Jim Ryan Leaving Sony in March 2024

Maybe now we can get Dreams greenlit for other platforms? Tren is kinda fun the more ya get into it. If there's one piece of software from Sony that deserves to be on other platforms it is Dreams. Such a shame they're done with the game, mostly, because it had the potential to become a rival to games like Minecraft.

Filter out the remakes and what diversity have you got? It's a lot of shooters and action games, with the perennial racer. The 'Sackboy' game took a completely new, imaginative game - LBP - that reached a huge audience of all ages, and just recycled the IP into a standard platformer. What are the risk games? What are the low-return, artsy titles? Or the family pleasers? PS2 was made pink and sold to girls on SingStar - what's the equivalent for PS5 for girls who aren't into online shooters? They remade ICO - that was boundary pushing in 2001 but barely sold, but Sony made it and released it anyway. Now the closest they can get to that pioneering spirit on PS5 is a remake of an old idea.

Sony have left diversity to the third parties. They aren't risk-takers any more. But that's kinda true of all creative industries I guess. Much more doubling down on proven ideas and IP recycling. It's left to the indies to take the risks themselves.
Not sure why I had to filter out remakes of old ps2/3 games maked on new engine and with new assets. Everybody love new re4 remake from what I see. Btw forgot to put Driveclub on the list and big one, Dreams ! Sony as I showed has plenty of variaty but of course best their games are single player with great combat, narration and graphics and lets hope they will keep with it. For me ps4 generation was probably best.

Not sure why I had to filter out remakes of old ps2/3 games maked on new engine and with new assets.
Because those aren't Sony experimenting with new games. That's them taking something that worked and upgrading it, a fairly safe bet. An upgrade of SOTC and ICO is not the same risky venture as developing the originals was.

Sony as I showed has plenty of variaty but of course best their games are single player with great combat, narration and graphics and lets hope they will keep with it. For me ps4 generation was probably best.
I disagree that they've shown plenty of variety. They've shown some and in safe areas and styles. And for sure, they can keep up what they do well, but they are also making enough money that they can branch out and attempt to invigorate the industry again. They need someone at the helm who loves games and has vision and ambition to grow gaming, not just revenue and profits.

Sony have left diversity to the third parties. They aren't risk-takers any more. But that's kinda true of all creative industries I guess. Much more doubling down on proven ideas and IP recycling. It's left to the indies to take the risks themselves.

PS Gamers (before): We want new and unique titles.
State of Play: Shows tons of exclusive and unique indie titles for PS5.
PS Gamers (after): We don't want that shit! Too many indie titles! When is the next Naughty Dog / Santa Monica Studio game titles coming?
Me: :rolleyes: at gamers...

They need someone at the helm who loves games and has vision and ambition to grow gaming, not just revenue and profits.
Thats why I hate this gaas aproach, targeting high budget single player game is ambitious and risky, target high budget gaas game is not ambitious but even more risky.
Because those aren't Sony experimenting with new games. That's them taking something that worked and upgrading it, a fairly safe bet. An upgrade of SOTC and ICO is not the same risky venture as developing the originals was.
On my long list only 2 titles were remakes (of quite niche games).

Also anyone that's upset that they're porting games to pc is deranged. Can't imagine a fan of Sony games being upset that more people get to play them. It's just weird gatekeeping behaviour.

This. I wish they were day one releases as well.

Being primarily a PC gamer doesn't stop me from purchasing games for my PS5 and I often double dip for the PC edition depending on the Sony title.

Also anyone that's upset that they're porting games to pc is deranged. Can't imagine a fan of Sony games being upset that more people get to play them. It's just weird gatekeeping behaviour.
From playstation only user perspective quite normal. What he benefits of pc port of game he already played ? Nothing but hypothetically losing with longer development time of games as part of team give resourcers/time for pc convertion. For example Nixxes is very talentet but all they did so far is ports. Some can wonder what they can do as new ip developer.

Me: :rolleyes: at gamers...
The problem there is overgeneralising and lumping all gamers together. There are many different types of people who want to play games of different types. The audience that watches a State of Play and cares to comment will be a tiny fraction of those gamers representing a tiny fraction of opinions.

Sony's diversity has diminished from its PS2/PS3 heyday. I think that's what people dislike most - not the businessman, but the execution and choices. Why is SingStar no more? What happened to EyeToy? These were SCEE creations that got shelved. Where are the left-field games that don't sell gangbusters but broaden the library? Sony wasn't afraid to just make games, but it seems they are now more focussed on games with a particular ROI, less gamer-spirit and more pencil-pushing cash-grabbing.

Nintendo by comparison remains Nintendo with the same type of content and output as they had 20 years ago.

My theory is that the almost failure that was PS3 scared upper management as well as investors and since then they have focused hard on profitability in order to avoid another repeat of PS3.

It could be argued that this is why PlayStation survived and is now thriving. PS3 is basically the turning point for when Sony started to stop greenlighting more experimental type games.

Regards,
SB

Sony has the same issue as every other company. The cost of making games is so high that they became risk averse. You could make a fantastic unique game for $200 million and then lose a lot of money if no one plays it. I doubt a new CEO will be massively more risky with title development.

It was not uncomon for mid level executives and producers to shop around at game conventions and trade events for tallented small studios (a dozen people or less) and promising projects. They would fund those projects just enough and provide some production assistance to turn a flawed but promising experiment into a well-enough polished low budget product.

Perhaps they still do that, but I dont see much interesting stuff. And I play a lot of creative indie games on GOG, Steam and ItchIO, yet 99% of the indies that I see on State of Plays often look like souless derivative shit, to be really honest. Are they just bad at curation or what?

My theory is that the almost failure that was PS3 scared upper management as well as investors and since then they have focused hard on profitability in order to avoid another repeat of PS3.
That'd be a bad reaction if so. PS3's failures were hardware. The games and "It only does everything" and full family appeal are what recovered it. To abandon what worked so well for PS1 and PS2 and sustained PS3 makes no sense to me. Maybe they fear the broader demographics are all mobile gamers now and don't care for 'casual' games on consoles? Or at least aren't going to chase them and will leave that audience to other devs. Indie self-publishing means moving all the risk off Sony while they can still gain credit for content and the 30% revenue cut.

He will hand over the reins of corporate power to Sony Group Corporation president and COO Hiroki Totoki on 1st April 2024, who will take on the role of Interim CEO of SIE until a suitable successor can be found.

He's second in command for the whole of Sony, so he won't be there long. And as COO, he must see how well PS is doing and would be a madman to mess too much with that formula. Highly doubt a PS handheld is coming unless it something phone related.

Perhaps the biggest news is there wasn't a replacement lined up. Ryan leaving was unexpected? What about the number two at SIE? Why isn't a straight-forward in-department promotion the best and obvious choice?

Last edited:
Ryan leaving was unexpected?
I mean, when you have accumulated as much wealth as some of these guys, the only thing remaining is your health, or your time left on earth.

At some point, you’re going to make a call that enough is enough, or a life event will wake you up to your own mortality.

Unfortunately I’ve also seen the opposite happen, people just fall back into their habits unsure what to do with their life.

I mean, when you have accumulated as much wealth as some of these guys, the only thing remaining is your health, or your time left on earth.

At some point, you’re going to make a call that enough is enough, or a life event will wake you up to your own mortality.

Unfortunately I’ve also seen the opposite happen, people just fall back into their habits unsure what to do with their life.

But still, one would think that Ryan did not decide to retire out of the blue and left his position the very next day with no previous warning. You'd think they'd have time to have planned out for the next steps a little better.

Indeed. I guess this is his 6 months notice with him leaving March. I'm just perplexed that the deputy isn't immediately considered for promotion and they are going to spend 6+ months finding an alternative. Heck the deputy isn't even caretaker until a replacement is found! They are adding to the COO's responsibilities. Ryan was appointed Deputy President below Kodera. Kodera inherited from being Deputy to Andrew House. But Ryan's deputy isn't being given the role.

Also, all these other replacements have happened April 1st. Andrew House's resignation was announced Oct 3rd. Kodera's was Jan 22nd. Ryan's move is paralleled by Andrew House's save the lack of a named successor.

Indeed. I guess this is his 6 months notice with him leaving March. I'm just perplexed that the deputy isn't immediately considered for promotion and they are going to spend 6+ months finding an alternative. Heck the deputy isn't even caretaker until a replacement is found! They are adding to the COO's responsibilities. Ryan was appointed Deputy President below Kodera. Kodera inherited from being Deputy to Andrew House. But Ryan's deputy isn't being given the role.

Also, all these other replacements have happened April 1st. Andrew House's resignation was announced Oct 3rd. Kodera's was Jan 22nd. Ryan's move is paralleled by Andrew House's save the lack of a named successor.
Sounds like the departure is probably something of a surprise.

And personally, I'd not be thrilled with the COO(who is also CFO, which is not being mentioned) getting the promotion. Playstation is likely to do well financially in the near future with whoever, so I'd rather see the 'doing well cuz they are pleasing gamers' type person get the job over the 'doing well cuz they're exploiting gamers' type.

But still, one would think that Ryan did not decide to retire out of the blue and left his position the very next day with no previous warning. You'd think they'd have time to have planned out for the next steps a little better.
It may be a situation where the the board wants to select the next CEO and they haven’t voted yet, so they have a temporary CEO until then

Back