Is adaptive vsync going to save next-gen consoles?

Do you think adaptive vsync will help consoles against PCs?

• Yes

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • No

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • I dunno

Votes: 4 30.8%

• Total voters
I definitely think future consoles and TVs will support adaptive sync through HDMI, because why the hell not?
However, I voted "no" because I think adaptive sync will become standard in the PCs+monitors well before the new consoles + supporting TVs arrive in the market, so it'll just be something everyone has.
Yes but PCs already have adaptive vsync so currently they have an huge advantage against consoles even if it's not standard in the PC world.
When consoles will have it, it'll considerably level the playing field, so overall consoles will be a more interesting solution, relatively, than now. That's my theory.

plz change your vote ;)

It's another one of those advantages that doesn't really matter. Even on PC you aren't going to find the majority of gamers caring about it. Eventually every TV and monitor will probably support something like it and it will be the status quo. In the meantime it's something else early adopters can pay more for the privilege of having. Consoles are the funnel down of the high-priced PC privileges anyway and the masses are clearly satisfied with how that goes.

There is no consumer standard for 48 fps.
Well, I'm just going by what my TV (Panasonic plasma) lists for 24Hz/48Hz mode for BD content in conjunction with the 24Hz PS3 setting, which skips the pulldown although the lower refresh rate is noticeable.

Considering that the vast majority of home video (DVD/BD) are 24Hz, you'd think such a mode would have been more accessible to consumers by now.

And now we're talking about supporting a more flexible mode that would essentially benefit only games.

Isn't the real problem here the fact that no TVs in the near or far future are expected to support any type of adaptive V-Sync? Not much point in consoles supporting it just for the few people who hook them up to new monitors, which must be a minuscule minority. Which consequently means that no, adaptive v-sync will not save next gen consoles as, even if they did support it, not many people would be taking advantage of it.

Unless I missed a memo and newer TVs will in fact support it, in which case I stand corrected. I have seen absolutely nothing regarding this and I read a lot about new TVs. 2016 panels for sure don't. These days it's all about 4K and HDR and never have I seen adaptive v-sync mentioned.

Samsung is including adaptive sync over HDMI on some of their upcoming monitors. It's only a matter of time before they start putting it on TVs. Samsung has been a huge supporter for adaptive sync ever since it was announced by AMD so that move doesn't surprise me.

It likely won't see wide adoption unless 1 of 2 things happens however.

1. Adaptive sync officially becomes part of the HDMI specifications.
2. Display chip makers (scaler, etc.) for TVs include support for Adaptive sync into their HDMI chips regardless of whether it is part of the spec or not. Work started on this with adaptive sync over DP prior to it becoming an optional part of the DP standard. So it's possible it could happen for HDMI as well.

That said, I'm not sure if there's as much of a push for adaptive sync over HDMI as there was for DP. PC gamers seem far more interested in getting monitors specifically geared towards gaming. I don't see that sort of interest from most console gamers, otherwise you'd see a lot more TVs with low input latency and low pixel response times. But that is extremely rare in TV land even when they offer a "gaming" or "PC" setting it's often far worse than an average non-gaming PC monitor.

For PC there's a whole market for low response time and low input latency monitors (hence why TN panels still exist) and adaptive sync plays to the types of people that are into that as well as a slightly broader range of gamers. That just doesn't exist for TVs hence why you'll never find a TV as good for gaming as an average gaming monitor.

Regards,
SB

Heh, I sooo want to get that Monitor. :) If it was 2,000-2,500 USD I'd probably pull the trigger on it. But I think I'll wait until 2nd tier Korean monitor makers start to release 40"+ monitors based on LG (or other panel maker) A-/B+ grade OLED panels. That might be a while depending on how quickly LG (or other panel makers) can ramp up large sized OLED panel production.

Regards,
SB

You can get a non-TN panel on PC that has extremely low input latency but it costs a fortune :p Although to be fair most IPS panels right now have very acceptable response time.
I am not sure buying now a $5000 4K monitor that doesn't have adaptive vsync is a good idea. At that price they could have included at least freesync.
What a waste.

Back