Kameo SDTV vs HDTV comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's about the most fair comparison I have seen.

It's interesting to note the size difference in the text and numbers to compensate for the lower resolution.

hdtv is more detailed, of course
sd is not that bad
the game came with msaa + downscaling 720p->480p does some kind of "supersampling" (the rendering is don at higher res than visible, then downscaled to visible)

I had to look for more than a second to notice any clear difference..and than it still wasn't that clear. probably cause it isn't a direct feed.

BTOA said:
He should have used component into a SDTV, instead of composite into a HDTV set.

Yes, that would have noticably increased the color saturation and sharpness.

I've got a 36" flat screen SDTV with component input and I've had more than one person tell me it looked "just as good as the HDTS's in the store."

It's not of course, but it is interesting to note the number of people who don't know, or can't tell the difference.

Dr Evil said:
The quality of that pic is horrible, why somebody want's to make conclusions based on that is beyond my comprehension.

It's good enough to see that the SDTV version looks about 10x's better than anything that's ever come out on XBOX or PS2.

Dr Evil said:
The quality of that pic is horrible
Doesn't look THAT bad to me. It's a consumer digicam photo of 2 CRT screens, what do you expect? The SD image is set a bit too bright (colors a bit washed out), but other than that the lores image looks surprisingly good. Certainly very far from any current console game in sheer lushness that's for sure.

I'd expect at least a bit higher resolution .jpgs focused on a smaller section of the screen before being able to draw any reasonable conclusions at all.

scooby_dooby said:
boo-hoo. Just admit the game looks hot, and this "SDTV owners are screwed" crap is a bunch of baloney.

they somewhat are penalized if they paid big bucks for an HDTV device and only use 30% of its graphical power.

to be able to compare SD and HDTV, we need screenshots that preserve the true resolution of the pictures.

Dr Evil said:
The quality of that pic is horrible, why somebody want's to make conclusions based on that is beyond my comprehension.

just take into account the fact we are humans and as humans we aren't always rational ;)

Magnum PI said:
they somewhat are penalized if they paid big bucks for an HDTV device and only use 30% of its graphical power.

to be able to compare SD and HDTV, we need screenshots that preserve the true resolution of the pictures.

Yeah, if the game is still rendering in at the same resolution then they are still using the power but just not as effectively as on a display that can fully resolve the image, but if it is rendering at a lower resolution then that is quite a waste of power.

Guden Oden said:
Doesn't look THAT bad to me. It's a consumer digicam photo of 2 CRT screens, what do you expect? The SD image is set a bit too bright (colors a bit washed out), but other than that the lores image looks surprisingly good. Certainly very far from any current console game in sheer lushness that's for sure.

Yes the picture is good enough to say that the game looks good, but it's way too bad quality to make comparison between SDTV and 720p which is what this thread is all about.

I just scaled one of the 1280x720 Kameo pics to 640x360 and showed it letterboxed on my 50" inch 4:3 sdtv(from my xbox using svideo). It didn't look as good as 720p on my HDTV, but it was still very good. I would not be disappointed if I had to play it that way.

I am very suprised... but the 640x360 pic still looks very nice on the HDTV.

scooby_dooby was right when he said " "SDTV owners are screwed" crap is a bunch of baloney."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back