Is this possible

Discussion in 'PC Hardware, Software and Displays' started by JaylumX, Jan 29, 2010.

1. JaylumX

Newcomer

A few questions to quench my curiosity

1. Is there a PCI/PCI-E card that has an HDMI input?

2. If so, will it allow me to connect my PS3 to it and display images (Bluray or Gaming) effedctively treating my PC as a receiver?

3. If the PS3 is set to internally decode TrueHD and DTS-MA to PCM and send to the PC through the HDMI input of the PCI/PCI-E card, will my ASUS Essence STX then be able to decode that PCM stream so i can hear it through my headphones

4. If the original DTS-MA or TrudHD was 24bit @ 192khz (extreme case scenario for example) will it be unmolested

5. If all of the above is yes then please provide links

I hope the questions i have asked is explicit in describing to you what i want to do

Cheers

EDIT: Shoot, bloody HDCP :evil:

Thanks for your time fellas. I was at work and websense prevented me from viewing the searches for answers. Was hoping to get reply before getting home. Now that i am home, did a search.....again, bloody HDCP.

I Suppose they have to protect their work :sad:

Cheers anyways fellas for it was a good dream

#1 JaylumX, Jan 29, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2010
  2. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

Yea, HDCP will pretty much guarantee there will never be HDMI (or any other digital video standard) inputs on consumer-level gear. I hear there's framegrab equipment that accepts digital video (there's links and stuff in the image quality thread on the console tech forum), but it probably costs bazillions. And it's probably a stand-alone device also I'd think, as opposed to a simple add-in board.

I also heard of some German device that could strip HDCP from a DVI signal. Not sure if it still works, still is produced, where to buy it or any other details though. Even if it's still available, assuming its manufacturer hasn't been sued into oblivion by Big Business, it's probably too clunky and expensive to consider.

3. 2senile

Regular

HDCP is a biatch. As Grall already said.

Links just to prove HDCP is a Biatch.

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/intensity/

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/intensity/techspecs/

It's fine for capturing from devices that don't use HDCP tho' ???? Are there any?

4. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Prosumer and Professional video cameras can feature HDMI outputs.

Regards,
    SB

5. Blazkowicz

Legend Veteran

you have to crack or bypass the DRM.