling very well in the market and given the uptake of HDTV's a lot of people are buying them to use on HDTVs.

The thing is though, aside from just ignorance, a large number of people have shown they simply don't care. It's still selling very well in the market and given the uptake of HDTV's a lot of people are buying them to use on HDTVs.

Agreed. Especially considering that the majority of the content being consumed on these devices are still in SD, I don't see a problem or anything comical about Wiis being bundled with them. HDTVs provide both SD and HD resolution, they are an all in one solution and that why they are so ubitiquous.

Exactly. If you want HD movies and TV, and also Wii style gaming, there was no other choice. It'll be interesting if bundling policies change with PS360 or not.

Wow.

Ok, I guess I'm the only one that found that even slightly funny. I could've sworn I was at Beyond3d. The same place that counts pixels and analyzes every minute graphic detail and effect. :???:

Apologies I guess.

The 360 came with component and composite cables. It was only the ps3 that came with composite cables

The 360 came with component and composite cables. It was only the ps3 that came with composite cables
That was true for a while provided you didn't buy the arcade model, but they stopped giving out component cables when they cut the elite price down to $299.

The Elites came with HDMI cables & audio dongles too. They stopped giving out those when they dropped the price too.

Tommy McClain

Sony also seems to think HDTVs go fine with prev-gen gaming, as they are selling now a 22" "HD Ready" (meaning at least 1280x720, most often 1366x768) with a built-in PS2.

Thats really stupid , i pay $3 per 6 foot hdmi cable. Why can't they simply include teh cable with the system. I know my 250 gig xbox s had a hdmi cable.

Back