KILLZONE Shadow Fall [PS4]

Yes they look like plastic dolls, but that doesn't mean they look any less detailed than any other game. in fact they are well above the rest.

They aren't as detailed, period. I also thing they're quite mediocre and very far behind truly outstanding character artwork like what we see from Naughty Dog.

Crysis 2 used tessellation for all characters,

Unfortunately it hasn't.

Other strong examples include Metro, Call Of Duty Ghosts and Hitman Absolution.

Ghosts is another good example of the doing very, very little on its own, without displacement mapping. I think they only use it on faces and the first person weapon's certain parts (like scopes on sniper rifles).
I also don't believe Hitman has any tessellation either

Apparently Hitman has a PC patch that enables the tech; the console versions which I've seen had none of it. Still, it only serves to illustrate my previous points: without displacement mapping, it adds no detail and only creates unrealistic, artificially smooth shapes. It's quite easy to model a much better looking character head with far less polygons, no tessellation at all.

Not that the Hitman character's face is any good looking in any way though, I still don't understand what IO was thinking...

Crysis 2 doesn't use tesselation on characters at all. I did play that game to completion with that setting enabled, and as per usual, it fixed a lot of things that never needed fixing in the first place. Mostly It just wastes polys.
Heck, even Crytek's principal R&D Graphics Programmer Tiago Sousa admitted the tesselation implementation in the 1.9 patch was a face-palm worthy hack job. (he actually did use the term face-palm)

Here's a nice example of Crysis 2's pointless use of tesselation:

http://www.hardware.fr/medias/photos_news/00/32/IMG0032909_1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually I take back what I said about Crysis 2 character tessellation, I thought I saw that before but I launched the game and checked back and it is not there. sorry for that. deeply sorry.

Actually that was the single article which contributed to spreading misinformation about the use of tessellation in Crysis 2.

The point of the always present tessellated water is not an incompetence on the developer's part, but rather the nature of the graphics engine itself. since the days of CryEngine 1(Far Cry), water was always present beneath the geometry. that was also true with the first Crysis (CryEngine 2) and even the Dunia engine (a spin off from the CryEngine) with both Far Cry 2 and 3.

And I won't even comment on their criticism regarding concrete and wooden pieces. When you have the whole game practically using tessellation all over the place. then picking on some objects sounds silly and overblown.

Just finished the game. Overall: great. Gameplay is superb, graphics as well (except some humans) and ending was quite unexpected.

Nice!!

Just finished the game. Overall: great. Gameplay is superb, graphics as well (except some humans) and ending was quite unexpected.

Nice!!

I thoroughly enjoyed it too. Apart from the free fall sections which were a little frustrating at times. IMO it didn't feel like a Killzone game though, not in the same vein as the first three.

I thoroughly enjoyed it too. Apart from the free fall sections which were a little frustrating at times. IMO it didn't feel like a Killzone game though, not in the same vein as the first three.

I think they patched that a while ago, though I finished it before the patch. Are the new MP maps free? The DLC on the store did not imply any maps.

I think they patched that a while ago, though I finished it before the patch. Are the new MP maps free? The DLC on the store did not imply any maps.

Yeah, maps are free but specific voice packs etc are paid.
As for the game, yes, it was bogged by internet negativity but in itself it was a super fun, super interesting game. Loved it !

On sad side of things, a friend just got a ps4 so bought KZSF immediately as He had heard about the fab MP and turns out the MP is dead already :( ! Is it true? The only games he can find is TDMs when the fun is actually in warzones and they are completely empty according to him.

Yeah, maps are free but specific voice packs etc are paid.
As for the game, yes, it was bogged by internet negativity but in itself it was a super fun, super interesting game. Loved it !

On sad side of things, a friend just got a ps4 so bought KZSF immediately as He had heard about the fab MP and turns out the MP is dead already :( ! Is it true? The only games he can find is TDMs when the fun is actually in warzones and they are completely empty according to him.
I only tried KZSF MP a couple times, probably well over a month ago.

Population was very low, with some totally empty playlists.

You can call the visible response to KZSF "internet negativity" if you want, but the reality is that the game had a very flat general reception. Not a whole lot of staying power for most people.

I'm sad that it didn't receive enough attention. They are doing things like free DLC maps which should be commended.

GG never realized why KZ2 MP was so good, they didn't understand their own game and community imo. KZ3 and KZSF MP are non special and uninteresting and hardly distinguishable to other not so successful MP FPS games.

Same goes btw for Insomniac with Resistance.

I recently started playing the game and in the first mission i am already lost. The way it tells the history is similar to KZ Mercenaries, seems low budget. The worst thing so far is the lighting, makes the world less Killzonish and more colourful but in a unrealistic way. It reminds me of Haze...It doesn´t make it any favour i started playing it after completing Infamous SS, such a great engine...

I recently started playing the game and in the first mission i am already lost. The way it tells the history is similar to KZ Mercenaries, seems low budget. The worst thing so far is the lighting, makes the world less Killzonish and more colourful but in a unrealistic way. It reminds me of Haze...It doesn´t make it any favour i started playing it after completing Infamous SS, such a great engine...

Wow that's quite a different view from everyone else. Still haven't gotten around to play this...

It's not so bad, you just have to get used to it. Give the game a bit more time. I haven't played that much yet myself, but after having getting used to it (like you) I liked the big environments and freedom to move around in them. Just follow the queues and use your brain, and know that there is a mission marker and there are often different routes available and a lot of freedom (including just running by some of the encounters).

I agree that not everything in that first level looks great, especially the plants I thought were weak. But there's a lot of really good stuff in there and it gets really impressive looking at times.

Back