Is it possible that Halo3 is already done?

scooby_dooby said:
IMO, that would be seen as total cheese by most Halo fans, we don't need no stinkin movie, just give us the sequal to one of th most popular video games ever made...thx.

You want a sequal to Tetris? Or is it pong?

scooby_dooby said:
What's not rocket science is the fact that Halo 2 without any movie, became the #1 best selling game EVER on it's first day. EVER!

They don't need to tie in with anything, and it would not be a compelling reason to delay the game to match up with the movie.

IMO, that would be seen as total cheese by most Halo fans, we don't need no stinkin movie, just give us the sequal to one of th most popular video games ever made...thx.

Scooby it's called marketing. Halo 3 in the summer of 2006 could sell 3 million in six months, while Halo 3 in 2007 would most definetly sell more due to the movie coming out. Also remember that if Halo 3 came out next summer it would still basically be a first gen game and will be sold on a console that still has a growing fanbase.

I pray to God that MS releases Halo3 close to the date that the movie comes out. *gets on knees*

scooby_dooby said:
I didn't realize pong generated $125 million in a single day. 2.4 million copies sold in one day.

Your quote:"just give us the sequal to one of th most popular video games ever made"

Pong and Tetris are orders of magnitude more popular than Halo. It doesn't matter if Halo made a trillion dollars on day one. Ask most people to name a game and the first thing to pop in their heads is pong, tetris or a mario varient.

there's more to gaming than the Xbox. Furthermore, the popularity of pong and tetris was not inflated with hype, people (LOTS OF PEOPLE) enjoyed playing it due to the simplicity and novelty at the time. There are people playing tetris to this day. Do you think Halo will be just as popular in 10 years time?

drpepper said:
Your quote:"just give us the sequal to one of the most popular video games ever made"

Pong and Tetris are orders of magnitude more popular than Halo. It doesn't matter if Halo made a trillion dollars on day one. Ask most people to name a game and the first thing to pop in their heads is pong, tetris or a mario varient.

there's more to gaming than the Xbox. Furthermore, the popularity of pong and tetris was not inflated with hype, people (LOTS OF PEOPLE) enjoyed playing it due to the simplicity and novelty at the time. There are people playing tetris to this day. Do you think Halo will be just as popular in 10 years time?

I dunno, do people still remember goldeneye? I think they do. Halo will be remembered as the game that really brought FPS's to the console, it does have a place in video game history whetehr you like it or not.

Ask people who grew up as children in the 80's and they'll probably say pong or mario, is this a surprise? In 20 years, ask the people who grew up in the 90's, or 2000's to name a game and they will say MGS, GTA or Halo.

I really can't believe you are trying to argue this point, no game ever sold this many copies on day 1. You say Day 1 doesn't matter? Halo 1 & 2 have sold 12.8million copies and counting (as of last january btw), it was the 2nd most popular video game in 2004 beaten only by the most popular video game series on any console last generation: Grand Theft Auto.

Halo IS one of the most popular video games ever made and it has the sales numbers to back it up. Like it or not!

Seliing a million copies on day 1 has little to do with the popularity as it is limited to the Xbox demographic. Tetris on the other hand is not console limited. It's been played by millions more people compared to Halo. And loved by millions more.

You can't use dollars and cents to compare to as inflation and marketing has a huge role in terms of a dollar figure. they were not on equal footing.

But as a game, tetris will always be popular with the mainstream. It's simple, accessible and not bound to any one platform. hence its success with the mainstream. Whether you like it or not Tetris is THE most popular video game in the world.

RancidLunchmeat said:
The movie has absolutely nothing to do with anything. Nobody who isn't already a Halo fan will be wanting to see the movie. And the movie isn't going to convince anybody who isn't already a Halo fan to go out and buy a X360 and Halo 3.

Like someone else said earlier, this isn't King Kong.

Yet it'll probably be marketed with slogans like "From the creators of King Kong and Lord of the Rings..." and I'm quite sure that it'll be presented as a summer blockbuster, instead of yet another video game based movie. Everything we've heard about it so far suggests it.

drpepper said:
Seliing a million copies on day 1 has little to do with the popularity as it is limited to the Xbox demographic. Tetris on the other hand is not console limited. It's been played by millions more people compared to Halo. And loved by millions more.

You can't use dollars and cents to compare to as inflation and marketing has a huge role in terms of a dollar figure. they were not on equal footing.

But as a game, tetris will always be popular with the mainstream. It's simple, accessible and not bound to any one platform. hence its success with the mainstream. Whether you like it or not Tetris is THE most popular video game in the world.

That's fine. I said halo was ONE of the most popular games ever made, not THE most.

Can you find any real examples, like lets say a game NOT made in the 80's?

What do you think would be more highly anticipated now in the year 2005? A sequal to halo, or a sequal to Tetris?

Laa-Yosh said:
Yet it'll probably be marketed with slogans like "From the creators of King Kong and Lord of the Rings..." and I'm quite sure that it'll be presented as a summer blockbuster, instead of yet another video game based movie. Everything we've heard about it so far suggests it.

And that's what I hope they do. They should try to sell an extra 1 or 2 million Halo games by selling it near the Halo movie release date. It's sounds so simple.

how does that sell any more games than if they release halo in holiday 06, and the movie comes out in 2007?

They don't need to be released at the same time, that's a gimmick, and honestly in my opinion the franchise is better than that.

It would be like GT5 releasing with a simultaneous "GT: The Movie" it's cheeseball stuff that is totally uncalled for.

I think the idea they're doing a movie at all is a little cheesy, but whatever it does have a pretty wicked story. But if they try and do the whole cross-promotion thing, well that will just be lame. Not saying it won't happen, but it would be a stupid decision made by marketing suits

scooby_dooby said:
how does that sell any more games than if they release halo in holiday 06, and the movie comes out in 2007?

They don't need to be released at the same time, that's a gimmick, and honestly in my opinion the franchise is better than that.

It would be like GT5 releasing with a simultaneous "GT: The Movie" it's cheeseball stuff that is totally uncalled for.

I think the idea they're doing a movie at all is a little cheesy, but whatever it does have a pretty wicked story. But if they try and do the whole cross-promotion thing, well that will just be lame. Not saying it won't happen, but it would be a stupid decision made by marketing suits

Call it a gimmick if you want I call it marketing genius. Do you think a 2006 summer Halo will sell more than a 2007 (more fine, more tuned, more graphical punch) Halo? Do you think King Kong the game is cheesy? If you do why? Why is it just because it comes out within weeks of the movie's release it's automatically cheesy?

Notice I didn't say the game was made in-line step for step with the movie.

So you would have no problem with Sony holding off on MGS4 until 2008 so they could launch it the same time as "Solid Snake: The Movie"?

Tell me you don't see how pathetic that would be.

And no, I don't think Kong is cheezy, it's a game based off a movie. Not a movie based off a game. And it's great game at that. The problem I have is taking an existing franchise and trying to exploit it by doing a movie-tie-in, especially when that game can more than stand on it's own 2 legs.

I dunno, I think Halo 3 comes out when it's ready. If that in time for the PS3 US launch then that's great for MS (and me) if not then whatever. But I really hope they don't set any sort of timeline with regards to the movie, that would just be stupid.

scooby_dooby said:
So you would have no problem with Sony holding off on MGS4 until 2008 so they could launch it the same time as "Solid Snake: The Movie"?

Tell me you don't see how pathetic that would be.

And no, I don't think Kong is cheezy, it's a game based off a movie. Not a movie based off a game. And it's great game at that. The problem I have is taking an existing franchise and trying to exploit it by doing a movie-tie-in, especially when that game can more than stand on it's own 2 legs.

I dunno, I think Halo 3 comes out when it's ready. If that in time for the PS3 US launch then that's great for MS (and me) if not then whatever. But I really hope they don't set any sort of timeline with regards to the movie, that would just be stupid.

Well that depends on if that was the intial plans or not. I wouldn't want Hideo to push back the release date if he gets an offer at the 2006 E3 show. But if it was in the works the whole time what can I say?

Well,well,well....
hi,everyone, I'm an admin from www.Team360.cn:lol:

Thanks to google, I found this thread ...I wonder how can "Mr. rtt" read Chinese...well, I can read and write in English anyway...

Eleazar said:
Firsty of all, who is they? Who said it was done already?

OK, dont ask such silly questions, guys...Who we are? We are HARD-CORE XBOX Gamers...hoho
We add mod-chips to our boxes...we addict to Halo and other titles all day along...we hold xbox gamers' party almost every month...we setup many top-rated xbox game fansites (yes,team360.cn is not the first/last)...We even translated official Halo novel trilogy (FoR/TF/FS) into chinese, which have been published here in China already...In China, it's did exist a huge video gamer base...
In one word, we did Much More than most xbox owners in this world, which made us be proud of.

Back to the topic, "Who said it was done already?"
OK, we've got a source inside MS redmond... believe or not, let me explain things further

As Eleazar said,"it could be possible that a large portion of the developing is done", yes, "They said that MS has finished the development of Halo 3 8 months ago"...
As to "I doubt they consider it to be GOLD yet" -- Because the key point is "HALO 3 is ready for PS3"...
Think over the ending of halo2...think over why Gamespot give Halo3 the release date of "2006Q2"...think over what Mr.Bill said in TIME magazine's interview...PS3 is the "true evil" who would be shoot down by MasterChief.

OK, it's "From China with Love"...:D Here's another proof of our source...more to come...we know a lot of interesting things of what happened on xbox and what's going on on 360...keep checking www.team360.cn...if only you can read chinese...:cool:

releaseinfo3xu.jpg

Team360 said:
Back to the topic, "Who said it was done already?"
OK, we've got a source inside MS redmond... believe or not, let me explain things further

As Eleazar said,"it could be possible that a large portion of the developing is done", yes, "They said that MS has finished the development of Halo 3 8 months ago"...
As to "I doubt they consider it to be GOLD yet" -- Because the key point is "HALO 3 is ready for PS3"...
Think over the ending of halo2...think over why Gamespot give Halo3 the release date of "2006Q2"...think over what Mr.Bill said in TIME magazine's interview...PS3 is the "true evil" who would be shoot down by MasterChief.

So that's your proof that Halo 3 has been ready for quite a some time now... Doesn't sound very credible to me, infact that is ridiculous proof, yippee! yet a another stupid internet rumour

Back