Iraq and MONEY!

Again, US taxpayers should be livid, especially in a period of expanding federal deficits.

First of all, they should be pissed because there's no bidding process. Secondly, one shouldn't automatically bar any lower bidders without a better excuse than the one put forward by the White House and the Pentagon.

Willmeister said:
Don't be too proud of Canada's heroic stance.

Don't worry it embarrasses me thoroughly.

It was a CLASSIC example of the Liberals 'say one thing, do the other.' Despite Chretien getting up in Parliment saying that Canada would not be involved as a matter of principle, it turns out he may have arbitrarily redeployed our navy from it's Parliment-approved mission for the UN to allowing the US to use them to protect their carriers. Our forces actually BECAME part of the 'Coalition of the Sorta Willing Just Don't Let Our Voters Know About It.' It has been said that we had over 1,300 navy personnel basically attached to the US navy without Parlimentary approval, and that doesn't include the Canadian personnel helping to plan the Iraqi invasion down in Florida before they moved on to Qatar...

I know all about Canada's involvement. I have a brother in the air force who was stationed in the UAE during the time of the invasion of Iraq. It was the Canadian governments stance that lead to the anti American attitude overall. Never mind the negative CBC coverage.(As per usual.)

I'm still looking into these allegations, but given Chretien's past history, it wouldn't surprise me if it were true. I actually DREAD Paul Martin in the PMO now. Actual dread. Though the disintegration of the new conservative party has lifted my spirits. This is really unrelated so I'm not going into that here.

Again Martin ought to be an improvement over Chretien. Chretien was an utter embarrassment. Reading your post you have an awfully different view of reality. Both the Canadian Alliance and Progressive Conservative parties have overwhelmingly voted in favor of the creation of the Canadian Conservative Party. "Disintegration"??

http://canada.com/national/story.asp?id=49E5B523-6785-4C04-88F7-8F80A20924C0

I am not going on about it with someone who has a skewed version of reality as you in any thread.

Barnabas said:
I really don't understand what the fuss is all about. Those who fight get their share of the treasure, those who abstain don't. Sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

If it were that way, then I would say it's reasonable as well. But it seems what makes a difference is not whether you sent troops or took any such risk, but rather if you voted for or against in the UN. And in that case it does look a little childish.

Willmeister said:
Again, US taxpayers should be livid, especially in a period of expanding federal deficits.

First of all, they should be pissed because there's no bidding process. Secondly, one shouldn't automatically bar any lower bidders without a better excuse than the one put forward by the White House and the Pentagon.

You are high. This is the USA! If other countries are not willing to step up and do the "right" thing why the hell do they expect the USA to let them in the bidding? Is this another example where countries are trying to take advantage of the USA's good will? From what I see many Americans are sick and tired of the pussies in europe. If you don't like it start something.

ByteMe said:
You are high. This is the USA! If other countries are not willing to step up and do the "right" thing why the hell do they expect the USA to let them in the bidding? Is this another example where countries are trying to take advantage of the USA's good will? From what I see many Americans are sick and tired of the pussies in europe. If you don't like it start something.

Please byteme you make us all look like a bunch of jerks. Not to mention italy, spain, uk, poland, and may other european countries. Basically we are mad at france, and france is jealous of us b/c they want to be a big important country instead of something about as important as california, new york, or texas.

Sxotty said:
Please byteme you make us all look like a bunch of jerks. Not to mention italy, spain, uk, poland, and may other european countries. Basically we are mad at france, and france is jealous of us b/c they want to be a big important country instead of something about as important as california, new york, or texas.

I would think I would only be making me look like a jerk if that would be the person's opinion. Don't you think what Germany/France/Russia are doing makes them look like jerks?

There are 25 MILLON lives in Iraq (you could include most of the world) that this is greatly affected and those immoral cry babies are acting like they are. If you can't get upset about something this important... what can you?

I think it is time for people to step up and let those &^%@*'s know exactly how we feel. They also don't seem to realize the more they act like this the less important in the world they become.

* I think the GDP of california is greater than any single country in the EU* I bet someone will look this up*

So as far as I am concerned, the governments and the people in those countries that support that government can kiss my American ass! We will do as we damn well please. And if they want to start something... then fine... they will just lose again.

For someone hating muslims as much as you do I find your sudden care for Iraqis remarkable.

It hasn't been one for a long time, even pre-dating the two Gulf Wars.

As far as contracting goes and this topic, US and any other coalition forces that attacked Iraq then asked for UN and International funding help to rebuild it and the US is now saying it wants to censor certain countries from the prospect of making money in Iraq with contracts.

This has confused the international community. That is the only real problem. Iraq and human rights and whats best for its people etc, blah, whateva - isn't really being debated by the people that matter.

.... meh

Sabastian said:
AFAIK Iraq has no offical constitution, yet. Just sayin.

AFAIK having an "official constitution" isn't a guarantee of the protection of human rights, nor does not having one preclude it.

Clashman said:
Sabastian said:
AFAIK Iraq has no offical constitution, yet. Just sayin.

AFAIK having an "official constitution" isn't a guarantee of the protection of human rights, nor does not having one preclude it.

I prefer common law myself so in a sense I agree. But this time period is one of upheaval and change. Such a time you would expect less civility and rule of law. Particularly with these moron terrorist. Soon there will be a constitution in place and hopefully the rule of law prevails.

Humus said:
For someone hating muslims as much as you do I find your sudden care for Iraqis remarkable.

And just when did I say I hated muslims' ? It is the religion of Islam (as practiced in most Islamic countries) that I hate. If the people had a better chance (from brainwashing starting as children) I don't see them picking the current flavors of Islam. This religion is the major cause of the "troubles" in the world.

The religion won't die but it is and will continue to go through some major changes. This is because the USA ain't taking their crap anymore. We will eliminate the problem areas.

It would also help if more of the Islamic people stood up to their oppressive governments. I see this starting to happen now.

ByteMe said:
Humus said:

And just when did I say I hated muslims' ? It is the religion of Islam (as practiced in most Islamic countries) that I hate. If the people had a better chance (from brainwashing starting as children) I don't see them picking the current flavors of Islam. This religion is the major cause of the "troubles" in the world.

The religion won't die but it is and will continue to go through some major changes. This is because the USA ain't taking their crap anymore. We will eliminate the problem areas.

It would also help if more of the Islamic people stood up to their oppressive governments. I see this starting to happen now.

Mind if I puke? :rolleyes:

You dont even know what Islam is, ever since the day you posted your rubbish about the Prophet being a 'terrorist' I have tried to ignore most of your idiotic political/religious rants.

You have zero credibility here, do you realise that?

Martin is going to be a disaster. His first priority is to repair 'strained US-Canada relations' I guess he wasn't paying much attention to how much public support Chretien got for his stance over Iraq now did he? So the first thing Paul is going to do is kiss Bush's ass. I suppose that's not a problem because he knows Canadians won't vote for the Alliance v2.0. So, Martin is basically set to do whatever the f*ck he wants without fear of a backlash come election day.

Reading your post you have an awfully different view of reality. Both the Canadian Alliance and Progressive Conservative parties have overwhelmingly voted in favor of the creation of the Canadian Conservative Party. "Disintegration"??

Here's an excerpt from a PC delegate in a riding in Ontario:

The membership of the PC party was 65,000 at the time of the vote; 15,000 of those new members having joined since the proposed merger was announced. Many of these new members were two-card carrying Alliance party members voting in favour of the merger twice, once as Alliance members and then again as PC party members. Of that 65,000, there were a possible 3,286 delegates elected at the local riding level in a process that did not reflect the opinion of members. If the majority of people showing up at a local delegate selection meeting were in favour of the merger, then all of the delegates became Yes delegates, even if 49 per cent of those attending opposed the merger.

and

For example, in Thunder Bay-Superior North, 36 people out of 135 total members showed up to vote at the delegate selection meeting — that's a 27 per cent turnout. Of those 36 in attendance, 24 voted for the merger and 12 opposed. All eight delegates elected supported the merger. The 12 who opposed had no voice in the final vote.

[My emphasis added]

Hardly a ringing endorsement now isn't it? Does this truly indicate that support of the rank-and-file? I don't think so... Maybe people shouldn't put too much stock in this 90% support.

Now, I was actually shocked that Brison has left before Orchard and would have lost money on that bet (so I'm happy I didn't). I'm REALLY interested in hearing what Orchard has to say. Clarke has poo-pooed the new party and their are rumblings Elsie is leaving too. Mackay made a HUGE mistake with this merger. As someone pointed out, you don't see Alliance people dropping out now do we?

Take Egypt, for example. Oppressive Western-backed government (Mubarak has inherited a mess not of his own making mind you). How far did the 'people' get when standing up to them? Not far, and then we wonder why anti-Western sentiment is brewing. How far do you think any dissidents get in Saudi Arabia? Why, they get a one-way ticket to 'chop-chop' square and nary a peep from us.

Back