Is it possible that Halo3 is already done?

Leave alone Halo3, no XB360 game would have been completed 8 months ago. If PS3 was MS's targeted Halo3 launch date, wouldn't Bungie be working tirelessly round the clock trying to make it as impressive as possible (graphics, physics, AI, story etc)....afterall it is their the "Title" and best bet this generation, instead of sitting idle for so long.

Deepak said:
Leave alone Halo3, no XB360 game would have been completed 8 months ago. If PS3 was MS's targeted Halo3 launch date, wouldn't Bungie be working tirelessly round the clock trying to make it as impressive as possible (graphics, physics, AI, story etc)....afterall it is their the "Title" and best bet this generation, instead of sitting idle for so long.

Quoted for truth!

Isn't that list in the screenshot (from team360) what Gamestop has sitting in a folder in almost every store so people can look at upcoming release dates? it looks pretty much exactly like the ones I've seen.

I'm not sure why it was worth posting, and doesn't exactly show anything that Average Joe can't find by walking into the nearest Gamestop.

I say bs. There's no way that Bungie is gonna use the Halo 2 engine for Halo 3. One person said that Bungie said it was too advanced for xbox and all but the MC in the retail version of H2 looks like the MC in that E3 2003 video and that teaser trailer. If anything Halo 3's engine is being built to take advantage of the 360, and its pretty much manditory that they make a new engine b/c there's no way MS would allow their flagship game not to look better than some of the PS3's games.

The story was probably done back when Halo 2 was still in developement. If anything Halo 3 will just be Halo 2's second half. With the ATVs and other things promised back when H2 was in hype mode.

Whilst shopping around last minute for Christmas gifts last night at the mall here in Carlsbad, CA. I saw an advertisement posted in front of a store for Halo 3.

It wasn't some dry erase board that had been marked up by a store employee, it was an actual printed standee type display, vertically oriented, with the 'Halo 3' logo and the Xbox 360 logo at the bottom... I believe it said coming in 2006, but I only got a passing glance at it because I was in a rush, and I had other things on my mind at the time.

Anyways, isn't it common knowledge that the game will be released at the PS3 launch, and not timed to release with the movie?

That was always the plan, as I understood it.

It would make little to no sense for MS to pass up the opportunity to take a shot at the PS3 with their biggest gun, just to tie in the launch of the game with the movie. For one thing, the game is going to be a multi million seller on it's own (assuming the user base is there at that time) and will likely out gross the film.

Also, with the 'Halo' franchise being so well established, I think it would be more of a risk to wait until the movie arrives to release the game, because the movie might not live up to expectations and then end up dragging the 'Halo' name through the mud… Which could result in MS actually losing sales that they otherwise would not have lost.

Bill Gates' comment was... explained by another company rep as being a hypothetical situation. Bungie will release whatever game they are working on when they are done.

Can't believe people missed that bit of news explaining Bill Gates' comment:
http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/halo3/news.html?sid=6134935

"Halo [3] is something we'll ship when it's ready." He explained his boss's comments by saying, "Philosophically, the point Bill was trying to make is that we're not just going to ship and not have great stuff coming up. We don't know when Sony will ship PS3. They've said spring. What we do know is that the way our portfolio lines up, we're going to have great exclusive content."

And that "3" logo is essentially the "2" reflected across the horizontal axis. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't believe people missed that bit of news explaining Bill Gates' comment:

Nice of you to word it that way,

Anyhow, since Bill Gates is pretty much calling the shots on this one, if he wants it out at PS3 launch, that's when it will release.

And that "3" logo is essentially the "2" reflected across the horizontal axis.

What are you trying to say, that Halo 3 will be Halo 2 part 2? or that Halo 2 will be released in 2006? ;)

Or are you implying that it's not an official standee, but something doctored up by the retailer to bring in pre-orders? Like I said, I did not get more than a passing glance at it, so it very well could have been a home-brew.

Sean*O said:
Nice of you to word it that way,

I mean in general. Not targeted at you or anything. Sorry if it seemed that way.

edit: oh... yeah sorry, didn't mean for it to sound sarcastic. It was genuine shock because I thought people interested in Halo 3 would have noticed news... about Halo 3 :LOL:

Or are you implying that it's not an official standee, but something doctored up by the retailer to bring in pre-orders? Like I said, I did not get more than a passing glance at it, so it very well could have been a home-brew.

Yup. halo.bungie.org had the picture posted awhile back for all to see. It was clearly a photo-chopped "2" to look like a "3" for store pre-orders. It's not an official standee.

Also, nothing's been announced by Bungie, and I would take their word over even Microsoft's word.

DO i think halo3 is done, nope. but i think all the hard work has already been done. they did say they were working on halo 3 the ame time as halo 2. but how much of it.

by now i think they have the story (probably another cliff hanger that will conclude in the movie or vice versa) hopefully peter jackson can put his input into the games cinimatics scenes, would be kinda pissed to see the movie and have to buy the game to conclude the story hahaha (reminds me of back 2 the future 2-3)

I also beleive they have the art, they have the hi-res models, they have the level layout design. and maybe most or some of the enviroments. i think all they need to do is get things organized and put together. put some polish on it. and spend a good 2 months play testing and brainstorming the hell out of it as well as work out the netcoding which might take awhile. becuase you can bet as soon as this one hits Xbox Live is gonna swell up like a balloon.

AW0L said:
by now i think they have the story (probably another cliff hanger that will conclude in the movie or vice versa) hopefully peter jackson can put his input into the games cinimatics scenes, would be kinda pissed to see the movie and have to buy the game to conclude the story hahaha (reminds me of back 2 the future 2-3)

Peter Jackson?

Dr Evil said:
Umm you either don't know who Peter Jackson is ( which would be REALLY strange) or you didn't know that he is the producer of the Halo movie.

Certainly didn't (to the latter). A quick google later and he does appear to be executive producer. Well I never.

They're using the same guys who made all the props in LotR. At least the weapons and armour should look good. :)

Alstrong said:
At least the weapons and armour should look good. :)

VFX will be done by Weta Digital, so the CG should be good too. Although most of the Kong crew have already left NZ, but that's how it goes in this industry; as long as the key personel remain, it'll be allright.

Back