Is this possible

JaylumX

Newcomer
A few questions to quench my curiosity

1. Is there a PCI/PCI-E card that has an HDMI input?

2. If so, will it allow me to connect my PS3 to it and display images (Bluray or Gaming) effedctively treating my PC as a receiver?

3. If the PS3 is set to internally decode TrueHD and DTS-MA to PCM and send to the PC through the HDMI input of the PCI/PCI-E card, will my ASUS Essence STX then be able to decode that PCM stream so i can hear it through my headphones

4. If the original DTS-MA or TrudHD was 24bit @ 192khz (extreme case scenario for example) will it be unmolested

5. If all of the above is yes then please provide links

I hope the questions i have asked is explicit in describing to you what i want to do

Cheers

EDIT: Shoot, bloody HDCP :devilish:

Thanks for your time fellas. I was at work and websense prevented me from viewing the searches for answers. Was hoping to get reply before getting home. Now that i am home, did a search.....again, bloody HDCP.

I Suppose they have to protect their work :cry:

Cheers anyways fellas for it was a good dream

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea, HDCP will pretty much guarantee there will never be HDMI (or any other digital video standard) inputs on consumer-level gear. I hear there's framegrab equipment that accepts digital video (there's links and stuff in the image quality thread on the console tech forum), but it probably costs bazillions. And it's probably a stand-alone device also I'd think, as opposed to a simple add-in board.

I also heard of some German device that could strip HDCP from a DVI signal. Not sure if it still works, still is produced, where to buy it or any other details though. Even if it's still available, assuming its manufacturer hasn't been sued into oblivion by Big Business, it's probably too clunky and expensive to consider.

HDCP is a biatch. As Grall already said.

Links just to prove HDCP is a Biatch.

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/intensity/

Add the incredible quality of HDMI to your computer. Intensity features the latest HDMI technology for the highest quality capture and playback on Windows™ or Mac OS X™ computers. Now you can edit using big-screen HDMI televisions and video projectors, or capture uncompressed quality from HDV cameras all for only $199.

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/intensity/techspecs/

For legal reasons, capture devices from Blackmagic Design are designed not to capture, convert or transmit video or audio from copy-protected sources, e.g. video devices using HDCP.

It's fine for capturing from devices that don't use HDCP tho' ???? Are there any?

Back