Japan Sales Thread *renamed

Current PSP owners are simply repurchasing PSPs because it doesn't have a clamshell design to protect the screen (i.e. the PSP screen becomes a mess pretty quickly). It's not that hard to figure out.

Most people treat their PSP with care (There are protective casing for PSPs). In fact, the screen is one of the biggest selling points of PSP.

I think PSP is gaining momentum because the perceived value/utility is higher now. Besides playing video, game, music, photo and web surf, it also has GPS, Skype, and other services available in Japan (e.g., PSP TV). It is also cheaper, lighter, offer more colors, and last longer on one charge than before. In the process, it has broadened its appeal (I have seen more young women carrying PSPs around too).

I don't think DS's trend will affect PSP much (and vice versa). They are different creatures. I have young and old friends who don't mind owning a PSP and a DS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most people treat their PSP with care (There are protective casing for PSPs). In fact, the screen is one of the biggest selling points of PSP.

I think PSP is gaining momentum because the perceived value/utility is higher now. Besides playing video, game, music, photo and web surf, it also has GPS, Skype, and other services available in Japan (e.g., PSP TV). It is also cheaper, lighter, offer more choice of colors, and last longer on one charge than before. I have seen more young women carrying PSPs around too.

I don't think DS's trend will affect PSP much (and vice versa). They are different creatures. I have young and old friends who don't mind owning a PSP and a DS.

That's precisely the point. ;) Once that beautiful screen gets scratched or damaged, the average PSP owner (who adores the screen) will buy a replacement. Remember the original GBA? It also had an exposed screen, but Nintendo quickly remedied that problem with the SP's clamshell design because as a game company, you want to encourage the consumer to purchase games, not repurchase your hardware multiple times.

That's precisely the point. ;) Once that beautiful screen gets scratched or damaged, the average PSP owner (who adores the screen) will buy a replacement. Remember the original GBA? It also had an exposed screen, but Nintendo quickly remedied that problem with the SP's clamshell design because as a game company, you want to encourage the consumer to purchase games, not repurchase your hardware multiple times.

Sure, but I doubt that the PSP sales rate is due to common damages like this. The DS also has potential damages due to pen scratches, clamshell or not. The better sales is more likely because of new customers (I forgot to mention that the PSP Media Manager is free now too, and large memory sticks are affordable these days). If Sony makes PSP even easier to use, its monthly sale should improve further.

Last edited by a moderator:
Teasy and ReadyKilowatt, you guys are priceless. Listen to patsu, he knows what he is talking about. The PSP screen is a pretty tough mofo - I treat mine like shit, and they (both my Homebrew and my white regular one) only have one or two minor scratches. By the way, if one company is ALL about rebuying your hardware multiple times, surely we're talking all about Nintendo's hardware products - I doubt many people here still have an original DS, for instance, not to mention the various iterations of GBA we've seen.

Really, the discussion here is about the software. With the huge spikes in sales of the PSP, we've also seen Crisis Core sell really well, and Monster Hunter 2 Portable climb back up in the top 10 of the charts to establish itself there almost permanently. That's at least some indication that it's not just about hardware, or even hardware replacement.

Well you say that but sony isnt much better either. You had the psx, the psone, the ps2, the ps2 slim, the ps2 psx, the psp, the psp lite, about half a dozen of ps3 models already with atleast another half a dozen coming ;)

Atleast when nintendo releases a new model it has some big advantages ;)

Anyway, for the software. Yes there are 1 or 2 psp games that keep selling, but that doesnt say much right? those are just very populair but those 2 titels dont mean a whole lot in the big picture (and if they do its a sign something is wrong).

I think the PSP starts selling more because people see it as a media player. But maybe piracy could be a reason too? I heard they sell complete guides on how to download and use games in normal stores, though this is also the case for the DS and you could even argue its easier to use on the DS as you dont have to worry about firmware and all.

It does have it's allure. ^_^ I thought it was a lot more prevalent out in the west, though... (Or other Asian countries like China.) I normally don't want to bother, but even I'm tempted to pick up a PSP Lite to get A) a PSP Lite, and B) dedicate my old one to homebrew and hackdom. It's also been VERY hard not to pick up one of those cards for the DS just for convenience's sake.

I guess someone else may have more insight as to how much of that goes on amongst the nerd community in Japan. ;)

Didnt this irish researcher said 90% of the DS owners uses a flashcard? Given how r4 cards and full color manuals on how to get the games online are available in normal stores in Japan I wouldnt be suprised if a large portion has one. Same for the PSP I think, I heard almost every psp sold the buyer also buys a larger memorystick with it.

Cant be the price of the games, DS games cost 27 euro's or less in Japan, I have to pay 40 to 45 euro's for a new game...

Didnt this irish researcher said 90% of the DS owners uses a flashcard? Given how r4 cards and full color manuals on how to get the games online are available in normal stores in Japan I wouldnt be suprised if a large portion has one. Same for the PSP I think, I heard almost every psp sold the buyer also buys a larger memorystick with it.
Reasons for getting a large Memory Stick for PSP aren't limited to piracy though! I'd have thought those getting flash storage are wanting to use it's media functions.

Piracy and PSP repurchases or no, at over 1.5 million games sold in Japan, Monster Hunter 2 has been bought by 25% of the PSP owners so far. So that's not so bad. ;) I don't think that piracy is bigger than that figure in Japan at least.

Reasons for getting a large Memory Stick for PSP aren't limited to piracy though! I'd have thought those getting flash storage are wanting to use it's media functions.

Yes ofcourse, but ill get tired if I have to type that every time ;) Besides, everybody knows that.

I consider the info HIGHLY suspect, and even then--he was talking about the US, and how it might affect the UK/Europe, not Japan.

I dont think there will be such a big difference between the US and EU. Maybe between those 2 and Japan because its easy to get in Japan and in the US and EU you'll have to order online in most cases.

I dont think there will be such a big difference between the US and EU.
Yeah, but we WERE talking about Japan and all... ;)

Regardless, I saw no real indication of HOW they were taking that measurement, and pretty much think they're pulling the figure straight out of their ass. The DS is in the hands of many an adult and child at this point, and none of them are really going to be on top of the flashreaders and piracy.

Well that hypothetical scenario is boring but actually it's an impression shared with a third-party publisher in Japan.

Interview with Shin Unozawa, Bandai Namco Games VP in Dec 2007
http://japan.cnet.com/sp/game2007/story/0,3800082083,20363952-2,00.htm

machine translation

When asked what's up in the portable market where the migration process has been completed unlike still strong PS2, basically he says traditional gamers who supported the move from NES/Super NES to Playstation are now on PSP judging from what are selling on it. Capcom's Monster Hunter and Bandai Namco's Gundam Battle Royale and Gundam Battle Chronicle are million sellers and smash hits. OTOH, "new gamers" (or so-called non-gamers) and "returning gamers" (who played old NES games and left) are main DS users and they don't want Playstation-esque games. Bandai Namco offers Tamagochi for DS which is a million seller. So they have to develop titles with these different market demands on mind. Also he talks about the absolute install base of PSP that has grown to a serious market, and the possibility that there are many people who own both DS and PSP.

Bandai Namco FY 2008.3: Nine Months Ended - Financial Highlights
http://www.bandainamco.co.jp/en/ir/financial/pdf_bnh/en_080206_2.pdf
PSP - 10 titles, 1,500,000 copies sold
DS - 24 titles, 2,728,000 copies sold

Don't you think that perception is purely driven by the titles released on the platforms though? It's like saying Americans hate Japanese TV, since the number of people watching Japanese TV shows is so small over here due to having no Japanese channels (stupid, stupid analogy, I know - I don't even know the availability of the cable channels over there)

When Monster Hunter 3 is released exclusively on Wii, we'll see whether my perception or yours (and Namco's! ;) )is correct. Will it not sell because "gamers don't buy the Wii"? I highly doubt it. DS software and hardware sells by the truckload, and whether you like it or not, these new genres are games. The "it needs a gun and sword or it's not a game!" school of thought is outdated... dinosaurs like Namco need to adapt to the changing market or they'll end up like Atari.

Again, purely my line of thought - and I enjoy my PSP (would like more frequent good original games though) and don't own a DS. I just philosophically disagree with the logic being bandied about against the DS as a "toy" where the PSP is a "true gaming device".

I'm pretty sure MH3 will hit the PSP as well. They'd be pretty idiotic not to continue to feed the rabid fanbase, especially since they just have to apply the new content to the engine they already have running on the PSP. (They can probably even stretch a bit further to get it closer to the Wii's assets with the full 333mhz access now, too.)

Well you say that but sony isnt much better either. You had the psx, the psone, the ps2, the ps2 slim, the ps2 psx, the psp, the psp lite, about half a dozen of ps3 models already with atleast another half a dozen coming ;)

Atleast when nintendo releases a new model it has some big advantages ;)

You are wrong about that. The different models did have advantages and were directly related to cost efficiency, price reduction, more reliable hardware and smaller size as the production process were improved. All of these are experienced mby the consumer directly. The purpose of these models had nothing to do with providing more variety. They were just replacing the old.

As for PSX it wasnt even marketed as a console but as a media system.

You are wrong about that. The different models did have advantages and were directly related to cost efficiency, price reduction, more reliable hardware and smaller size as the production process were improved. All of these are experienced mby the consumer directly. The purpose of these models had nothing to do with providing more variety. They were just replacing the old.

As for PSX it wasnt even marketed as a console but as a media system.

Uhhh kinda like nintendo.

I'm pretty sure MH3 will hit the PSP as well. They'd be pretty idiotic not to continue to feed the rabid fanbase, especially since they just have to apply the new content to the engine they already have running on the PSP. (They can probably even stretch a bit further to get it closer to the Wii's assets with the full 333mhz access now, too.)

That depends on what they will do with the wii version. If its going to be based on the wiimote, take advantage of the wii hardware and have a whole online system (I read that somewhere, dont know if its true) it going to be hard to port it to the psp I suppose. If they really wanted the psp fanbase wouldnt it make more sense if they announced a psp and a wii version (and base the wii version on the psp) instead of a wii exclusive?

Yeah, but they already have the controls worked out with the PSP version. They might have to prod it a bit if they're REALLY trying to change things up on the Wii (which I don't see offhand), but I think it'd be much more a matter of putting the MH3 "plot" ( ;) ) and new content into the PSP mold.

Which is not to say that they WILL do it, but I'm mainly saying they'd be retarded not to. The series has stupid-good sales, so much so as to make it worth their while to surmount even HUGE obstacles to port the content over. (And I don't think they'd be that huge.

They could, of course, continue the PSP series in it's own direction, but I figured it be a lot cheaper for them to use the same kind of art and storyline that they're already aiming at the Wii.

Piracy and PSP repurchases or no, at over 1.5 million games sold in Japan, Monster Hunter 2 has been bought by 25% of the PSP owners so far. So that's not so bad. ;) I don't think that piracy is bigger than that figure in Japan at least.

So, you would be happy if the PS3 mirrors the PSP's so-called success in the future? I'm sure Nintendo would be happy too. :LOL:

Back