Can someone solve this Im tired HDMI HDCP switch

Sxotty

Legend
Edit: It fixed itself maybe. I haven't tested swapping back and forth between inputs but for now I am too tired to invest more effort into it. Have a good weekend everyone.

Hey Everyone. Given this whole stay at home situation I wanted to be able to use my monitor with my laptop from work and keep my desktop hooked up as well.

It is an old Dell 22" monitor with DVI and VGA and nothing else.

I thought no problem I will just pull out a DVI to HDMI adapter and use a monoprice HDMI switch. The issue is that certain things are just black. The GOG launcher for example. The laptop seems fine.

My desktop has an old nvidia 950. It says that the connection is HDCP capable. I disconnected the switch and connected straight from nvidia 950 HDMI port to the DVI adapter in the back of the screen and I get the same result so I don't think it is the switch. The control panel still says HDCP capacble and shows a lock symbol. I know I can google for a long time and maybe figure it out, but I would really appreciate it if someone just knows what I need to do, or if I need to give up and decide whether unplugging the display every day is something I want to do.

And yes I plan to get a new display but I have been trying to wait until I could get VRR and HDR for a reasonable price which seems like may be this year if I just buy a TV in the fall, but we are not there yet.

Last edited:
As always it sort of fixed itself. I restarted it and now it seems to work directly connected or through switch... BAH!!! anyway maybe it won't do the switch back and forth. I will find that out in the future, but at least it works as far as I can tell now.

what ever you do dont buy a hdmi to vga cable there is no way they can possibly work hdmi is digital only and vga is analog only
hdmi to dvi works

Hdmi to vga works just fine. The cable have a computer (SoC?) that convert digital to analog.
Yup. I just did one a really stupid computer fix with a HDMI to vga adapter and it worked fine. A lot of older prebuilts with onboard graphics have HDMI and VGA outputs, and when the VGA goes bad they need to use the HDMI but don't want to buy a new monitor.

It works.

I could probably find a dvi to vga adapter in a box somewhere and then find a vga cable and hook desktop up that way, but I would rather it just worked with the switch. Annoying I can't disable the hdcp but whatever.

I could probably find a dvi to vga adapter in a box somewhere and then find a vga cable and hook desktop up that way, but I would rather it just worked with the switch. Annoying I can't disable the hdcp but whatever.

IIRC DVI to VGA only works if the DVI output have DVI-I too instead of only DVI-D. Some DVI port have DVI-I and -D compatible port but only supports DVI-D.

Back