Jim Ryan Leaving Sony in March 2024

It may be a situation where the the board wants to select the next CEO and they haven’t voted yet, so they have a temporary CEO until then
How long are we expecting the space to remain unfilled. Is Totoki going be travelling like Ryan and living in a fog of jet lag, grumpiness and disorientation??

How long are we expecting the space to remain unfilled. Is Totoki going be travelling like Ryan and living in a fog of jet lag, grumpiness and disorientation??
I’m not entirely sure how the process works honestly lol. I suspect the board can release a vote anytime they want to so that shareholders can determine who they want as ceo. So either they haven’t found their candidates yet, or, they want to see how Totoki will do.

And yes, Totoki will likely be travelling a lot the next while.

Hmm... the notion that most casual players moved onto mobile gaming might be true. It's only anecdotal, but I don't know anyone that cares about things like Ori, LBP, or Psychonauts except me. All the console owners I know are playing AAA titles like GTA, Diablo IV, Starfield, CoD, LoU etc.... Most of these cute titles probably do bomb. It's probably smart of Sony to leave that stuff to the Indies.

Did shareholders vote on the other promotions? They read like just a normal career progression to me.
No, typically shareholders will vote on items that can affect profitability. Normal career progression of other individuals is unlikely. But anyone in a Chief role can be requested to meet with investors, and the board of directors. Common shareholders only get documentation they can also ask questions during annual or quarterly meetings, but they still get their vote on certain matters, common shareholders will elect who stays in the board of directors. Board of Directors will elect the Chief positions usually.

Often, people in the board of directors are also the executives. Like Satya. It would be wrong to say shareholders elect the executives, they elect the board. The board elects the executives. Often the board contains the executives.

Hope that makes more sense, you caught my mistake in the earlier post.

Last edited:
gow ragnarok, forbiden west and gt7 as crossgens, canceling days gone 2, focusing on gaas games - he wasnt fans favorite thats for sure ;d
Don't forget the asinine Project Q. For me, he always seemed overly focussed only on margins to the detriment of creative risk. He was a 'play safe' kind of manager, the first I think PlayStation has had in quite a while.

Indeed. I guess this is his 6 months notice with him leaving March. I'm just perplexed that the deputy isn't immediately considered for promotion and they are going to spend 6+ months finding an alternative. Heck the deputy isn't even caretaker until a replacement is found! They are adding to the COO's responsibilities.
My organisation does this when the person we want to take over cannot start as quickly as we would like. There are a bunch of reasons for this, first is if you're recruiting an external in a senior position their current contract may have a prolonged notice period. If you're recruiting internally, presumably at a fairly senior level, for every vacancy you fill, you create elsewhere unless you're consolidating positions.

There may also be senior people due to retire in the next 12 months that provide an opportunity for a wider reshuffle, which you would want do only once, not a bunch of times. Prolonged senior management reshuffles tend to spook the market.

Probably not related....

"Bloomberg reported in June that Sony had diverted resources away from the project following a negative internal review by Bungie, the recently acquired live-service powerhouse behind Destiny 2. One source now tells Kotaku that the multiplayer game, while not completely canceled, is basically on ice at this point."

The fact that they never even properly announced the game is a pretty bad sign at this point.

"Hey, Bugie. What do think of this game ND have been putting together?"
"Pffft."
"Okay, let's put that one on ice."

Makes you think though. Notably, about the wisdom of getting a studio that excels at single player story games to make a GaaS multiplayer cash-cow.

Makes you think though. Notably, about the wisdom of getting a studio that excels at single player story games to make a GaaS multiplayer cash-cow.
Yes, but at the same time, they had some MP stuff for one of the uncharted, I thought that actually was fun. But it was normal DM or TDM I think

Yes, I thought it was fun also. It was also a bit glitchy and I was involved in a fierce debate that the shooting didn't fire straight, something ND kept denying until I presented video proof! That MP game was a tweak on the game's gunplay and not a ground-up shooter. Setting out to make a killer shooter GaaS to trump Fortnite, Apex, PUBG, Overwatch, and Destiny is a different kettle of fish. Perhaps ND took the expected recipe book for these games and threw together something that just wasn't working right?

Last edited:
Reactions: JPT
Perhaps NS took the expected recipe book for these games and threw together something that just wasn't working right?
That is very possible, for me all of these GaaS games are basically just the same, they need to actually do something special to get me to bother trying them out. After Destiny I have only played Vigor which had 2 things that made me try it.

1. It was set in Norway, not many games are and since I am Norwegian that peaked my curiosity.
2. A couple of friends also wanted to try it out and we could team up in squads of 3. I had no real interest in it, but they pushed me to join for a test and 1600h played later I am trying to find something new to play. :D

The fact that they never even properly announced the game is a pretty bad sign at this point.
It's either this or you had a Redfall situation. Whilst Redfall was already announced and committed, Microsoft really should have delayed it like they did with Starfield. Most games don't get a second chance, for every No Man's Sky or Cyberpunk redemption arc, there are probably dozens where the initial poor impression killed the IP due to poor initial reception.

It's either this or you had a Redfall situation. Whilst Redfall was already announced and committed, Microsoft really should have delayed it like they did with Starfield. Most games don't get a second chance, for every No Man's Sky or Cyberpunk redemption arc, there are probably dozens where the initial poor impression killed the IP due to poor initial reception.
Hmmm. I think the exception there is big IP GaaS. Fallout '76 was a dog at launch, panned by the media. But they kept reporting on improvements to the game instead of letting it die and punishing the publishers. Take home that many pubs seem to be following now is 'release broken' fix later'. For single-player limited life titles like a Tomb Raider, that doesn't work, but games that keep evolving like NMS, it seems the preferred way of operating. To the point that pubs would rather games be made like that, GaaS, so they can get away with this monetising of unfinished and broken games early?

Hmmm. I think the exception there is big IP GaaS. Fallout '76 was a dog at launch, panned by the media. But they kept reporting on improvements to the game instead of letting it die and punishing the publishers. Take home that many pubs seem to be following now is 'release broken' fix later'. For single-player limited life titles like a Tomb Raider, that doesn't work, but games that keep evolving like NMS, it seems the preferred way of operating. To the point that pubs would rather games be made like that, GaaS, so they can get away with this monetising of unfinished and broken games early?
I don't know. Plenty of single player experience and GaaS titles have launched bad, and few seem to be lucky enough to turn things around. I'm not sure if you're using Fallout '76 as an example of a successful GaaS turnaround, my perception from the few MAU numbers released over time and the various rating bombing on content and mechanics changes put this into the failure category in my head but Bethesda are still supporting it so.. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

No Man's Sky and Cyberpunk launched as single-player experiences (NMS online simultaneously being downplayed and exaggerated at the time, depending on whether Hello Games were try to set expectations for finding other players or how much you can meaningfully interact with them), but NMS was never GaaS as I believe every single update has been free.

I think GaaS are generally more vulnerable because any kind of GaaS/subscription mode can be cancelled quickly compared to dropping $70-80 on a game, which might be broken at launch, but which some gamers might revisit after patches to recoup some enjoyment from their investment.

But who knows..

I don't know. Plenty of single player experience and GaaS titles have launched bad, and few seem to be lucky enough to turn things around. I'm not sure if you're using Fallout '76 as an example of a successful GaaS turnaround, my perception from the few MAU numbers released over time and the various rating bombing on content and mechanics changes put this into the failure category in my head but Bethesda are still supporting it so.. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
It's now reviewing and rating fairly positive. People bought it and spent money it from the off. Bethesda should have waited a year or two before releasing a working game, but instead they launched broken, made lots of money, and then maintained it where it's grown. Perhaps they've made far less money than if they had launched a working game, but given the number of games that launch broken, either publishers have completely lost the plot or their metrics show that's a better business model nowadays.

NMS wasn't broken at launch; it just underdelivered. It sold well and that's why Hello Games continued investing with each update adding value and attracting more full-paying customers.

It's now reviewing and rating fairly positive. People bought it and spent money it from the off. Bethesda should have waited a year or two before releasing a working game, but instead they launched broken, made lots of money, and then maintained it where it's grown. Perhaps they've made far less money than if they had launched a working game, but given the number of games that launch broken, either publishers have completely lost the plot or their metrics show that's a better business model nowadays.
I had completely forgotten that Fallout '76 used the Destiny model, pay up front for the game and all the expansions and ratings are "mostly positive" on Steam, but the numbers of people playing on Steam its pretty low and has been for years. But maybe these aren't super low numbers, I mean Sea of Thieves is doing better but I'm still kind of surprises that the concurrent numbers are in the low tens of thousands numbers but I've only really played MMORPGS like EverQuest and WoW so maybe my expecations are way for modern GaaS.

NMS wasn't broken at launch; it just underdelivered. It sold well and that's why Hello Games continued investing with each update adding value and attracting more full-paying customers.
Even ignoring the crashes and corrupt saves, NMS was completely broken because it was impossible to complete, or even half complete, the main story for about first three. So it was fine if you all you wanted to do was wander aimlessly and gather resources but there was no incentive to so asthe economy and crafting was super basic.

At the time of launch, No Man's Sky was the most broken game I have played in about twenty years.

Back