Is Gears of War worth purchasing an X360 for? *fixed

What a ridiculous statement. 90% of the games on 360 are not available on PC, so no, not even close.

Plugging you controller in your PC gives you a 360 sure....a gimped 360, which can play a tiny fraction of it's game library.

The original question was will the Wii be funner, well that depends on the types of games you enjoy, the PC is a completely different experience than either, and does not have anywhere near the diversity of nextgen games available for 360.

It's a given that Skrying has taken rather a pro PC stance with the argument and why not? It's kinda where it all began. The 360 is the next Xbox, which was a simple IBM type PC. A few added ingredients and you have a relatively cheap box for the front room. Bring on the online software support and suddenly you have a gaming platform that has that little bit extra. Not so fragmented just all together and concise. Now you have the 360, same experience, more up to date with the current PC quality visually, but does it really add anything extra? Where have all the big name engines come from for the 360? (ID, Valve, Epic)

Imagine an equivalent to Xbox Live being launched for the PC community (not that it needs it currently). What would that do?

I personally love the console experience and I have done since my VCS2600 and probably, at this stage, am getting a little jaded by all the 'advancements' to date. But, in answer to the original topic, buy a 360 for GOW? Naah. Just use a friends like mine do. It's a good game and even more fun when you go multiplayer, it even looks really nice. But it's still Time Crisis with bigger guns and a few extra bits. Never worth spending £320+ for 48 hours pleasure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seeing as you seem to like football, I would really recommend you get Wii and Madden 07 for it. You'll get a whole lot more hours out of the franchise mode of Madden than ever with the gears of war single player. And yes, Madden 07 for wii is a lot better game than Madden 07 for 360, hands down. The controls more than make up for the difference in graphics. You just have that much more control. Stiff arming with the remote, point and clicking to select defensive player, throwing controls... you name it, it made me an NFL fan. Trying 360 version after playing the wii version, I feel like I was crippled somehow.

If FPS is what you want though, get 360. FPS controls for the wii are just clumsy so far and with live multiplayer, 360 seems a bit more recommendable. Also in that genre as well as in Racing games, the HD is that much more important. If you're into RTS gaming, lotr2 for 360 is great value if you can still find it.

edit: Oh and if you get the wii, make damn sure you get the component cable too.

Skrying,.... I felt the same too.
However,

How many games on the PC have voice chat? How many guarantee a consistent quality of service? Have you ever wanted to play a game with someone in your IM list? After meeting someone in a match, have you wanted to play them again? Have you wondered how well you do compared to the average gamer? ... It's all very hard to quantify and to justify, loads of little things, but it is worth while.

If those aren't things you are interested in, then thats fine, the 360 is not for you. But it really can't be compared to a PC in a lot of ways

It's a given that Skrying has taken rather a pro PC stance with the argument and why not? It's kinda where it all began. The 360 is the next Xbox, which was a simple IBM type PC. A few added ingredients and you have a relatively cheap box for the front room. Bring on the online software support and suddenly you have a gaming platform that has that little bit extra. Not so fragmented just all together and concise. Now you have the 360, same experience, more up to date with the current PC quality visually, but does it really add anything extra? Where have all the big name engines come from for the 360? (ID, Valve, Epic)

Hardware similarities are pretty irrelevant imo, it's the software that defines a platform.

If those aren't things you are interested in, then thats fine, the 360 is not for you. But it really can't be compared to a PC in a lot of ways

Indeed - Skyring on top of your reply to my last post, I'd say it's fine for you to dislike the 360 and it's games library. However, to recommend to someone else not to buy one, only to say, "those games that you guys have recommended don't appeal to me, hence I don't think Digi should buy one" just seems odd.

Each to their own though. Let us know your decision Digi.

Additionally, you can't pigeon-hole the 360 as a machine with simply GoW and Halo. Like several people have pointed out, there are dozens of different and interesting games you just won't get on the PC. Give me Gears, Dead Rising, Lost Planet, Crackdown, Viva Pinata, Kameo on PC. Can't get them? Suddenly your "PC with a controller" doesn't add up.

Heck, the PC lags across the board in most situations. Take sports... the consoles almost always win here, and by a wide margin. The PC of Madden is still clinging to last gen versions and control scheme you cannot even customize the botton arrangement. Racing games is another genre where consoles are pretty robust in regards to quality and quantity. And entire genres and markets, like the Nintendo/Rare style games, are basically missing from the PC. Traditionally I have been a PC+Nintendo gamer. I have been on that path since the middle 80s. The PC has never been able to fill a number of genres and niches, and the PC is becoming much more constricted in both the number of AAA titles as well as the general number of titles. And with upgrade costs being what they are, and consoles adapting a more aggressive technology curve and adapting a lot of PC technologies, it becomes more and more difficult for me to justify a PC upgrade (MB, CPU, Memory, GPU, Power Supply) every 2 or 3 years to play the next big game. In 2003 I purchased a Radeon 9700 & 2.533GHz Intel CPU and 512MB of memory and had a blast with BF1942, and not much else. As HL2 approached in 2004 I upgraded to a 6800GT, 1 GB memory, and a faster HDD. And then 2005 came and FEAR crapped all over my PC, with Oblivion, GRAW, and so forth laughing at my PC. Crysis looks sweet, but in 2007 my 2.5 year old rig from a GPU/Memory standpoint won't hardly make a dent. Why is it everytime I want to play a new PC game I have to do upgrades that exceed the cost of a PS3?

Consoles now have HDDs, relatively robust memory architectures, output to HD displays, and have extremely robust and user friendly online networks that focus on making a great gaming experience. My only significant gripe are the controls, or more accurately lack of KB/MS support. Wii tries to resolve some of those issues in making intuitive and interactive controls a lower learning curve and more fun, but at this point most games tend to be more "different" than "better". Wiggling the controller back and forth to do the same thing as pushing A on another platform doesn't strike me as intuitive as a gamer but I am not longer Nintendo's core audiance. I also think their design has thus far compromised more traditional/proven design mechanics with the hope new ones will emerge that are better as well as totally new experiences. This MAY happen, but no one knows yet. For me, personally, different is irrelevant. Better is important. The N64 had the analog stick, which was clearly better. The SNES added bumpers and some extra buttons in an easily to access fashion, which was clearly better. The Dualshock had 2 analog sticks and rumble, which was clearly better than the original PS1 controller. These all immediately opened more buttons to interact with the world in new ways as well as new input/output features--while not compromising the tried and true. Wii kind of dumps that paradigm and is finding its way at this point. It absolutely appeals to the masses, but as a gamer who doesn't want "simpler" but wants "better" I have questions. Metroid 3 looks very promising from an FPS perspective, but on the other hand when will you see more killer apps? That is my big dig against Nintendo, one which no one can answer quite yet. The GCN sold equally well in its first few months and still had issues getting robust 3rd party support and Nintendo was just painfully slow bringing software to market. These reasons and 480p with little to no AA really just make me throw my arms up and the Wii launch software didn't get me too excited either. Zelda is a GCN title, so what is there even worth thinking about for more than a minute at $249 + software. I paid that much for the N64 and Mario 64 (one of the best games ever IMO) and $199 for a SNES and SMW (another awesome, ground breaking game with depth and longevity). Then again I don't own a 360 or PS3 either... and do have a PC... sooo...

Dig, it all really comes down to the games you guys want to play now and looking into the future as well as will the hardware meet your immediate needs as well as grow in the direction you, as a game play, see yourself going. You mention your son playing FPS, would he like to do so on a gamepad? Do you guys all want to sit on a couch and play together? Together online? How important is privacy and controls to you as a parent? How does the PC/Wii/PS3/360 fit into this?

Seeing as you seem to like football, I would really recommend you get Wii and Madden 07 for it. You'll get a whole lot more hours out of the franchise mode of Madden than ever with the gears of war single player. And yes, Madden 07 for wii is a lot better game than Madden 07 for 360, hands down. The controls more than make up for the difference in graphics. You just have that much more control. Stiff arming with the remote, point and clicking to select defensive player, throwing controls... you name it, it made me an NFL fan. Trying 360 version after playing the wii version, I feel like I was crippled somehow.

I look at it the exact opposite ;)

IMO The Wii doesn't offer ANYTHING new in on field gameplay, just different ways to do the SAME things -- but not as accurate. Kicking is a great example of how the Wii is a couple steps backwards in regards to the on field action. I would rather hit a button knowing 100% of the time it will do EXACTLY what I want instead of 80% accuracy with shaking the darn remote (which happens with certain jukes). To this point I think the GCN version is better than the Wii version. And probably most condemning is the online situation where the Wii gets a big fat incomplete while the competition is dancing their victory dance in the end zone. Of course to each their own--if Dig likes to shake the controller around he should get a Wii, if graphics, online, and progress in future editions is important then the Wii isn't a very good choice imo--especially if you are looking at a robust library of software instead of a couple titles (I had gotten a GCN knowing I wanted Nintendo games, in particular Mario Kart DD long before it even came out, so what other platforms had didn't even matter to me).

Looking at 2008 and beyond, the question someone buying the Wii for Madden has to ask themselves: Is the Wii going to continue being better in 2008... 2009... 2010?

My bet is in the next 2 or 3 years Madden on the PS3 and 360 will far outpace the development on the Wii because there is a lot of room for improvement in AI and animation, things the Wii is going to be relatively tapped at in comparison to the faster consoles. If Dig is dead serious about football, then he needs to look at what aspects of football appeal to him. As an NFL fan and NFL game fan since the 80s I personally couldn't recommend a Wii to a serious video game/NFL fan. To a more casual fan looking to get into the sport or afraid of a lot of buttons then the Wii is absolutely up their alley.

I agree with anything you say regarding online play, Wii has just about fumbled on that one. fumble mumble, and 360 does the rumble there.

As for the kicking controls, I found the best way to do the kicking is to... believe it or not... act like you would if you were actually kicking the ball and then do the natural hand swinging thing that you would if you were actually kicking a ball :) Yes, that is rediculous.

Haven't tried the gcn version so no comment there. As for future proofing, I would never consider Wii a future proof console. Wii is for right now or maybe for two years ago and still okayish right now. Some games though, are fun. My bet is 2 to 3 years from now we will have an enhanced version of Wii or maybe even a "Wii HD" or something like that.

Well, actually I would recommend getting both the 360 and the wii but I'm not sure if that is an option :)

Temptation for grown-up games after hearing my friends chatting/raving about them on the boards & IRC and such.

Would it be fair to classify the 360 as more of a single-player console? Sounds like most of the good games are "play alone" type ones.

The Wii seems a lot more social, that's the big hurdle I got right now.

Would it be fair to classify the 360 as more of a single-player console? Sounds like most of the good games are "play alone" type ones.

If you mean for offline, I'd say there's been a big wave of single-player or two-player co-op games while Xbox Live is the meat of the multiplayer experience on Xbox 360. Personally, I don't subscribe to XBL because I don't play often enough to warrant any fee, and I find that the number of games to be shared amongst family to be somewhat limited to two people in most cases. Viva Pinata is a great family game, but it's more like a family of two, parent and child. Fuzion Frenzy 2 is pretty much the four player family game of the system unless everyone likes to play Fifa or other sports games. ;)

Temptation for grown-up games after hearing my friends chatting/raving about them on the boards & IRC and such.

The fact is that both systems will offer gaming experiences that are peculiar to each platform right now. There will probably be more overlap as time goes on but for the moment there are things on each console you'll never be able to do on the other. I think you already know what the wii offers and that is certainly enhanced if you have a family.

That said, your choice of 'posterboy' for the 360 is a good one because while there may be debate on how good Gears really is as a game, there's no debate about what it *represents* - the kind of audio/visual smörgåsbord you're not going to find on the wii at any point this generation.

In addition to that the 360's online service is going in directions not even hinted at on the wii, things we will probably never see on the Wii. The friend code thing is a mess imo, so if online gaming is at all important to you its no contest. Also, you should consider the media capabilities of the 360 and see if that adds any value to the equation for you

These consoles are very complimentary to each other, theres no right answer. It you want to experience all this generation will have to offer, in my opinion, you'll need both. :)

360 is becoming a fairly good co-op system as well, Kameo, Gears, Crackdown all support playing 2 player with your friends over live.

Just curious as to the responses, I've been tempted by a few games on the 360 but GoW is definitely the one that grabs me most and has actually made me think of picking up a console just to be able to play it.

I have a 42" plasma, is it worth it to buy a 360 just for the experience of playing GoW on? Any other games that would make it worth it?

GOW is a great way to showcase your plasma, fairly dark game with lots of contrast.

Short but extremely well polished game. Gameplay is TEH BOMB. Once you get a grip on the cover controls movement becomes very fluent and natural.

Lots of replay value in playing on hardcore and insane in co-op, either online or split-screen. I played through with my brother in split-screen co-op, and he absolutely detests console shooters (because he suck at them :) He spent 6 hours looking at the floor or the ceilings in Halo)

Only problem for you would be that you, being a family man, can only play it when the kids are tucked in because of the very graphic violence in this game.

IMO, this and other quality titles (Kameo, Viva Pinata for you kids, Oblivion, GRAW, COD2+3, Lost Planet etc) on the 360 makes it easily worth it.

My only beef with the 360 is that I got one of the wailing banshee DVD drives in mine :-/

Cheers

Buy the 360 for GoW? No, you can play it co-op at a friends in 8-10 hours. I would never play it alone more than once, the gameplay gets repetitive IMO. The duck and shoot is the same from the opening sequence till the end.

I find RS Vegas a more compelling game, more variety and skill.

Don't play Oblivion on the 360 unless you have a low end computer, it's buggy and chugs. It also has a very poor skill/level system that people overlook because they are too busy looking at the shiny graphics.

Nah, I got a pretty good gaming rig. I'm a PC gamer first and fore most, the consoles just tempt me from time to time. :oops:

There are just too many titles that are console only anymore, y'know?

Nah, I got a pretty good gaming rig. I'm a PC gamer first and fore most, the consoles just tempt me from time to time. :oops:

There are just too many titles that are console only anymore, y'know?

Some games just play better on a PC and they are always cheaper. FPS, RTS, etc. You buy a console for exclusives and Live/Co-op games. While games like GRAW and RSV might be on the PC, they play on Live with a friend very well. Games like Oblivion and COD2 are best on the PC, they cheaper and run better. But it is nice not having to install and patch games.

Some games just play better on a PC and they are always cheaper. FPS, RTS, etc. You buy a console for exclusives and Live/Co-op games. While games like GRAW and RSV might be on the PC, they play on Live with a friend very well. Games like Oblivion and COD2 are best on the PC, they cheaper and run better. But it is nice not having to install and patch games.

Plus they do a pretty good job of correcting/booting cheaters on Live too. Side bonus.:D

I used to find the tinkering of pc's to be enjoyable too. Upgrading a cpu / graphics card. Tweaking settings etc. Now I just want to plug and go. Am I just too lazy now?:oops:

Console gaming ftw!:D

The controlled experience and ease of use keeps me in the console space. Generally at the end of a console's life though I start jonesing for better graphics and upgrade my pc accordingly. That usually tides me over for a year or so until the next gen consoles finally roll around.

Back