Is Elite Bastards pro-nVidia now?

DemoCoder said:
Before I even heard the specs for XB360 and PS3, I knew I'd own both.
On a similar note, i knew i'd own neither. :)

as to the ati/nv crud. When there is a game out there that pushes the limit of my current card, ill look at my options and purchase accordingly.

epic

_xxx_ said:
Bjorn said:
we're still waiting for HDR enabled games that works on the 9800.

9800 isn't HDR-capable AFAIK. Unless something magical happened lately...

Of course it is. There's a bunch of FP24 fragment processors in there, and it can render floating point buffers. It just can't blend them.

HDR simply means high dynamic range. It doesn't require the use of an FP blend unit in any way, for something to be capable of 'HDR'.

Rys said:
It doesn't require the use of an FP blend unit in any way, for something to be capable of 'HDR'.

Didn''t know that, I thought FP blending has to be there for HDR to work :oops:

DemoCoder said:
Dig breaks out in a sweat because someone, somewhere says something nice about an NV product on a previously ATI tilted site.
Now where did this come from DC? I was asking for opinions, I wasn't casting judgements. :(

I thought FP blending has to be there for HDR to work
Of course, you don't need FP blendng or filtering for HDR. In fact, you don't even need a GPU!

More seriously though, FP blending and filtering means developers can add HDR with a lot less effort; it will run a lot faster than if you filtered manually in the shader, and used buffer ping-ponging to do blending.

This thread was pitiful to read... Fun, like any of the other shows played by the local fanboys, but pitiful nonetheless.

This whole corporate allegiance thing, with fully grown-up and supposedly normal beings, is out of control.

And while we're at it, some of the IHV supporters should learn to write shorter missives about their beloved company.
Reading inane and completely biased fan-fictions bordering the insanity is already a pain as it is, but reading 10K words of inane and biased fan-fiction is a torture (Well, if you read those posts in the first place, that is).

Vysez said:
Reading inane and completely biased fan-fictions bordering the insanity is already a pain as it is, but reading 10K words of inane and biased fan-fiction is a torture (Well, if you read those posts in the first place, that is).
Now you see, since you haven't established which IHV you've sworn allegiance to, I have no idea to whom you're referring :? :p

Well, I've certainly been being chatty of late. But you guys have to promise that if I start getting at WaltC length with any kind of regularity that y'all will stage an intervention. :LOL:

geo said:
But you guys have to promise that if I start getting at WaltC length with any kind of regularity that y'all will stage an intervention. :LOL:
I promise that I will never let you make a fool of yourself (For a too long moment, that is. I laugh at you a few minutes and then I'll stop you. :p )

trinibwoy,
It's all about S3!! Virge 3D decelerator for life!

That remind me, that a few years ago I throw my VirgeGX... This industry is moving too fast! I'm not even sure there's high res pictures of the thing, nor of games running on it, on the web these days.
We really should create a 3D accelerator web museum or something.

So, at the considerable risk of sending people off to their bad place. . .that quote from Orton in my sig:

"take the definition of 'performance leadership' to a whole new level." is something to conjure with. Typical CEO trying to calm the crowd while the smell of smoke is coming from the rear of the theater? 'Cause literally would suggest visions of R300 vs NV30. . .

I put it in my sig for two reasons. One as ATI's statement of confidence that R520 is back on track. . .and two as a reference point of their own choosing to judge R520 when it does show up.

DemoCoder said:
Man, it's like a broken record. Same old sht, day after day, week after week.

Yea, nV is the pits, i'n't it?...:) Heh...;)

But I really can't agree with you, DC. Things have changed, and for the better, I think. nV isn't trying to dissuade me from DX9 nor is it trying to sell me DX8 in the form of nV3x anymore--so I consider nV to have at least partially broken free of its prior self-destruct mold and to have advanced past the dark days of nV30. That's definitely a positive, don't you think?

My biggest fear, now that ATi has succeeded in getting nV to play follow-the-leader and dragged it kicking and screaming into DX9 and beyond, is that ATi will become confused and start chasing its tail by regressing back into a defensive mode in its responses to the things nV is doing today.

I surely hope that doesn't happen, as that indeed would be the same, old, broken-record crap wouldn't it?...;)

IMO, R300 was the best, most innovative thing to hit 3d since the V1, and thankfully, despite the efforts of all nV's horses and all nV's men, nV40--the ultimate repudiation of everything nV ever said about nV30--was born. I don't fancy going backwards and would like to see present trends continue. Let's keep on moving forward, shall we? I think the best way to do that is to never forget the past lest we be doomed to repeat it.

Bjorn said:
Unlike ATi's HDR experiments (= hyped feature , HL2) with the 9800 then i guess ? This time there's at least playable games using the feature, but we're still waiting for HDR enabled games that works on the 9800.

Heh-Heh...;) The question as it portends to the nV version of HDR is not whether playable games claiming to support this feature exist, but whether such games are playable when this "feature" is turned on in them...;)

When I bought the 9800, btw, I didn't do so for HDR support--which I saw then, as now, as very small potatoes indeed. Please don't trivialize the remarkable advances R3x0 brought to the table by equating them with HDR. Considering how much great stuff there was about R3x0 to truthfully promote it seems so strange to see R3x0 revised merely to "HDR support". It's like missing the forest because of the tree.

Face it: had there been no R3x0 there'd have been no nV40, either. I feel exceptionally comfortable with that conclusion.

Vysez said:
I promise that I will never let you make a fool of yourself (For a too long moment, that is. I laugh at you a few minutes and then I'll stop you. :p )

It's been my long-held observation that generally those who laugh at my posts only do so because for some reason or another they understand very little of what I've said...:D Furthermore, such persons exhibit no desire to understand what I write should it transgress their favorite bias.

Such posts are generally identifiable by descriptive adjectives like "fool" or "fan-boy," as the respondents lack any other way of responding to my positions, which is understandable since they didn't understand me to begin with and they are frustrated by that inability. Or else they don't want to understand, which I suppose can be equally frustrating. But that's life, isn't it?...;) I try to avoid the use of such adjectives at all times, but then I rarely feel personally threatened by the dissenting opinions I encounter. Every once and awhile I'll read such an opinion that is worth thinking about, you know (but only so long as it remains free of such adjectives.)

Hey Walt, I think you missed the memo ;)

Vysez said:
And while we're at it, some of the IHV supporters should learn to write shorter missives about their beloved company.

Only WaltC can write long statements in a thread that both pours scorn on people who favour one company over the other whilst silmultaneously eulogising over Ati and their products... and then brashly stating that people think he is a fanboy because they do not understand what he writes :)

And long may it continue !

WaltC said:
Vysez said:

It's been my long-held observation that generally those who laugh at my posts only do so because for some reason or another they understand very little of what I've said...:D
Understanding what you say in your posts is not the problem, if we can call it that, of those who laugh at your posts.
No, the problem is that it's way too long for what it is. A simple opinion, that contains no informations of any sort (other than the poster's thoughts), on a message board.

While I enjoy reading most people posts, and therefore their opinions, awfully biased-or-not, there's, I admit, a limit to the time I can spend on reading a post. A verbose 10 000 words essay on how Ati is a wonderful company just doesn't cut it. Seriously, it does not.
Ati was just used as an example, of course... ;)

Don't take those remarks too seriously, though, I'm just jesting.
If you feel that you need a very long post to carry your views on a subject, that's your choice. It's just that a lot of people must skip your posts altogether because of that (Or it's because people are stupid and have profound inability to comprehend what you say, as you humbly implied :p ).

WaltC said:
Heh-Heh...;) The question as it portends to the nV version of HDR is not whether playable games claiming to support this feature exist, but whether such games are playable when this "feature" is turned on in them...;)

Far Cry with HDR is afaik playable on the NV40. You'll loose a lot of performance of course, but i'd rather wait to see some more games coming out with this feature to declare it useless on the NV40 series.

When I bought the 9800, btw, I didn't do so for HDR support--which I saw then, as now, as very small potatoes indeed. Please don't trivialize the remarkable advances R3x0 brought to the table by equating them with HDR. Considering how much great stuff there was about R3x0 to truthfully promote it seems so strange to see R3x0 revised merely to "HDR support". It's like missing the forest because of the tree

I don't really care why you bought the 9800 or that it brought other remarkable advances to the table cause we're talking about HDR here and yes, it was one of the feautures of the R300 that was brough up together with screenshots from HL2 and so forth. What i don't understand is you're criticism of the N40 and HDR when it's actually seems to work.

Bjorn , The r3x0 series will be capable of hdr . Wait for the patch to enable hdr in half life 2 . It may not run at 1600x1200 with it on , but it will run

Back