I've started a PG Dip in Indie Game Development!

Picao84

Veteran
Hi guys,

After a period of lurking, following the closure of the 3D Architecture sub forum and all the drama that ensued that really pissed me off, I decided to start posting again. Especially since I finally decided to go for a career in games development and started a course in Indie Games Development with Falmouths University's Games Academy.

Is there anyone else here doing this course or did it in the past? I'm on my fourth week and enjoying it a lot so far.

Good luck Picao. My experience has not been great in the short time I did it, but shipping a title felt good even though it didn’t sell anything.

Game dev really is a labor of love. If you’re looking for a decent living wage with reasonable work life balance, imo, look elsewhere.

Thanks. I actually have a decent passive income from a couple of mobile card games I developed (ads and in app purchases). However those card games weren't developed in a game engine (for the most recent one I used a 2D rendering engine but that's about it) and I have several ideas for games that need one, plus they are more complex because they'll have narrative, art, etc. I've started to create some of my own art (inspired by an existing title) as part of a course challenge and I'm enjoying it a lot! Got a drawing tablet and find that I actually enjoy drawing. Also started doing some animation as well! It's a great break from pure programming!

Good luck Picao. My experience has not been great in the short time I did it, but shipping a title felt good even though it didn’t sell anything.

Game dev really is a labor of love. If you’re looking for a decent living wage with reasonable work life balance, imo, look elsewhere.
I wonder about this, is it the same for people working behind the scenes in Hollywood, or the movie industry in general due to the fact that there's lot of people wanting to work in it?

Let me know how the course is. I suck at programing but wouldn't mind giving it another shot for fun.

Maybe to help monetize you should do a youtube series on making the game you are going to work on

So the first module was about Development Practice and involved a lot of critical reflection with the aim of setting personal goals. It included a couple of rapid ideation sessions to fuel this reflection where we had two weeks to build a prototype based on a theme (essentially a game jam). I've decided to use Godot to make these mini games and we had to make videos of them. These are the videos:

(unfortunately there was some bug with Godot when spawning and scaling particle effects when moving the camera leading to the flashes you see..)

They were 100% done by myself, as one of my goals is to also get better at drawing and animation. Programming is my main skill, but I think if I want to be a serious game developer I need to branch out a bit! Although we had two weeks to work on each they were only really done in one week due to my other commitments, so in all I was quite happy with the result.

The assessment involved maintaining a critical reflection journal in the university platform and creating a 10 minute video presenting the journal, rapid ideation and goals. The quality of the games themselves were not evaluated as they were just the means to an end. I got 76 in 100, so not too shabby! The feedback was very encouraging too!

The next module begins this week and now I'll have to create a full game (or vertical slice of one) in 3 months. I'm thinking in using Unity this time.

@eastmen this course does not really teach you anything technical directly. We have no formal classes. It's pretty much on the student to do their own learning with support and guidance from tutors. The actual learning content is a bit more academic, as in what are games made of (some of it might be common sense..), how everything comes together, etc. But there are no drawing classes, Unity classes, etc. For me it's a mix of getting that theoretical knowledge together with having an incentive to keep going, as most of the technical knowledge I could probably get myself without it. It's also good to network with other like minded people. So your mileage may vary depending on what you are looking for. If you are only looking for technical skills it's not the best. Some people have already dropped because of that.

Last edited:
Do you though, most people working in game development do a single task (unless you want to be a 1 man band)
Game Developer is not the same thing as Game Programmer, if that's what you are thinking. As we learned recently, the concept of Game Developer does indeed involve being able to work or have knowledge in several different areas. Even if you do not do all the work yourself, as a Game Developer you should be able to discuss all matters of Game Development with your team, because if you have that title you are usually in a leadership / manager role and/or are the one who had the initial idea, along with your specific task. For example, I might have an idea for the art style I want. While that does not mean I will do all the art, being able to draw will help me better communicate with an artist than just using words. Having a skill does not necessarily mean that you will do the work, but it helps in order ways!

Keep in mind also that I'm doing an Indie Game Development course, I'm not aiming for AAA. Small teams usually have a lot of overlap, they can't afford to have people just doing one thing!

I'm half way through my new course project and made a video of it. The game is called Nutri Mayhem and I plan to eventually release it for mobile.

It's a sort of action puzzle game based around nutrition. The objective is to fill each nutrition bar as much as possible by the time the calorie intake is full, without getting sick. Each turn has two phases. Phase One is food selection. After selection the Phase Two begins where the player has to quickly drag spheres to the correct hole. If a sphere drops down the vortex it increases the sick bar. Eventually the nutrition bars will be too full and won't accept more spheres of that type so they will fall in the vortex. So the player has to make smart choices. It will have several levels based on nutrition requirements by age and with different food types.

Demo is online!
Nutri Mayhem Demo

Released it as WebGL so doesn't require installation, but final product is to be submitted as a Windows application. WebGL seems to work decently in Android phones, but for some reason touches are a hit and miss on iOS.

Desktop browser works fine in window mode, but full screen has issues with mouse input for some reason.

Mouse hover input obviously doesn't work well on mobile and the closest thing is a small swipe/drag over. To be updated if I make native mobile versions of it, as well as haptic feedback to improve usability.

I will share a survey sometime next week in case anyone wants to find me feedback!

Doesnt seem to work properly in opera i can only see half the screen
View attachment 11161
ps: that music is annoying as hell.
Can't you zoom out in the browser? Unfortunately, while I can set resolution on code with the desktop version so it fits the screen, the same is not true for WebGL. I could try and mess about with JavaScript, but honestly don't have time as I have to deliver it this Friday (as a desktop application) plus a 5 minute video and 2000 word essay. Thanks anyway!

Yes I have to set the zoom to 50% my res is 3840x1200 dont know if that matters since my browser doesnt run fullscreen, i run it in a window

Back