Is Gears of War worth purchasing an X360 for? *fixed

For the Xbox, I thought PGR2 might have been a must-have game, but I was ultimately disappointed by lack of wheel support - or rather, wheel support on GT4 was so outstanding that it crushed all benefits of the Xbox experience, never mind the accurate Nurburgring, 60fps and other stuff.

PGR2 came out a year and a half before GT4 here in Europe...:rolleyes: Your argument sounds kinda unreasonable to me. Plus Forza Motorsport and Rallisport Challenge 2 were both fantastic games. Xbox was definitely the last-gen console for racing gamers even despite lack of good wheel.

I think the 360's killer app is right now Xbox Live (also with silver account). It enhances gaming experience so much that playing on older consoles feels boring sometimes without messages, demo downloads etc. It has a solid library of games, but the best have definitely yet to come.

Yes!! Especially if you can get a good deal on a 360. I got mines with the microcenter deal. $200 bucks off via rebates. The game is just simply amazing to look at, esp some of the cutscenes.

PGR2 came out a year and a half before GT4 here in Europe...:rolleyes: Your argument sounds kinda unreasonable to me. Plus Forza Motorsport and Rallisport Challenge 2 were both fantastic games. Xbox was definitely the last-gen console for racing gamers even despite lack of good wheel.

Yeah, PGR2 came out before GT4, but I didn't get it at launch. I got the Xbox only after a couple of racing games had come out. However, I was thinking about GT3, which already had great support with the Logitech GT. I've started playing GT with a wheel with GT2, and with GT3 it started to become really, really good. In my mind now there is only GT4, but of course there was GT3 first already and I actually had the wheel before I had the game. So things are a bit blurry. ;)

For me, you cannot be 'the last-gen console for racing gamers' desplite lack of a good wheel. Of course, I am in the minority for general gamers. but probably not for hardcore.

I think the 360's killer app is right now Xbox Live (also with silver account). It enhances gaming experience so much that playing on older consoles feels boring sometimes without messages, demo downloads etc. It has a solid library of games, but the best have definitely yet to come.

Microsoft definitely deserves props for a great Live service. It enhances the social aspect of gaming. I remember the good old days when I used to chat with friends over the phone while playing a game back in 1988, or when I went to computer clubs on Tuesdays (Atari ST back then - that's for instance where I saw Populous first).

You can't go wrong with an X360 and:

Gears of War
Lost Planet
Dead Rising
Project Gotham Racing 3
Oblivion
Splinter Cell: Double Agent
Kameo
Viva Pinata

Season to tastes of course. :)

But wouldn't a Wii be more fun? :|

Your PC does pretty much everything the 360 does (GOW is coming to PC eventually as well) and with a better control scheme to boot. The Wii however is unique. I personally would go with a Wii to replace your Gamecube and simply skip the 360. As a PC gamer it offers nothing unique.

Your PC does pretty much everything the 360 does (GOW is coming to PC eventually as well) and with a better control scheme to boot. The Wii however is unique. I personally would go with a Wii to replace your Gamecube and simply skip the 360. As a PC gamer it offers nothing unique.

Do you have a 360? Because I have both a good PC gaming rig (Core 2 Duo,GF7900GS@640MHz - enough to play at max settings at 1280x1024) and a 360 and I can honestly say that 360 offers something unique. I had very little experience with Wii (I played only Wii Sports and I wasn't too excited about it), so I can't say what is a better choice, but 360 is certainly worth buying (I actually got my for free, though ;) ) even if you have a good PC and will be even more worth later this year.

And do you really consider waiting for a PC release of Gears of War worth it, when you can buy it right now? Microsoft's Xbox games were coming out at least a year later on PC and in some cases even over two years.

Do you have a 360? Because I have both a good PC gaming rig (Core 2 Duo,GF7900GS@640MHz - enough to play at max settings at 1280x1024) and a 360 and I can honestly say that 360 offers something unique. I had very little experience with Wii (I played only Wii Sports and I wasn't too excited about it), so I can't say what is a better choice, but 360 is certainly worth buying (I actually got my for free, though ;) ) even if you have a good PC and will be even more worth later this year.

Why would you need one? Are you only privileged to certain knowledge of games if you own one? I've played a ton of the 360 games (a good friend is hardcore into consoles) and they offer nothing unique at all. In fact, I can go buy a 360 controller and suddenly my PC is essentially a 360. Gears? Good game, but will make its way to the PC. Halo series? Don't get me started. There's other games, sure, but nothing that makes me want to go out and spend $400 on. There's a decent amount of solid games on the 360, but nothing that's new. As a jaded gamer the 360 is certainly not for me, the Wii however is. You might have limited experience but I've logged in around 30 hours into the little machine without even owning it!

Why would you need one? Are you only privileged to certain knowledge of games if you own one? I've played a ton of the 360 games (a good friend is hardcore into consoles) and they offer nothing unique at all. In fact, I can go buy a 360 controller and suddenly my PC is essentially a 360.
But I doubt you have your PC connected to your PC? That's the first big difference. Once you have your 360, you prefer buying games for it - you don't have to install them and you have this addictive opportunity to unlock achievements. Plus there are and will be games on the console that will never be on PC.

Gears? Good game, but will make its way to the PC.
But when? In 2009?
Halo series? Don't get me started.
? I love Halo and waiting for a PC version to come out in 2010 would be very annoying.
There's other games, sure, but nothing that makes me want to go out and spend $400 on. There's a decent amount of solid games on the 360, but nothing that's new.
I don't know what you understand by "new". Actually I think that there will be tons of games on 360 in 2007 and not available on PC. On the other hand, there will be only a few really good games on Wii because 3rd party publishers will publish most of their high profile games on 360/PS3 and release ports of PS2 games on Wii (Scarface or Driver anyone?).
As a jaded gamer the 360 is certainly not for me, the Wii however is. You might have limited experience but I've logged in around 30 hours into the little machine without even owning it!
I have to say that Wii Sports was underwhelming for me. I know that there is Zelda, there will be Metroid Prome and Mario Galaxy, but what besides these titles? Probably not a lot. I had a DS and I loved Advance Wars or Elite Beat Agents, but non-games or gimmick games such as WarioWare, Brain Training or Nintendogs got boring very very quickly and it'll be a while when Wii will have enough quality real games to justify buying it.

But I doubt you have your PC connected to your PC? That's the first big difference. Once you have your 360, you prefer buying games for it - you don't have to install them and you have this addictive opportunity to unlock achievements. Plus there are and will be games on the console that will never be on PC.

Achievements are not addicting to me. Doing something over and over for no reason other than to say I did comes across as a person with a lot of free time. Not a good game mechanic nor something that adds to gameplay.

But when? In 2009?

Maybe? Its not a good enough game for me to spend $400. Its barely good enough to justify $40. I personally would not pay full price for it (or any game for that matter unless its just simply amazing, which GoW is not).

? I love Halo and waiting for a PC version to come out in 2010 would be very annoying.

I'm happy that you like, I think its just a slightly above average FPS game.

I don't know what you understand by "new". Actually I think that there will be tons of games on 360 in 2007 and not available on PC. On the other hand, there will be only a few really good games on Wii because 3rd party publishers will publish most of their high profile games on 360/PS3 and release ports of PS2 games on Wii (Scarface or Driver anyone?).

By new I mean something other than flashy graphics. Which as of right now is what these "next generation" consoles are looking like. Also, there's no way you can say if the Wii will have good third party support as of right now. If the system continues to sell like it is now then I'd be willing to bet it DOES have strong third party support. Cheap development, large market, etc.

I have to say that Wii Sports was underwhelming for me. I know that there is Zelda, there will be Metroid Prome and Mario Galaxy, but what besides these titles? Probably not a lot. I had a DS and I loved Advance Wars or Elite Beat Agents, but non-games or gimmick games such as WarioWare, Brain Training or Nintendogs got boring very very quickly and it'll be a while when Wii will have enough quality real games to justify buying it.

Sorry, but I'm not the type to label things a "gimmick". I love the WarioWare games, I found Brain Training rather nice as a quick mobile games and Nintendogs is not for everyone.

... In fact, I can go buy a 360 controller and suddenly my PC is essentially a 360. Gears?...

Little bit of a stretch...But to me, the deal breaker is...

Playing on the couch.

It's as simple as that. While I have fun, sitting at my computer desk, playing PC games on my 23" monitor, it can't touch playing on my couch, on a 55" screen.

Plus all the other games that I can't play on my PC:

Gears of War
Viva Pinata
PGR 3
Lost Planet
Dead Rising
Condemmed
etc...

360 is WELL WORTH the $400 if you want a high quality HD gaming experience with some fantastic games that are already out.

No brainer.

Why would you need one? Are you only privileged to certain knowledge of games if you own one? I've played a ton of the 360 games (a good friend is hardcore into consoles) and they offer nothing unique at all. In fact, I can go buy a 360 controller and suddenly my PC is essentially a 360. Gears? Good game, but will make its way to the PC. Halo series? Don't get me started. There's other games, sure, but nothing that makes me want to go out and spend $400 on. There's a decent amount of solid games on the 360, but nothing that's new. As a jaded gamer the 360 is certainly not for me, the Wii however is. You might have limited experience but I've logged in around 30 hours into the little machine without even owning it!

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but to call the 360 a "PC with a controller" is completely incorrect. The gaming experience is vastly different, and it's actually converted a lot of people who find it vastly superior. Not saying it's "killed PC gaming", but it's certainly taken a lot of shine off it - at least for a portion of the gaming base who own one.

Additionally, you can't pigeon-hole the 360 as a machine with simply GoW and Halo. Like several people have pointed out, there are dozens of different and interesting games you just won't get on the PC. Give me Gears, Dead Rising, Lost Planet, Crackdown, Viva Pinata, Kameo on PC. Can't get them? Suddenly your "PC with a controller" doesn't add up.

Digi: The Wii is of course a different experience - and no doubt you'll have fun. Just make sure the library of games today (and tomorrow) are what you're after.

Additionally, you can't pigeon-hole the 360 as a machine with simply GoW and Halo. Like several people have pointed out, there are dozens of different and interesting games you just won't get on the PC. Give me Gears, Dead Rising, Lost Planet, Crackdown, Viva Pinata, Kameo on PC. Can't get them? Suddenly your "PC with a controller" doesn't add up.

However, none of those games add up for me at least worth justifying the purchase of the system. They're all good/decent rentals but nothing amazing or really anything that's stand out.

In fact, I can go buy a 360 controller and suddenly my PC is essentially a 360.

What a ridiculous statement. 90% of the games on 360 are not available on PC, so no, not even close.

Plugging you controller in your PC gives you a 360 sure....a gimped 360, which can play a tiny fraction of it's game library.

The original question was will the Wii be funner, well that depends on the types of games you enjoy, the PC is a completely different experience than either, and does not have anywhere near the diversity of nextgen games available for 360.

What a ridiculous statement. 90% of the games on 360 are not available on PC, so no, not even close.

Plugging you controller in your PC gives you a gimped 360, which can play a tiny fraction of it's game library.

I'll remember next time that all statements are taken literally.

Back