Kameo SDTV vs HDTV comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I'm not worried for myself as I had always planed to run 720p from the 360 anyway, but it will be quite a shame to see games getting rendered at lower resolutions for those who can't run HD instead of rendering at the same resolution and then downsampling.

kyleb said:
Look at the 480p/720p mouseover pic on this page if you wan't to know how much SDTV user can get screwed on this.

What's with all the jaggies? So much for the free FSAA!

It doesn't make sense, how would downscaling a 720p image produce jaggies THAT bad, those are horrible!

AlphaWolf said:
SDTV users may as well slit their wrists...
It's still potentially a raw deal for SD users. These Kameo pics aren't showing the same degree of aliasing, though of course they're not particularly clear, which suggests it's something of a per title thing, or something else odd. But it still shouldn't exist. SD user should be getting everything HD users are getting except resolution. The same information density should be there with multisampling per pixel. These Kameo shots seem to show what it should be. I wonder why those sportsgame pics don't?

Downscaling wouldn't show jaggies like that, that game ovbiously renders at lower resolution when set to output 480p or 480i. Nice way let a good deal of power on the fancy new console go to waste and if many games are doing this that will suck for SDTV users.

"that game ovbiously renders at lower resolution when set to output 480p or 480i"

I sure hope that is the case. Surly the 360s scaler can at the very least do a bi-linear resize.

What's that game? NBA 2K6 or NBA Live?

Anyway, the developer, be it VC or EA Ca, really dropped the ball.
Passing the free supersampling, is just puzzling... What would be the benefit of doing so?

are games full screen at 480i/p or are they letterboxed

if they are full screen wouldn't it have to be rendered differently or it would get ditorted

and so according to gamespot the 360 does supports 1280X1024 thats good to know:smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
kyleb said:
Look at the 480p/720p mouseover pic on this page if you wan't to know how much SDTV user can get screwed on this.
Just to let you know Gamespot was using a Sony 60XBR800 HDTV, which is a 3 year old LCD RPTV.

BTOA said:
Just to let you know Gamespot was using a Sony 60XBR800 HDTV, which is a 3 year old LCD RPTV.

That explains a lot. Any SD picture displayed on a LCD looks horrible IMO. Much worse than it would on a standard CRT.

Boke said:
That explains a lot. Any SD picture displayed on a LCD looks horrible IMO. Much worse than it would on a standard CRT.
The scaler in that unit isn't the best too, while the one in the xbox 360 is pretty damn good.

Yea, the image is being scaled twice. Once by the 360 and then back up again by the LCD's scaler. They need to do that comparison on a CRT. It wouldn't need to rescale the image.

Boke said:
Yea, the image is being scaled twice. Once by the 360 and then back up again by the LCD's scaler. They need to do that comparison on a CRT. It wouldn't need to rescale the image.
Would there be a noticeable difference between using component cables on a Sony Wega versus using the standard yellow video on cable? I just realized that I have the component inputs on the back of the TV...

Comfortably Lomb said:
Would there be a noticeable difference between using component cables on a Sony Wega versus using the standard yellow video on cable? I just realized that I have the component inputs on the back of the TV...

I would think so. Component definitely looks better on my SD Hitachi.

Some SD screen captures from a non-upscaled source.

kameo16uk.jpg

kameo37hi.jpg

As you can see, the GFX fidelity is around that of Rare's last Xbox game Conker: Live & Reloaded.

playing kameo , pgr3 , madden i can tell u in 480p or 720p the games look great.

In motion even on 480p they are a leap beoynd anything i've seen on the xbox or gamecube.

The lighting is all there and everything looks great.

I dunno how 480i looks but whatcya going to do .

Sadly a sdtv user wont get the full effect of the system

HappyBread said:
Some SD screen captures from a non-upscaled source.

kameo16uk.jpg

kameo37hi.jpg

As you can see, the GFX fidelity is around that of Rare's last Xbox game Conker: Live & Reloaded.

Those are piss-poor screengrabs dude.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back