Just picked up a Westinghouse 27" HDLCD Monitor.

boltneck

Newcomer
Ok, this is one bad boy. :)

600:1 contrast ratio, 1280x720 PC resolution. HD support. Beautiful colors, sharp picture.

HL2 looks awesome on it.

Unfortunately i am discovering that many/most of my games don’t support widescreen 16:9format. Which means I have to play some games at 800x600. Like Madden 06 for example.

Also unfortunately I am discovering this x800 is not going to cut it for playing at this resolution in some games. looks like I'll be needing to upgrade to an X1800.

Now all I need is a 360 ;)

Any of you thinking about getting one of theses medium sized HDLCD's get the Westinghouse. Its big money quality at an affordable price. Got mine at REX for $779

Congrats man, post some pictures! :)

Also your LCD should be able to scale the image to your display, try running the games at 1024x768 instead of 800x600...

erm.. you use that as your desktop monitor?
Why???
Talk about sacrificing resolution for size...
The jaggies must look huge on that thing!

radeonic2 said:
erm.. you use that as your desktop monitor?
Why???
Talk about sacrificing resolution for size...
The jaggies must look huge on that thing!

I use my 44inch LCD as my computer monitor... everything from Xbox 360 to PC games look great...

Agreed with radeonic2. 44 inch....and how close are you sitting to it?! Should do a number on your eyes at the end of the day. I thought a 30 inch display would be huge and that would be my limit but 44 inches?!

No jaggy issues. Actually it makes 800x600 look great.

The Fill and Zoom modes don't quite work when in try to force 1024x768. Unfortunately the image gets skewed.

I just need to find a video mode hack utility to force detection of wide screen formats.

It supports 75mhz refresh. You would be amazed at how awesome the PC looks on this thing. 1280x720@75 is pretty sweet. The colors are extremely vibrant, the text is razor sharp.

btw this is only a 27"

Hardknock said:
Congrats man, post some pictures! :)

Also your LCD should be able to scale the image to your display, try running the games at 1024x768 instead of 800x600...

or 960x720 when doable ;)

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

640x480 or if you cannot get that resolution then 800x600.

I played this way on my CRT and I play this way on my LCD.
Difference is that games aren't pixelated on my LCD.

boltneck said:
No jaggy issues. Actually it makes 800x600 look great.

The Fill and Zoom modes don't quite work when in try to force 1024x768. Unfortunately the image gets skewed.

I just need to find a video mode hack utility to force detection of wide screen formats.

It supports 75mhz refresh. You would be amazed at how awesome the PC looks on this thing. 1280x720@75 is pretty sweet. The colors are extremely vibrant, the text is razor sharp.

btw this is only a 27"
I mean in games ya know.. since you're running close to a resolution you would typically use a 19" display.
In dark games you wouldn't able to notice but I know from having a display capable of 1600x1200 that some games really need the extra resolution for alpha texture aliasing and the like.

600:1 seems fine for general PC usage, but for movies it's waaay too low. Dark scenes will look very washed out with the lights off.

I was playing COD2 on a fairly new LCD the other day (not a particularly dark game) with the lights partially dimmed, and I didn't like the non-black black at all. But to each his own, I guess. If you like the display, then keep on enjoying it.

radeonic2 said:
I mean in games ya know.. since you're running close to a resolution you would typically use a 19" display.
In dark games you wouldn't able to notice but I know from having a display capable of 1600x1200 that some games really need the extra resolution for alpha texture aliasing and the like.

I know, in games.

But really with 2x AA with the size of the pixels the jaggys simply don’t show up very much even at 800x600X32@75 with screen fill enabled.

Of Course HL2 supports 1280x720 so it looks simply smashing. :smile:

Mintmaster said:
600:1 seems fine for general PC usage, but for movies it's waaay too low. Dark scenes will look very washed out with the lights off.

I was playing COD2 on a fairly new LCD the other day (not a particularly dark game) with the lights partially dimmed, and I didn't like the non-black black at all. But to each his own, I guess. If you like the display, then keep on enjoying it.

99% of flat screen monitors only support between 250:1 - 350:1

Other brand LCDTV's on the same line with this one (at REX) averaged about 400:1. This HDLCD is above at least 99% of similar type LCD's. I saw one that was 800:1

Also, its not even close to "waaay to low". It does not look washed out at all. In fact it is imo close to the best there is in picture quality. This screen is extremely crisp and bright.

(yes higher is better)

http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/C/contrast_ratio.html

In reference to computer monitors, the measurement of the difference in light intensity between the brightest white and the darkest black. Contrast ratio is often used in marketing computer monitors, where a high contrast ratio, such as 400:1, represents a better color representation (the better the information will appear against a darker background) on the monitor than a lower contrast ratio, such as 150:1.

boltneck said:
I know, in games.

But really with 2x AA with the size of the pixels the jaggys simply don’t show up very much even at 800x600X32@75 with screen fill enabled.

Of Course HL2 supports 1280x720 so it looks simply smashing. :smile:
What is this screen fill you speak of?
It much blur it or something from scaling because on a 19" crt 1024 is a jaggy mess.. and your screen is 9 inchs bigger.
Anyway nice display I guess for movies.. but I couldn't sacrifice the resolution just because its as big as a tv.
I don't care what you say :p

Screen fill is a function on this Westinghouse to take a non widescreen rez and stretch it to fill the screen. It does a really nice job. It doesnt looked skewed or obviously tweaked out.

So, for mee 800x600 looks like a normal widescreen resolution.

radeonic2 said:
What is this screen fill you speak of?
It much blur it or something from scaling because on a 19" crt 1024 is a jaggy mess.. and your screen is 9 inchs bigger.
Anyway nice display I guess for movies.. but I couldn't sacrifice the resolution just because its as big as a tv.
I don't care what you say :p

1280x720 with AA looks pretty stunning. You really can’t even understand it, without going out and looking at some of the 360 displays. The effect is similar. The colors in HL2 and the immensity of being "in the action" far outweigh any minor irritation with jaggys. Especially when in this case they are pretty unnoticeable to me.

boltneck said:
1280x720 with AA looks pretty stunning. You really can’t even understand it, without going out and looking at some of the 360 displays. The effect is similar. The colors in HL2 and the immensity of being "in the action" far outweigh any minor irritation with jaggys. Especially when in this case they are pretty unnoticeable to me.
well jaggies stand out like a sore thumb to me.. so I would notice them.. I promise :D

Back