Is it possible Broadway CPU is the 970FX or 970GX?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flux

Regular
I was thinking these CPUs can offer the comparable performance with low wattage. I don't believe the IGN specifications at all,too many inregularities.
I mean 50W on a 789MHz 750CL more like 7W? What about $250 pricetag? Thier markup cannot be that large. Another wierd irregularity is that Broadway was finished in may of 2006 and mass produced in september 2006, if it was a higher clocked Gekko why release so late. I believe IBM is not incompetant or unefficient and know how to build thier products. Even if said product was manufactured in 2000.Just doesn't sound right.

I am not saying IGN is lying or IGN sources are "making news", but what do you have thats official?

I mean if Nintendo wants a cheaper machine they can use the 970FX(built in 2004) and save the time and money on rebuilding a 1999 chip for 2006-2007to compete(yes nintendo calls Sony and Microsoft competitors)with new tech.A PowerPC 970FX (@ 1.6GHz 16W) and a small quiet fan is not that expensive.

The company already has a strong grip on certain sectors. It makes the processors for all three of the top gaming consoles: Sony Computer Entertainment's PlayStation 3, Microsoft's Xbox 360 and Nintendo's Wii. These improved chips could help it reach even further.
IBM's 750 CL is a 32-bit chip running at 400MHz to 1GHz, and is intended for high-performance embedded applications, including consumer electronics, storage and imaging. The 970GX supports both 32-bit and 64-bit applications running from 1,2GHz to 2,5GHz, making it appropriate for applications in high-bandwidth data processing or algorithmic computation

http://www.power.org/news/pr/view?item_key=50ed75d3c4654f47d01db4367786d5d55a736f70

The PowerPC 970GX, a follow-on to the PowerPC 970FX, supports both 32-bit and 64-bit operations. It features the same power capabilities as its predecessor, but incorporates twice the integrated L2 cache at 1MB. The range of frequencies for the 970GX is 1.2 to 2.5GHz, enabling the chip to support high-bandwidth data processing and algorithmic intensive computations, making it suitable for communications, storage, multimedia and graphics based devices.

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,2023931,00.asp

Oh and hi everyone nice board!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back