Japan Sales Thread *renamed

Sure. Why does a console have to be a runaway best seller to be considered a success? Does it play the games I want, and whatever extra features? If so and it's a healthy market that isn't being abandoned, it's a success. PSP is selling say half of DSes rate. Now if XB or GC sold 50% of PS2's install base, would you consider it a flop? PSP has outsold XB and GC and eclipsed every handheld other than Nintendo's. In that respect, if the handheld market were a 100 metre dash, the average handheld would have turned in a time of 20 seconds, DS would be running 10 seconds, and PSP 14 seconds, while weighing (costing) more than Nintendo's athletes. PSP is still well clear of everything else, a strong platform that's growing, with a product that's ever increasing its functions and value. You may not consider that a success, but I'd happily head such failures given the chance!

Sure. Why does a console have to be a runaway best seller to be considered a success? Does it play the games I want, and whatever extra features? If so and it's a healthy market that isn't being abandoned, it's a success. PSP is selling say half of DSes rate. Now if XB or GC sold 50% of PS2's install base, would you consider it a flop? PSP has outsold XB and GC and eclipsed every handheld other than Nintendo's. In that respect, if the handheld market were a 100 metre dash, the average handheld would have turned in a time of 20 seconds, DS would be running 10 seconds, and PSP 14 seconds, while weighing (costing) more than Nintendo's athletes. PSP is still well clear of everything else, a strong platform that's growing, with a product that's ever increasing its functions and value. You may not consider that a success, but I'd happily head such failures given the chance!

It doesnt have to be as you say. But people will always look at it like that. The GC is generally conciderd a failure, but it had plenty of good games and if you look at nintendo's bank account it probably wasnt such a failure in their eyes. Still people do GC = failure. Thats just how it goes.

Yeah, but they already have the controls worked out with the PSP version. They might have to prod it a bit if they're REALLY trying to change things up on the Wii (which I don't see offhand), but I think it'd be much more a matter of putting the MH3 "plot" ( ;) ) and new content into the PSP mold.

Which is not to say that they WILL do it, but I'm mainly saying they'd be retarded not to. The series has stupid-good sales, so much so as to make it worth their while to surmount even HUGE obstacles to port the content over. (And I don't think they'd be that huge.

They could, of course, continue the PSP series in it's own direction, but I figured it be a lot cheaper for them to use the same kind of art and storyline that they're already aiming at the Wii.

Its a bit like porting cod4 to the wii. It sells insane and it will probably sell plenty if they made a good wii port but they dont probably because its takes to much work. It could be the same with the wii version if they really take advantage of the platform. If they do, they will have to put alot of effort into making a psp version which they might not feel is worth it even if they know they sell 1 or 2 million or whatever.

I agree. The term "success" is relative. Every console is a success to the person who enjoys it. I know people who considered the Dreamcast, Jaguar, Neo-Geo and 3DO to be a success. If I enjoyed Zack and Wiki or Virtua Fighter 5, I'd consider them successes too.

It doesnt have to be as you say. But people will always look at it like that. The GC is generally conciderd a failure, but it had plenty of good games and if you look at nintendo's bank account it probably wasnt such a failure in their eyes. Still people do GC = failure. Thats just how it goes.

The Gamecube was not a failure! There were many games on the console that I enjoyed like RE4, RE0, Wind Waker, F-Zero GX, SSBM, etc. That is one of the reasons I'm enjoying the Wii as it is the successor to my console of choice last gen. The Dreamcast was a massive success as I enjoyed many games on that platform too. I enjoyed great games like Soul Calibur, Crazy taxi, RE: CV, DOA2, etc. Why is Sega taking so long to release the successor to the Dreamcast....??
:LOL:

I always wanted a dreamcast, never got one though. Always seemed like a very balanced console to me and alot of good games from the start. To bad sega blew their whole marketing budget on sponsering Arsenal because I really feel they deserved some (commercial) succes with the DC after creating that horror saturn.

But generally people just view the person/console to come out on top as the winner, not really looking at the bigger picture. I dont really mind though, the fanwars are fun to read, especially if you can stirr things up a bit :D Its like MS selling 2m more xboxs than GC's but making a 4billion loss while nintendo made profit, its just fun to read how the xbox fans say the xbox pwned the GC and was a succes (which I guess atleast from a selling pov as it was MS their first console) and how the Nintendo fans said the xbox failed because MS lost a boatload of money on it.

We should just have fun reading people attacking each other :LOL:

Its a bit like porting cod4 to the wii. It sells insane and it will probably sell plenty if they made a good wii port but they dont probably because its takes to much work.
Well... not QUITE like CoD4... I mean, they don't already have an engine and combat system built from two previous FPS iterations, now do they? ;)

They wouldn't be "making a port of the Wii version" so much as "using the same general plot, zones, and creatures in their pre-existing PSP engine." Obviously they wouldn't be using the same control schemes, but I don't offhand see Monster Hunter changing their format much--just the input method. It'd be wedging the assets into the PSP engine they already know back and forth.

Again, I just think they'd be pretty idiotic to not shove what's effectively a guaranteed million-seller out the door for what would be much less effort than normal.

Sure, but not in this forum ;)

Ahhh shifty, your acting old ;) Having things heat up from time to time while keeping friendly isnt to bad, keeps you sharp ;)

Well... not QUITE like CoD4... I mean, they don't already have an engine and combat system built from two previous FPS iterations, now do they? ;)

They wouldn't be "making a port of the Wii version" so much as "using the same general plot, zones, and creatures in their pre-existing PSP engine." Obviously they wouldn't be using the same control schemes, but I don't offhand see Monster Hunter changing their format much--just the input method. It'd be wedging the assets into the PSP engine they already know back and forth.

Again, I just think they'd be pretty idiotic to not shove what's effectively a guaranteed million-seller out the door for what would be much less effort than normal.

Well but that isnt going to work if they make a engine that takes advantage of the wii version now is it? that why I took cod4 as a example. Porting, or rather rebuilding it to work on wii would probably cost so much time and money they didnt feel it was worth it knowing that it could very well sell a million or more if done properly.

Now the wii might not be such a powerhouse, buts its still a couple of times faster than the psp so if they did a good wii engine that wouldnt work so fast on psp, they'd need to rework all the models and textures which costs time and money which might not be cost efficient enough.

Not saying there wont be mh3 for the psp. I just dont really see what the advantage is of announcing a wii only version, a system where some say its still a bit shady on how ''hardcore'' games will do, if they know they'll sell a million+ on the psp. Wouldnt you rather be on the safe side than and just announce a wii and psp version?

Week ending March 2.
PSP – 73,706
Wii – 64,535
Nintendo DS - 51,922
PlayStation 3 - 13,520
PlayStation 2 - 10,986
Xbox 360 - 2,282

Very stables figures! PSP got a jump due to a new colour.

Media Create 3/3 till 3/9, from this thread:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=254836

PHP:
01./00. [PS3] Yakuza 3: Kenzan! (Sega) - 181,189 / NEW
02./02. [WII] Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Nintendo) - 50,401 / 1,408,000
03./03. [WII] Wii Fit (Nintendo) - 48,984 / 1,659,000
04./00. [PS2] Gundam Musou Special (Bandai-Namco) - 39,119 / 189,000
05./00. [WII] Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (Nintendo) - 32,388 / NEW
06./09. [WII] Wii Sports (Nintendo) - 18,765 / 2,838,000
07./04. [NDS] Soma Bringer (Nintendo) - 17,276 / 68,000
08./00. [NDS] Doraemon: Nobita and the Green Giant DS (Bandai-Namco) - 16,997 / NEW
09./07. [PSP] Musou Orochi (Koei) - 15,902 / 87,000
10./00. [WII] Everyone's General Knowledge Training TV (Nintendo) - 14,454 / NEW

PHP:
Hardware - This Week | Last Week |       YTD |        LTD
1. WII   -    57,068 |    64,535 |   888,409 |  5,504,569
2. PSP   -    53,924 |    73,706 |   861,346 |  8,462,940
3. NDS   -    48,658 |    51,922 |   872,911 | 22,045,962
4. PS3   -    21,008 |    13,520 |   307,576 |  1,949,252
5. PS2   -    10,429 |    10,986 |   136,880 | 21,063,917
6. 360   -     2,891 |     2,282 |    42,348 |    549,689

I bought MH2G and have been playing it a couple days. This is my first Monster Hunter game.

My first impression was that this game is not very good. The controls are very difficult. Just trying to keep the camera oriented in the right direction is a huge pain in the ass. It's also very unforgiving with the hit boxes. It's just plain hard to hit monsters where you want to hit them, especially if they are jumping all around and behind the camera. There is no auto targetting or lock on. Timing and aim accuracy is very critical. And the PSP controls don't do you any favors.

But I've been playing it for 30+ hours now because it truely is like crack. It's like playing an MMORPG. First couple trips out to the wilderness are pretty lame. But each mission is pretty short so you fall into that "one more turn" syndrome. And then the item shops start teasing your with their awesome looking armor and weapons. And you feel obligated to keep on playing so that you can kill more monsters and forage for more loot so that you can craft or buy new weapons and armor.

I haven't even tried multiplayer yet. But already I'm so addicted...

Wow, up from 2-4k per week. Not bad at all. But let's see the next 2 weeks. :D

This'll really blow your mind :smile: Supposedly, there is some type of 360 shortage going on in Japan (yeah, it's obviously not because of overwhelming demand but anyway), and there have been claims that without the shortage, 360 might have beaten Wii last week!

Streams have crossed before, 360 has beaten PS3 before, and PS3 has beaten Wii before.

Streams have crossed before, 360 has beaten PS3 before, and PS3 has beaten Wii before.

Yep, but 360 is making a nice headway to Xbox1 and there are still quite a few big releases coming to the system, so in the lifetime sales X360 will surpass Xbox1 with a very significant margin.

Back