Is VR going to die because of no software?

I just spend 60 dollars due to Psvr sale in US PSN :(

And there's still a bunch of games I want to buy, waiting for another sale.

This is getting more expensive than my usual game spending

IMO 3D TV failed because it was a crappy downgrade from theater 3D:
-much, much, much smaller screen
-ghosting (or)
-interlacing
-worse sound quality (if you had neighbours)

You could get the vastly superior original experience also a lot sooner, as well as cheaper (tickets VS buying a 3D BD)

VR does not have this problem; PSVR IS the real deal, there simply is no better way to experience RE7 for example.

It failed because no one wants to wear extra equipment on their head when relaxing. It's the reason why people dislike glasses and prefer contacts.

It is.

Except for a novelty of 1 screen out of 24 screens, its all 2D here.

You are talking about Cinemark Valley View, correct? Did you mean they only have 1 capable 3D screen, or that in the programming only 1 screen in the whole complex shows a 3D movie?

The website appears to be offline, but we can clear this up really soon.

It is.

You are talking about Cinemark Valley View, correct? Did you mean they only have 1 capable 3D screen, or that in the programming only 1 screen in the whole complex shows a 3D movie?
Theatrical 3D is actually alive and well, especially in third world countries like China and Russia, it's just that it's February and most movies are 2D only.

Not a great comparison btw, putting on 3D glasses in theater once a month for a few hours isn't as much of a hardle as regularly playing in VR.

It is.

That mirrors things here as well, although it depends on the movie. One theater with 20 screens currently has 2 used for 3D. The most telling thing, however, is the first few days of a movie showing, including opening night. The 2D version of a movie will usually be sold out on opening night. It's usually really easy to get a ticket for the 3D version of the same movie as it very rarely sells out.

At least in my area, people mostly prefer the 2D experience to the 3D experience.

Just out of curiosity, I took a look at one of the larger cities in the US, Los Angeles. And looked at Resident Evil: The Final Chapter.

http://www.fandango.com/los+angeles_+ca_movietimes

Regal LA
  • 3 showings with 3D
  • 2 showings with 2D.
Cinemark Baldwin Hills
  • 3 showings with 3D
  • 5 showings with 2D
AMC Century City 15
  • 2 showings with 3D
  • 3 showings with 2D
Cinemark 18 & XD
  • 2 showings with 3D
  • 5 showings with 2D
AMC Universal Citywalk
  • 2 Showings in 3D
  • 5 Showings in 2D
AMC Burbank
  • 4 showings in 3D
  • 6 showings in 2D
That's not even counting the many many theaters in that area that don't even bother with 3D. And looking at the release of XXX: The Return of Xander Cage? That's even worse, the above theaters didn't even bother with a 3D version. In the first 10 pages that I looked through, only 3 theaters bothered with a 3D version of XXX. And only 2 theaters had Resident Evil 3D on more screens than the 2D version, and one of those was an IMAX theater which specializes in 3D.

Yeah, it's safe to say the vast majority of people prefer then 2D experience to the 3D experience in theaters. At least in the US. Just a rough ballpark estimate of the total showings of Resident Evil in the LA area, I'd guess somewhere around 10-20% of showings of a major 3D movie release was actually available in 3D. XXX was probably in the area of 2-5% of available showings being in 3D.

Regards,
SB

3D TV being ditched completely by all manufacturers surprised me quite a lot actually. Especially as some new TVs were insanely good at it, and also with a lot of discs being released in 3D.

The only way I can explain it is that no one believes in discs anymore and they see those dying too.

3D cinema is still huge even though it's not really "needed".

Then again, 3D isn't needed just as much as HDR isn't needed, or 4K/8k isn't needed.

So *shrug* whatever they decide, we'll just have to take it, or keep TVs from up to 2016 in order to see 3D films. Personally I haven't done that in years as I haven't played a bluray movie in years.

Can't find clear numbers but it appears 10% of movies made are 3D. 3D ticket takings are apparently 20% of all box office takings. Look into those numbers and they kinda conflict...

I don't want to sound condescending towards people who have a 3DTV at home, but the experience is extremely underwhelming. My brother-in-law owns a LG 65C6V, which is arguably the largest, as well as best 3DTV in existence, but comparing it to his cheap ass 600 euro Acer projector from 2012, everybody agrees that the acer comes out on top every time. 3D on a small screen (the LG is 65 inch) is not worth it IMO. Even sub-1000 euro projectors have better 3D experiences. I can completely understand manufacturers dropping consumer 3D.

Took a date to a 3D movie once and ended up not getting laid because it made her hurt. I'd like to think it was the movie's fault anyway.

Tried the hobbit in 3d on my tv and halfway through switched to the 2d version. Having to wear crappy glasses isn't relaxing at all, it didn't "feel" nice to my eyes and I found the whole 3d effect to be underwhelming as well.

I can imagine movies in VR would be a lot better but I can completely understand 3D being dropped from consumer tvs.

I hate how in 3D you have to continuously adjust your focus and how the periphery gets way too blurry to easily, at least for me. Gives me headaches and I just think it all looks a bit out of focus, drives me nuts. :(

USA may impose a 20% tariff on goods manufactured in China.
What impact will the likely 20% tariff and 20% jump in sticker price in the biggest gaming market USA going to do to on growth of Chinese manufactured VR hardware from Sony, HTC and Occulus?

Can the manufacturing be shifted to somewhere else so only a 10% tariff is applied?

USA may impose a 20% tariff on goods manufactured in China.
What impact will the likely 20% tariff and 20% jump in sticker price in the biggest gaming market USA going to do to on growth of Chinese manufactured VR hardware from Sony, HTC and Occulus?

Can the manufacturing be shifted to somewhere else so only a 10% tariff is applied?
Kill it deader than it already is? Make it even more expensive and niche? I dunno.

I still like 3D a lot, but especially for Pixar like movies. something like Despicable Me 2 is just amazing. VR is much better still and I wish 3D blu-ray watching in VR as possible already. But it won't be for everything. This won't go away though, it is just getting started and already amazing.

Fruit Ninja VR is good fun by the way ... I really want my VR version of Move Fitness now or something that builds on it! (it had a dual katana exercise where you had to smash plates flying at you, great stuff)

Back