Killzone review (IGN)

Alstrong said:
Snappy said:
I wonder if IGN will bring up Halo 2's LOD, AI and screen tearing problems in it's review? :LOL:

The aggressive LOD has always been there since they showed the E3 2003 demo...

You have the leak?

Nope.

I played the final UK/PAL retail version that will ship out across the UK on November 11th. :)

I played the final UK/PAL retail version that will ship out across the UK on November 11th. :)

So nice last gen graphics?

From what i have seen it seems a bit "meh"... dunno about the actual game... yet :)

A minor step up on Halo I'd say ;) better textures and character models but in some places it has pop up (cutscenes and gameplay). And it also has screen tearing in some of the outdoor levels.

Riddick trounces it graphically, and it may also top it gameplay wise. :D

Snappy said:
A minor step up on Halo I'd say ;) better textures and character models but in some places it has pop up (cutscenes and gameplay). And it also has screen tearing in some of the outdoor levels.

Riddick trounces it graphically, and it may also top it gameplay wise. :D

Hm... well, I suppose I didn't really expect anything groundbreaking besides using the tech built in Halo more effectively(after we all found out that stencil shadows weren't being used). The self shadowing is nice...is it still in there? I thought I recall a screenshot with an elite walking down a dark hallway with self-shadows (it wasn't stencil).

unfortunately it seems as if almost ALL shadowing has been stripped from the game. in many scenes, not even simple projected shadows exist (1 light source). for a game hyped on it's amazing shadowing tech, i think this is a bit dissapointing. try comparing the e3 2002 video to release build gameplay videos. disturbing :(

The 1up preview (some spoilers I think, I didn't read it all) says that they were shown a non final copy. *shrug*

pakotlar said:
unfortunately it seems as if almost ALL shadowing has been stripped from the game. in many scenes, not even simple projected shadows exist (1 light source). for a game hyped on it's amazing shadowing tech, i think this is a bit dissapointing. try comparing the e3 2002 video to release build gameplay videos. disturbing :(
Are we talking about Killzone or Halo2 ????

The moment i saw first videos, i had great doubts about the game. Im still in distress over the amount of internet hype, hopes and heated arguement this seemingly average title recieved over the years.

So much have been said about supposedly Halo killing, simulation based AI, 60fps, 32layer textures, 200k polygon guns, large streaming world, fluid 1st person animations, placeholder AI, beta demo ...yet none of those ever convinced me otherwise from what my eyes tell me. Talk about overblown and all for nothing.

SCEE needs to prepare a detailed explanation report to Kutaragi soon, who is Guerilla again? :LOL:

SCEE and Guerrilla Sign Exclusive Development and Publishing Agreement.
Sony signs deal with creator of the highly-anticipated Killzone game for PS2.
Posted by Sean Foster on 3/22/2004 1:43:42 PM - News -

Sony Computer Entertainment Europe (SCEE) and Guerrilla are delighted to announce the signing of a deal that will see Guerrilla, creator of the highly-anticipated Killzone game for PS2, develop games exclusively for SCEE and Sony platforms from now on.

As one of Europe's hottest development Studios, Guerrilla is currently working towards an October release of the stunning war-based action game, Killzone. Exclusive to PlayStation 2, Killzone has been voted as one of the must have titles of 2004 by leading publications across Europe and the US. The broad-based exclusivity deal will see the Killzone franchise expand alongside creation of further original products.

"This strategic alliance with one of Europe's hottest new creative and technical talents shows our determination to only work with the best, whether they are our in-house or not. Killzone not only is a very important title for us but is also a great example of what can be done when a publisher and a developer partner closely together on a project. The results shout for themselves and I am delighted that our production and creative teams can work even more closely with Guerrilla going forward."

Phil Harrison, Executive Vice President, Development.

Under terms of the deal, Guerrilla will not only continue to work on Killzone for the PlayStation 2, but will take their knowledge and expertise to begin development on several new titles on future Sony platforms.

"We have enjoyed an excellent working relationship with SCEE throughout the development of Killzone and are extremely pleased to be extending this partnership. We are looking forward to working exclusively with SCEE, applying our talent and technology to new platforms in order to establish Guerrilla as one of the finest development studios in Europe."

Hermen Hulst, Managing Director of Guerrilla

Killzone will be wowing the crowds in May where it will be unveiled publicly for the first time at the E3 exhibition at the Los Angeles Convention Centre. For further information on Sony Computer Entertainment Europe please go to http://www.playstation.com or http://www.scee.com.

The game may still sell well thanks to the hype, but i dont see it running for any awards.

I saw killzone at E3, and played a demo of it just a month or so ago, and it sounds like this final review build (which IGN is declaring it is) is practically not the same game! From the reviews at GameSpot, IGN and now Yahoo (a 6/10..ouch), it looks like Guerilla and SCEA shipped something long before it was ready. Dang, I was looking forward to this as a solid FPS on the PS2. Guess it's back to playing Red Faction and SOCOM II.

meh. I lost interest upon hearing its lousy 30 fps effort. There simply should be no substitute for a 60fps gameplay experience.

*goes and playes some TimeSplitters 2. :devilish:

Given the close release of KZ and H2, I question if KZ was pushed out the door way before it was ready?

Did this backfired on Sony this time... does it make H2 look even better compared to the PS2 offering?

Or was KZ always going to be an average FPS?

Phil said:
meh. I lost interest upon hearing its lousy 30 fps effort. There simply should be no substitute for a 60fps gameplay experience.

*goes and playes some TimeSplitters 2. :devilish:
Uh...looking at TimeSplitters2, it's no wonder it runs at 60fps. If you won't accept an FPS that doesn't have a framerate of 60, you're not going to be too happy with most console FPS's, and modern FPS's on PC's that aren't run on high-end rigs.

Judging from the videos and reviews, if Killzone had a consistent framerate of 30, that would be a bonus. It's the dips below where it really starts to be a problem.

Back