Kameo SDTV vs HDTV comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.
HappyBread said:
Why are they poor? They showcase the gfx fidelity that awaits owners who hook up their system to their 14-32" SDTV in their bedroom.

well i guess you agree that for sd owners the best system is the nintendo rev .

You must also agree completely with nintendo on how hd isn't needed

And you most certianly must agree that poor sdtv users that buy a ps3 are going to be in for the same disapointment in graphical fidelity .

ALl interesting if u ask me

kyleb said:
Hardly, those shots have some nasty compression artfacts in them.
kyleb trust me the game looks great at 480p (can't speak on 480i )

Of course the 720p version looks much better

And you most certianly must agree that poor sdtv users that buy a ps3 are going to be in for the same disapointment in graphical fidelity
That depends - last I remember Sony didn't mandate HDTV resolutions, so a game could potentially be designed for SDTV.
Obviously while results would then please SDTV owners, you'd get the other people screaming bloody murder about it though, so the question is really just which crowd you think is more/less important to keep happy. :p

Fafalada said:
That depends - last I remember Sony didn't mandate HDTV resolutions, so a game could potentially be designed for SDTV.
Obviously while results would then please SDTV owners, you'd get the other people screaming bloody murder about it though, so the question is really just which crowd you think is more/less important to keep happy. :p

Well what we've seen of ps3 games are all in 1080p the likes of the hs video they showed and mgs 4 .

So imagine how much gfx fidelity they must loose going all the way down to 480i

(Fal if you didnt notice i was making a point about his trolling and how its not really needed , esp since he made the same post in two diffrent threads )

jvd said:
So imagine how much gfx fidelity they must loose going all the way down to 480i
Well, some people (devs included) feel that the whole HD approach at this point may be rushed - and fact is you get a LOT more shader resources to play with at 480P then 720P (let alone 1080P).
In other words, there's potential to improve the gfx fidelity in SDTV - while you do sacrifice image sharpness. Not that there's an easy, or even a conclusive answer as to whether one sacrifice is better then the other.

(Fal if you didnt notice i was making a point about his trolling and how its not really needed , esp since he made the same post in two diffrent threads )
Yeah, sorry didn't really read his other posts, anyway I thought the SDTV targetting is a valid point that can be raised regardless.

Well, some people (devs included) feel that the whole HD approach at this point may be rushed - and fact is you get a LOT more shader resources to play with at 480P then 720P (let alone 1080P).
In other words, there's potential to improve the gfx fidelity in SDTV - while you do sacrifice image sharpness. Not that there's an easy, or even a conclusive answer as to whether one sacrifice is better then the other.

I agree with you there. I've said it before with regards to the rev. It can be less powerfull but actually end up having more resources for things than its more powerfull siblings .

Of course i'm torn as I want to get a brand new hdtv next year and I don't want to be stuck with a lower res. I want to take advantage of the new toy and I'm sure alot of people buying these units will feel the same way.

Yeah, sorry didn't really read his other posts, anyway anyway I thought the SDTV targetting is a valid point that can be raised ;)

its not a problem .

Vysez said:
What's that game? NBA 2K6 or NBA Live?

Anyway, the developer, be it VC or EA Ca, really dropped the ball.
Passing the free supersampling, is just puzzling... What would be the benefit of doing so?
Or perhaps more importantly how is it even possible to circumvent the scaling? The hardware's not, from what we've been told, supposed to do that. Either we've been hearing wrong or people have been providing bogus info, or there's a switch in XB360 that devs can use to bypass scaling which they're never supposed to touch!

HappyBread said:
Some SD screen captures from a non-upscaled source.

kameo16uk.jpg

kameo37hi.jpg

As you can see, the GFX fidelity is around that of Rare's last Xbox game Conker: Live & Reloaded.
Right and these pictures are from the stages with 5000 characters on screen.How about posting some pictures from the regular levels(waterworld,forest) that have much more geometry and effects on the backgrounds so we can compare THEM with conker or anything else you'd like.....

fulcizombie said:
Right and these pictures are from the stages with 5000 characters on screen.How about posting some pictures from the regular levels(waterworld,forest) that have much more geometry and effects on the backgrounds so we can compare THEM with conker or anything else you'd like.....
kameo4.jpg

kameo7.jpg

kameo9.jpg

Still bad screens. How much darker can we get!?

When playing the game, or seeing it moving, it will be undeniable that those visuals could not be done on current gen consoles at that framerate if at all.

fulcizombie said:
Wow,you are trully ignorant.These are also from the "LOTR-like" levels that were created by Rare as last minute "passages" to the regular levels.
Wow, don't shoot the messenger now. Asked for more of his pictures, so I posted the rest of the pictures that were posted with the two you questioned.

And to make my point here's an image from a "LOTR-like" level of Kameo(like the ones some people are posting trying to prove how it looks like an xbox game):
http://images.xboxyde.com/gallery/public/1879/273_0002.jpg

Notice how the focus on these levels is the sheere number of opponents of all sizes(Trolls,Giants,Dragons) and not on background detail or effects.

And here's a shot from a "regular" Kameo level where the focus is not on number of enemies but on background detail and advanced effects.:
http://images.xboxyde.com/gallery/public/1879/273_0005.jpg

BTOA said:
Wow, don't shoot the messenger now. Asked for more of his pictures, so I posted the rest of the pictures that were posted with the two you questioned.
I didn't ask for more pictures in general,i asked for picture that are not from the "LOTR"-levels of Kameo.

I posted this in the other thread, but it applies equally here.

There is one big problem with the Kameo screenshots, and that's the fact that the guy used the Composite video input.

I mean, if this is the difference between Composite and S-Video:

Composite
composite.jpg

S-Video
yc.jpg

Just imagine how much better their screenshots would have looked using Component, which is noticably better than S-Video.

S-Video is far from being "good", RGB is ! (Still better than composite obviously)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back