IRiver Readies WiBro based Game Player

Great design, but that controller looks awful for actually playing games with. Very neat idea, but I expect it'll cost bucketloads (without software subsidising it), and will not have nearly the same support as DS or PSP. Looks like it'd be a great multimedia device though (even if it does look a touch big).

The 2700g is already used to drive the PepperPad's even larger 800x600 display, but a large screen for gaming like iriver's would obviously be better suited by a more powerful MBX.

A processing architecture can accurately be called a processor when it's only being referred to in a functional sense and not in any specific implementation.
The PowerVR MBX graphics processor is an IP core specifically developed to meet the growing multimedia needs of low power, low cost system-on-chip (SoC) applications...

This new iriver player is named G10 and runs Windows Mobile 5, and the game pictured is apparently a Korean PC title which is one of the most popular online games in the world.

see colon said:
about the screen, it better have better response time than the PSP, because the gosting drives me nuts in both movies and games.

so the 100ms response time, as reported by c´t is not good enough?

apparently not. i'm not the only person that sees ghosting on psp while playing games or watching UMDs.

see colon said:
apparently not. i'm not the only person that sees ghosting on psp while playing games or watching UMDs.

I have no problem with my LCD, though my PSP is from an early batch.

I've heard that Sony replaced the high quality brand of LCD from the early batches to a lesser-quality but more cost-efficient LCD some months ago. The response time may be the difference. I don't have a link to back my claim up though.

mckmas8808 said:
At least no one hear thinks that this IRiver could be a better gaming machine than the PSP.

Depends on what you mean by "gaming machine".

Do you judge this just by performance? Then it very well might be more powerful than the PSP.

But if you are taking into account the games available to it, then I'd have to say 'no chance'.

Ty said:
Depends on what you mean by "gaming machine".

Do you judge this just by performance? Then it very well might be more powerful than the PSP.

But if you are taking into account the games available to it, then I'd have to say 'no chance'.

Well of course I mean games available on it. I could careless about potential performance if it has nothing to show for it.

pixelbox said:
is it just me or is the 24k color display sounds really bad compared to 18.5 million for psp screen?
Where did you find those weird numbers?

Lazy8s said:
The 2700g is already used to drive the PepperPad's even larger 800x600 display, but a large screen for gaming like iriver's would obviously be better suited by a more powerful MBX.

The PepperPad doesn't even have 3D enabled, does it? Given the MBX low performance at VGA on the Dell Axim I can't imagine it would be used at an even larger (SVGA) resolution.

SiBoy said:
MBX is not a processor. Are you suggesting Intel's 2700G? Seems pretty underpowered at 800x480. Maybe a new ATI or Nvidia handheld chip?

Let's see the latter announced let alone presented in prototypes first.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whether MBX Lite's 3D performance is good enough for larger resolution displays depends on how high expectations of 3D on handhelds generally are; FSAA would obviously be dropped. The Axim is able to run VGA games which share assets from their Xbox/PS2 ports like Virtual Pool Mobile.

cloudscapes said:
I have no problem with my LCD, though my PSP is from an early batch.

I've heard that Sony replaced the high quality brand of LCD from the early batches to a lesser-quality but more cost-efficient LCD some months ago. The response time may be the difference. I don't have a link to back my claim up though.
my PSP was from the US launch, first shipment. for the record, the new GBAsp's " new brighter screen" drives me nuts, too, because of ghosting. the old screen was rock solid, as is the DS's

SiBoy said:
The PepperPad doesn't even have 3D enabled, does it? Given the MBX low performance at VGA on the Dell Axim I can't imagine it would be used at an even larger (SVGA) resolution.
I've had a PepperPad in my hands today, and frankly, I'd recommend buying an Axim and spending the rest of the money on a nice holiday instead. But please don't think the PepperPad's "speed" is indicative of what MBX can do – or in this case, MBX Lite.

Xmas said:
I've had a PepperPad in my hands today, and frankly, I'd recommend buying an Axim and spending the rest of the money on a nice holiday instead. But please don't think the PepperPad's "speed" is indicative of what MBX can do – or in this case, MBX Lite.

Actually its the opposite. Lazy8s used the presence of the MBX in Pepperpad as an example of a graphics core capable of driving the larger screen sizes.

Lazy8s said:
Which processors beside MBX would be practical for potentially running 3D games at 800x480?

I'm simply pointing out this isn't the case. I used the Pepperpad at CES today and the MBX is not even enabled.

MBX is a preferred choice for display chips too, then.

It's also specced to drive 3D graphics up to 1280x1024 or 1024x768 in the Sega Sammy Aurora's SH3707.

Back